Injury 2023 injury thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Could have been a lot worse as both looked like long-term injuries to me on Friday night.

Stewart has been ruled out of Thursday night's blockbuster against Carlton at the MCG and is expected to miss up to a month.

Young gun Sam De Koning has been cleared of damage to his knee after a nasty incident in round one where he departed the game in the second quarter after his knee buckled beneath him while he ran backwards.

The 22-year-old is expected to face the Blues in round two in a big boost against a side containing the past two Coleman Medallists in Charlie Curnow and Harry McKay.

Could have been a lot worse as both looked like long-term injuries to me on Friday night.

Huge results. During the game I was more worried at the potential for one or both of these to be season-long outcomes than I was the result of the match. Sure we're having a bumpy start health-wise to start the season (particularly with our defenders) but better than this happening right before finals.

I wonder if maybe the fitness experts in AFL clubs are slowly reaching the limits of human physiology? I can't remember the last time so many players were injured in the first round. I wonder if pre-season is just more and more amped each season to get players as fit as possible? The increased strength/fitness might be leading to more injuries? Not sure how else you account for it, other than surface quality (which has admittedly been shit)

I wonder if maybe the fitness experts in AFL clubs are slowly reaching the limits of human physiology? I can't remember the last time so many players were injured in the first round. I wonder if pre-season is just more and more amped each season to get players as fit as possible? The increased strength/fitness might be leading to more injuries? Not sure how else you account for it, other than surface quality (which has admittedly been s**t)
Not sure but we have some contact and surface injures
Simpson - Concussion
Kolo - Concussion
Jack - foot stepped on
Stewy - NCL from a turf give way
SDK - Turf monster
Stengle - nearly beheaded by Howe

So if that list coms under the limits of human endurance, then ok but i reckon one could argue its external factors

Go CAtters

Simpson - Concussion
Kolo - Concussion
Jack - foot stepped on
SDK - Turf monster

So if that list coms under the limits of human endurance, then ok but i reckon one could argue its external factors

Go CAtters
Stengle's leg injury was also caused by the turf slippage, before the Collingwood player fell on it.

Simpson - Concussion
Kolo - Concussion
Jack - foot stepped on
SDK - Turf monster

Go CAtters

Simpson concussion again?

Or is this about last year?

Simpson concussion again?

Or is this about last year?
His preseason hold back was concussion and last I heard he got a shoulder stinger in teh VFL praccy or one of them - but i thought his olny hold back was still concussion - happy to be corrected.

GO Catters

His preseason hold back was concussion and last I heard he got a shoulder stinger in teh VFL praccy or one of them - but i thought his olny hold back was still concussion - happy to be corrected.

GO Catters
I think simpson is now fully available. Didn’t look completely back to fitness in vfl (stinger looked ok). But I think the only think holding him back now is no spots available (for him or Dempsey who look to be fighting for any spot in the forward line)

I think simpson is now fully available. Didn’t look completely back to fitness in vfl (stinger looked ok). But I think the only think holding him back now is no spots available (for him or Dempsey who look to be fighting for any spot in the forward line)
I still think he just needs 5 or 6 games straight in the VFL, has not played much after the 20 gf

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not the worst injury report we've faced, Kolo likely to play, Duncan and Stewart getting closer, and Mena/Henry supposedly progressing strongly as well.

Mostly excited to hear that Toby is back running again, though. Would be great to see him back out there after a good block of training in the next month or so.

There’s also encouraging news on developing ruckman Toby Conway.

“Toby some time ago had a navicular stress reaction in his foot,” he said. “He has done a huge amount of stair work to strengthen his foot and he's now two weeks running so in the short term he'll start to be introduced to training loads with footballs. Toby's a very important part of our future and it's going to be great to see him back out on the training track”.

Not the worst injury report we've faced, Kolo likely to play, Duncan and Stewart getting closer, and Mena/Henry supposedly progressing strongly as well.

Mostly excited to hear that Toby is back running again, though. Would be great to see him back out there after a good block of training in the next month or so.

Feelgood "Injury" News.
No news on Cameron, Stanley, Ceglar, SDK

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back