Injury 2023 injury thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
We will smoke GWS at home no worries without Danger.
Probably. I don't rate their form line miles and miles behind Adelaide though as far as competitiveness. They just haven't found ways to win a couple more. Beat Adelaide, scraped past Hawthorn, 3 goal loss to Brisbane, 2 goal losses to Carlton and Essendon, beat Sydney at the SCG, lost to Dogs by a few goals. Somehow lost to West Coast. I'd still put them down as a mid ranger but you're right we should beat those at home with something to spare, so long as our goal kicking isn't haywire like the weekend.

Probably. I don't rate their form line miles and miles behind Adelaide though as far as competitiveness. They just haven't found ways to win a couple more. Beat Adelaide, scraped past Hawthorn, 3 goal loss to Brisbane, 2 goal losses to Carlton and Essendon, beat Sydney at the SCG, lost to Dogs by a few goals. Somehow lost to West Coast. I'd still put them down as a mid ranger but you're right we should beat those at home with something to spare, so long as our goal kicking isn't haywire like the weekend.
They beat a poor Hawks at Norwood, they beat a ravaged Sydney at the SCG, and beat a wildly inaccurate Croms in Rd 1.

But they don't travel well. If they had the Hawks at the MCG I think they lose, likewise Hawks at GIANTS Stadium and they win by more than 2 points.

They will be competitive, especially while we have injuries, but I can't see them getting to within 3 goals of us and thats based on who we are playing against Richmond.

They beat a poor Hawks at Norwood, they beat a ravaged Sydney at the SCG, and beat a wildly inaccurate Croms in Rd 1.

But they don't travel well. If they had the Hawks at the MCG I think they lose, likewise Hawks at GIANTS Stadium and they win by more than 2 points.

They will be competitive, especially while we have injuries, but I can't see them getting to within 3 goals of us and thats based on who we are playing against Richmond.
True. I dunno, I feel like I'll fit in better here if I start overrating opponents and saying every match is a 50/50. People are going to keep doing it after the Adelaide match "vindicated" them. It should've been a 7 or 8 goal game even with Dangerfield missing half of it. I doubt we have another match this year where our opponents convert at 66% and we are below 50.

So yes you're right GWS should be comfortable. Tomorrow isn't a 50/50 for me either although I'm sure those words will come back to haunt me.

I'm really missing having Jack Henry out there each week. Watching last year's highlights - the mark running back against Richmond and then kicking the set shot with only minutes to go - yeah that'd be nice to have back in the team.

What's the latest on how far away he is?

Snippet from Geel Addy

Scott said forward Tyson Stengle (broken arm) was likely to play next week against Fremantle, while each of Dangerfield, Jack Bowes (calf), Sam De Koning (facial surgery), Jack Henry (foot), Gary Rohan (hamstring) and Cam Guthrie (toe) are on track to return in the next four games before the bye.

Ruck Rhys Stanley (eye socket) could be facing a longer stint out.

Yeah possibly. Would be nice against GWS stacked midfield, but grade 1 tears are very much a "wait and see" after the first 2 weeks - no matter how old you are.

When you get up around my age a Grade 1 tear needs a good 3 months of total bed rest mate........

When you get up around my age a Grade 1 tear needs a good 3 months of total bed rest mate........
Don't say that - early 30s and approaching end of week 2 mine does still feel dicey. But Dangerfield is super human by comparison. Reading Scott's comments, it does sound like Bulldogs would be the earliest and after the bye isn't out of the question.

Don't say that - early 30s and approaching end of week 2 mine does still feel dicey. But Dangerfield is super human by comparison. Reading Scott's comments, it does sound like Bulldogs would be the earliest and after the bye isn't out of the question.

Trust me.....it doesn't get any easier. Not far away and you'll find yourself quietly groaning with every movement, the ground seems further away, and recovery slows to a crawl.

