List Mgmt. 2022 Trade Thread - Part III

Remove this Banner Ad

We are only still here because of the millions of $$ they give us

Was it the AFL that let Pelchin do what he did to the list

Was it the AFLs decision to go to Seaford

Gave us Good Friday game and we screwed that as well

We are only still here due to the fact they need nine games a week for TV.

Oh, and the little, insignificant detail of the 60,000 odd St Kilda supporters who support the club financially. Them too.

It wasn't the AFLs decision to go to Seaford, but it was the players' decisions to not act professionally in their attitude to the workplace. For $500,000 per annum, I'd find a way to make working in Seaford tolerable.

And we played a poor game in a marquee timeslot where all the revenue was going to ... another club. Fiddlesticks.

When Kevin Sheedy comes up with some blockbuster gimmick that includes St Kilda, I'll know attitudes are actually changing.

Personally, I'd just settle for an entirely uncompromised draft and an arbitrarily unfair schedule like the NFL has.

Yes we are in a similar boat and we structured to allow us to go hard at a De Goey but now that we failed in the bid rather than just saving the cap we have to reallocate it. Why should we have to pay 95% of the salary cap? A salary cap should be used to ensure that no club can over spend not to force clubs to over pay players. The smaller clubs already have the "small club penalty" to pay whereby they need to pay prospective recruits 25% more than the bigger clubs to even think about coming them but the AFL in it's wisdom have devised a system that means they cannot even save that extra wedge required.
Then we need to front load some contracts to keep the money up our sleeve.

According to trade radio Geelong had approached Bowes & his management very early this year. They are smart enough to know (given GCS history with Brodie) that GCS would be in trouble with his contract salary now.

A very smart move by an exceptionally well run club. Am I envious - incredibly!
If they were so interested in him early in the season, Gold Coast shouldn't need to throw in pick 7 into the deal.

How many Friday night games have we shat the bed

We are where are because of our poor management

Will always be their bitches while we carry so much debt
How many lobsided ANZAC Days, Dreamtime games, first game of the year have their been. How many blowout SHowdowns and local Derby's?

Do they get stopped?

Highlighted is so true, thats why the AFL like to keep us in debt. We are the Washington Generals and they rely on us poor deluded fools to put their hand in their pockets year in year out, while they laugh at us.

I stop my DD this Friday.

historically ive been the first to bang on about the lack of equalisation in the AFL and rules for some and rules for others.

but on the geelong one. i dont think there is any rule or equalisation measure that would be fair.

more transparency on the cap would be better. i.e. income in cap vs income outside of cap should be declared and publicly listed for every club. it doesn't impeach on any confidentiality and would help fans understand where their club is at.
Spot on about the cap. Everyone knows roughly how much all the players are on. What's wrong with knowing the exact amounts?

Sent from my SM-S908E using Tapatalk

If they were so interested in him early in the season, Gold Coast shouldn't need to throw in pick 7 into the deal.
Pick 7 is a bit of a failsafe. If the cats went cold on Bowes then Gold Coast would have to see out his contract, but with pick 7 there, you can guarantee that the interest will remain.

Missed my point by a long way but given the condescending nature of your reply I'm sure you are aware of that.

No i got your point and what i am saying to you, it's irrelevant how they got pick 7 as it was an offer to all 17 clubs. It's not a fixed result. As was rumoured a couple of weeks ago, his choice was Geelong or not moving. Your angry because Geelong took advantage of a lay down misere opportunity?

Anyways, moving on.

Will always be [the AFL’s] bitches while we carry so much debt.
This is the most significant point that can be made about our club as a whole.

There have been a number of things happen to us over the last decade or two that almost any other club would, at the very least, have rocked the boat about… we were silent…

This is why.

They have us by the balls, and we damn well know it.

Damian Barrett never misses a chance to have a shot at us does he? He stated that we are not going to attract players as we are not seen as a destination club. SOS was quick to suggest we just recruited Cordy, so Barrett changed his tack to high end players and SOS changed the subject.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ablett Jnr didn't leave for $100,000 per year more, he left for $1m per year more than Geelong were offering. Money talks - you just need enough of it.

The problem then is that all you get is lower-down clubs full of mercenaries.

Let's be honest, who in the last decade has come to St Kilda (Or North, or GC, or Adelaide to find success? Every player we've bought in fall into 2 categories - players looking for a game cause they're not good enough at their previous club (Membrey, Steele, Kent, Butler, Higgins, etc) or looking for fat stacks (Hanners, Hill, Carlisle, Crouch) - the problem is that the lower clubs have to pay overs for both types.

