List Mgmt. 2022 Trade Thread - Part III

Remove this Banner Ad

Some real persecution fetish behaviour on display at the moment.

The AFL is far from perfect, but Geelong getting Bowes isn't the sign of a failed equalisation system, it's a sign of Geelong being a better run club.

The equalisation measures can only provide equality of opportunity, they can't guarantee equality of outcome.

If we want success we need to draft good players, there is no alternative.

Three points:

• there should not be academies
  • players play for money. Everyone has a price. The solution is either complete amateurism (which is impossible) or complete capitalism. Everyone can be bought.
  • And I'm in the "we're worse at development than drafting" camp.

I'm for academies if it is an actual academy that everyone has the stipend for to run and opportunity, in its current form and since inception, you might as well go back to zones where some rando Victorian mob has half of WA, parts of NT and the entire tiwi islands for shits and giggles.

Is cactus.

Anywho...

GCS also shafted since they spent 2 years out of portables as AFL gave no shits and launched well at the wrong time for all involved, them I feel sorry for. GWS is case in point about how the AFL couldn't run a hamster on a wheel.

Why does it have to turn into a how shit we are conversation? This isn't just unfair for us it's unfair for the whole competition, Geelong just won the flag and get pick seven for nothing it's a joke it doesn't matter how poorly we've been run this is just a bullshit legup for them.

Damian Barrett never misses a chance to have a shot at us does he? He stated that we are not going to attract players as we are not seen as a destination club. SOS was quick to suggest we just recruited Cordy, so Barrett changed his tack to high end players and SOS changed the subject.
Not really fussed with what the media think , but one thing to look at if we do have cap space a team could well offload a salary dump in the next couple days and we will be one of the clubs who could well benefit from it - we could snag a Whitfield or Hayes - even if it is to strengthen our side for the next couple years until the Windhagers take the reins.

Why does it have to turn into a how s**t we are conversation? This isn't just unfair for us it's unfair for the whole competition, Geelong just won the flag and get pick seven for nothing it's a joke it doesn't matter how poorly we've been run this is just a bullshit legup for them.
Because it’s the Saints forum

Damian Barrett never misses a chance to have a shot at us does he? He stated that we are not going to attract players as we are not seen as a destination club. SOS was quick to suggest we just recruited Cordy, so Barrett changed his tack to high end players and SOS changed the subject.
I know we aren’t an attractive club at the moment, but how many have said no to us lately.
De goey? Yes
We’re we in the conversation for bowes? I’m not sure.

I just don’t think we are currently going hard after players like we have in the past few years.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

According to trade radio Geelong had approached Bowes & his management very early this year. They are smart enough to know (given GCS history with Brodie) that GCS would be in trouble with his contract salary now.

A very smart move by an exceptionally well run club. Am I envious - incredibly!
So approaching contracted players is ok now?

According to trade radio Geelong had approached Bowes & his management very early this year. They are smart enough to know (given GCS history with Brodie) that GCS would be in trouble with his contract salary now.

I call BS then why did he have to decide to go to Geelong then it should of been automatic to go there, they were monitoring him & courting weren’t they.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

But just as a thought experiment, what if we hadn't brought Wood in and so we were slightly worse this year, lost one more game. We would have finished two positions lower on the ladder, instead of picks 9, 28, 47, 85 we'd have 7, 25, 45, 83. And instead of Wood playing 19 games those 19 games would have been spread between Connolly and Nas and Byrnes and Owens, so we'd have more info about all of them, more development there.

Which of those two is the better outcome?

Considering we missed finals anyway, probably better to not have Wood. I know that's not how the decision making can work but in hindsight I'm not sure what we gained.
Fair point.
I would of liked to see Max Heath play a handful of games this year

Why does it have to turn into a how s**t we are conversation? This isn't just unfair for us it's unfair for the whole competition, Geelong just won the flag and get pick seven for nothing it's a joke it doesn't matter how poorly we've been run this is just a bullshit legup for them.
Because the reason it is happening is purely because of Free Agency and the fact that the player prefers Geelong to us, we'd have to guess that at least part of the reason is the performance of that club compared to ours.

Of course we can still complain about Free Agency

Cordy coming doesn't mean we are a destination club. We clearly aren't one. Damo is 100% right.

Yeah that's true, to be a destination club you need to get players that are being chased by other clubs, we seemed to be the only club chasing Cordy.

If we got the likes of De Goey, Taranto or Bowes plus pick 7 then we might be able to claim that we're a destination club but not by getting Cordy.

That just makes us look like a club that has to settle for second best players because we can't land the best players.

Would have to be with either GWS (12, 15, 19) or Sydney (14, 17)

WC are keen to split pick 2 so maybe GWS use those teens picks with them.
7 for Bruhn and 15 makes sense to me. Trade 15 for Henry. There might be some swapping of later picks involved in that too.

The AFLs equalisation measures are failing dramatically and the small struggling clubs are getting crushed by it

The AFL would love to equalise more, it's the AFLPA which doesn't want it. Equalisation is almost entirely opposed to players' rights.

• Get rid of the minimum salary cap spend - AFLPA hate it
  • Trade players without their consent - AFLPA hate it
  • Longer contracts for draftees - AFLPA hate it
  • Say that players can only name a state not a club - AFLPA hate it
  • Get rid of free agency - AFLPA hate it
  • Make salaries public - AFLPA hate it

And the AFLPA is seen to have the AFL by the balls because if they spin up a legal challenge against the player movement system, the prevailing view is that the courts will strike it down under restraint of trade and the whole thing will fall apart.

Suns just traded 25 and 36 for Tom Berry, what will we get for Long now 🤨

They got an ontraded future 2nd from GWS maybe that comes to us

Steve Hocking knew exactly what was happening at the Gold Coast, he then gets a job with Geelong and feeds them the inside info.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2022 Trade Thread - Part III

Remove this Banner Ad

Back