Put it this way, it won't be too long and if you drop it, you'll leave it where it falls. If it's on the floor it won't exist 🤣

Back Ot, the situation with Danger is somewhat reminiscent of last year. No reason to believe he won't bounce back just as strong again this year.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Maybe Rohan. There are whispers even SDK and J.Henry are close.

No way would i take henry given how hard the optus surface is. He also might need a couple of vfl games for fitness anyway.

I doubt we get anyone back next week besides close and maybe stengle

No way would i take henry given how hard the optus surface is. He also might need a couple of vfl games for fitness anyway.

Agree about the surface but from memory he doesn't usually play VFL. Would not surprise me at all to see one or both Vs GWS.

Scott said in his presser mid week that Danger was touch and go for this week v the Tiges and if pushed could be ok for Freo... But, we are more likely to be cautious with him.

So I don't expect Danger to play... but you never know.

Happy for him to take his time though and it'll probably play out that way.

What actually happened to SDK?

I completely missed it.

"Geelong defender Sam De Koning underwent surgery on Wednesday afternoon to repair a nasal and maxillary bone fracture after sustaining the injury during the second half of the Club’s match against Essendon last Sunday at the MCG."

The shown footage when discussing the injury seem to suggest it was a friendly, stay elbow/forearm that collected him a little high in a marking contest

We will smoke GWS at home no worries without Danger.
Heard lines like this before…all this week for example.
We are utterly depleted and it will cost.
Freo away, and Doggies will be L!!
GWS IS A 50-50-they have wins against us at Geelong.

"Geelong defender Sam De Koning underwent surgery on Wednesday afternoon to repair a nasal and maxillary bone fracture after sustaining the injury during the second half of the Club’s match against Essendon last Sunday at the MCG."

The shown footage when discussing the injury seem to suggest it was a friendly, stay elbow/forearm that collected him a little high in a marking contest
Such an easy injury to cop on a weekly basis.
Must have needed repairing because the nose breaks are often fixed post season. The cheekbone was the bigger issue I suspect.

We had 8/9 players out, didn’t play very well and probably still would have won if we’d kicked straight. If we get a few back next week it’d be good. Nice for the kids to get some games anyway and they will improve every week. Reckon if we get even 2/3/4 back we will beat dogs and gws. Freo away might be hard atm, especially if they re on the way back. But yes, the injury count is taking a toll.

Last edited:

Those 2 would be very welcome.

Freo yes.
Dogs we have a good record against.
And a rebuilding gws we will beat at home we are way better on our narrow ground

Lucky enough to be at today's closed session. Lightish session with a handful of players who are coming back from injury/suspension continuing for a harder run.

Jack Henry looked to be moving fine and did the harder run. Told us he is not far off.

Stanley did all the running and a bit of skills but came over and talked to us and said his vision still isn't right so doesn't know how far off his is

Rohan did an 9km in an earlier session,felt fine. He is touch and go this week. If it was not in Perth or later in the season, he would play

Conway was really worked over and looked good. During the full team drill took 3 or 4 really impressive contested marks. Depending on fitness, wouldnt surprise me if they are priming him for a debut

Cuthrie and Menagola just jogged some laps and kicked the footy a bit

No sightings of Stengle or Danger

Lucky enough to be at today's closed session. Lightish session with a handful of players who are coming back from injury/suspension continuing for a harder run.

Jack Henry looked to be moving fine and did the harder run. Told us he is not far off.

Stanley did all the running and a bit of skills but came over and talked to us and said his vision still isn't right so doesn't know how far off his is

Rohan did an 9km in an earlier session,felt fine. He is touch and go this week. If it was not in Perth or later in the season, he would play

Conway was really worked over and looked good. During the full team drill took 3 or 4 really impressive contested marks. Depending on fitness, wouldnt surprise me if they are priming him for a debut

Cuthrie and Menagola just jogged some laps and kicked the footy a bit

No sightings of Stengle or Danger
Thanks.
Concerning about Stanley.
No sightings of Kroeger?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back