The only way out is on draft day, and we've crapped in that bed for the last 10 years.

And just to rub our noses in it, we now need to go cap in hand to other clubs in hope to move up the draft list TO PICK OUR ACADEMY PLAYER!!!

There have been a number of things happen to us over the last decade or two that almost any other club would, at the very least, have rocked the boat about… we were silent…

This is why.

100% this

This is why.

Still pissy they dicked us for Lovett's cost.

Souless bunch of figjams to ever squeeze into a suit and give a shit about anything not money. They funded his abuse of every victim.

Um dont you recall the Brodie deal? Brodie & pick #19 for basically taking on his salary. Bowes is the exact same process, Geelong knew there would be a sweetener.

Damian Barrett never misses a chance to have a shot at us does he? He stated that we are not going to attract players as we are not seen as a destination club. SOS was quick to suggest we just recruited Cordy, so Barrett changed his tack to high end players and SOS changed the subject.

I hate that arrogant campaigner but he's not wrong.

I don't think we're as bad as he suggests though, it's our future on-field prospects that are putting a damper on things. facilities, location, etc would be very attractive.

This is squarely on the AFL:

-When the suns completely cocked up their list AFL gifted them priority picks despite the fact they were pushing excellent talent out the door (lyons was delisted AFTER trade period concluded. He could've easily been traded but they didn't)

- so the suns had more young talent but the picks didnt actually fix the core problem: noone wanting to stay there because they were largely a rabble (see Lyons/Brodie/Bowes debacles)

- on top of this afl requires every club to spend 95% of the cap. Most of the suns older talent had already bailed so who TF do they pay?

- so the kids get way overs to the point the only way to get them off the books is to attach high picks to it.

- so this club that is winning 3 to 6 games a year (before this year) will at best have around 600k more than the premiers to attract free agents/keep their own OOC talent happy

How are they sposed to rebuild? Or us for that matter? If you dont hit a generational talent in the draft you're screwed

Why would you come to saints when the club thats missed finals once in a decade and just won a flag has the same level offers on table?

The AFLs equalisation measures are failing dramatically and the small struggling clubs are getting crushed by it

No i got your point and what i am saying to you, it's irrelevant how they got pick 7 as it was an offer to all 17 clubs. It's not a fixed result. As was rumoured a couple of weeks ago, his choice was Geelong or not moving. Your angry because Geelong took advantage of a lay down misere opportunity?

Anyways, moving on.
I'm angry that our incompetent club didn't throw everything they had at getting a decent player that still has potential when they know 7 is attached especially after saying that we want to target the draft... Well target it then!?

I'm also angry at the system and the morons who run it. They preach equalisation yet implement a system that does the obvious. They step in when they feel like it but allow other ridiculous stuff.

Do you think if Max King played at Geelong and Ben wanted to join him the AFL would have basically blocked it by topping up Ben's wage? No chance.

Cordy coming doesn't mean we are a destination club. We clearly aren't one. Damo is 100% right.

Um dont you recall the Brodie deal? Brodie & pick #19 for basically taking on his salary. Bowes is the exact same process, Geelong knew there would be a sweetener.
I doubt they were talking to Bowes early in the season because of a first round pick GC didn't know they would have being up for grabs.

The problem then is that all you get is lower-down clubs full of mercenaries.

Let's be honest, who in the last decade has come to St Kilda (Or North, or GC, or Adelaide to find success? Every player we've bought in fall into 2 categories - players looking for a game cause they're not good enough at their previous club (Membrey, Steele, Kent, Butler, Higgins, etc) or looking for fat stacks (Hanners, Hill, Carlisle, Crouch) - the problem is that the lower clubs have to pay overs for both types.

The only way out is on draft day, and we've crapped in that bed for the last 10 years.

And just to rub our noses in it, we now need to go cap in hand to other clubs in hope to move up the draft list TO PICK OUR ACADEMY PLAYER!!!

Three points:

• there should not be academies
  • players play for money. Everyone has a price. The solution is either complete amateurism (which is impossible) or complete capitalism. Everyone can be bought.
  • And I'm in the "we're worse at development than drafting" camp.

So I reckon Geelong are gonna have to split pick 7 if they want to get both Henry and bruhn. wonder who?

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2022 Trade Thread - Part III

Remove this Banner Ad

Back