List Mgmt. 2023 List Management thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mod notice after Mr Bob did a lot of annoying work in moving days of posts out of here. As we are heading into offseason, this thread is for 2023 list management only. Getting upset on previous trades can be taken to the vent thread. Lets keep this thread on track in the part of the year it's actually relevant

Last edited:
Henry would be worth a third-rounder a late second if he keeps playing like last week.
He's the best wing in the comp if he plays like last week consistently, we'd get a top 20 pick if that happened, I'm sure of it. We'd also want to be keeping him if that happens though

He's the best wing in the comp if he plays like last week consistently, we'd get a top 20 pick if that happened, I'm sure of it. We'd also want to be keeping him if that happens though
It'd be a massive blow if he plays like that the rest of the season then leaves. Can't exactly blame the club for offering him not much or nothing given what he's shown before this weekend though.

Best I'd hope for would be a late second rounder tbh as realistically he won't play like Saturday every week.

I've thought he's been gone for a while but mainly based on lack of opportunity. If he plays for the rest of the year maybe that changes.

I've said before I'd like two top 30 picks if possible. I don't think Henry gets us that on his own but he may get us a very important piece towards doing so.

If Henry keeps playing like he did on the weekend, that it is basically a slower and smaller version of the last few years Langdon had with us. We got what amounted to pick 33. Got screwed, but that's what usually happens with uncontracted players.

Henry averaging 25 odd touches until the end of the year might get us something in that 30-35 range at best, but he wouldn't be rated as highly as Langdon was, and more likely we are looking at 35-45 (and we already have two picks in that range tie to North/Carlton). Depends who is buying and where their picks are. If Henry's form drops off, he might be worth a 4th rounder that is probably useless to us (already have North's 4th).

The best case would be that Brockman wants out from Hawthorn and we can do some kind of swap of players and late picks.

1 good game doesn't mean Henry has dramatically increased his trade value. I mean look at Blake Acres last year, an out of contract but much better and more consistent player only netted us a future 3rd round pick.

I think best case for Henry is what we got for Acres but much more likely a 4th rounder is what we get for Henry unless he repeats what he just did many many times to end the season.

I might be splitting hairs but I still you above are selling his game short on the weekend. If he plays like that most weeks then he's basically a discount Nick Daicos and is one of the best wings in the game at like 21. Now, obviously, he's not going to play like that every week but Alfonz mentions him averaging 25 touches would be a pick in the 30s. He'd be a 21 year old gun if he averages 25 touches the rest of the year with the way he can cut teams up with his agility and disposal and would surely get close to or inside pick 20. Dont underestimate the impact simply being a former first round pick has on the player value when young.

Clark while contracted was a pick close to 20 and couldnt get a game.

1 good game doesn't mean Henry has dramatically increased his trade value. I mean look at Blake Acres last year, an out of contract but much better and more consistent player only netted us a future 3rd round pick.

I think best case for Henry is what we got for Acres but much more likely a 4th rounder is what we get for Henry unless he repeats what he just did many many times to end the season.
No, it doesnt, but we are talking hypotheticals at the end of the season here. You're neglecting his age. At a minimum, IF Henry is best 22 the rest of the year and plays consistently well where people arent calling for him to be dropped, he'd get a 2nd round pick of some sort at minimum IMO

If he repeats what he did many times over. He would have cemented his spot and would likely re-sign with a new contract. Despite the opposition that is still the best case scenario for Freo and Henry.

If he was to go there must be an interested party and I’ve felt from what I’ve seen he would be worth a third round pick. His form if replicated back end of second round. Pick range around 34-42.

Blake Acres was 27 though. Everyone knew his ceiling, and there were no other bidders bringing the cost up.

Henry is 21 and a top ten pick. His ceiling is still unknown. If Henry stays in the team for the rest of the year and continues to put up pretty good numbers (around the 25 possession mark), he should be a late second rounder or early third. Melbourne's second at pick 34/35 sounds okay, although no doubt we'll probably get a future pick.

That may just be because we haven't started contract negotiations. Doubt we haven't because we definitely don't want him but just because we want a better idea of what we will be getting. The better liam plays now the better contract he will get also
The club want him to realise his potential!
Thats why we have been sticking with him.
...top ten pick...21yo...our bet is still alive.
Of course contract talks have started.
Two years would be absolute minimum to safeguard the punt!

Last edited:
I reckon we’d be lucky to get our own 2nd rounder back from Melbourne (given his best mate kosi signed an extension with them) which is likely to be late 20’s
I don't buy this 'best mate' narrative. Henry's best mates would be some of his current teammates. He would be very happy to stay here. Just needs to prove his worth to us.

I would say pick 35-40 is Liam Henry’s value IF he remains in the freo team for the rest of the season.

If he doesn’t, a token pick around 50.
He’s OOC after all. Langdon was a much better player, similar age and as someone pointed out we still got screwed in that trade. When have we ever got anything soft in a trade from the Demons?

Top 10 pick talk is laughable.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I might be splitting hairs but I still you above are selling his game short on the weekend. If he plays like that most weeks then he's basically a discount Nick Daicos and is one of the best wings in the game at like 21. Now, obviously, he's not going to play like that every week but Alfonz mentions him averaging 25 touches would be a pick in the 30s. He'd be a 21 year old gun if he averages 25 touches the rest of the year with the way he can cut teams up with his agility and disposal and would surely get close to or inside pick 20. Dont underestimate the impact simply being a former first round pick has on the player value when young.

Clark while contracted was a pick close to 20 and couldnt get a game.
I mentioned that 25 touches because that is what Langdon averaged before he was traded, and with the greater body of work and greater speed, he would have been worth more at the trade table than Henry is going to be.

Henry's disposal is not something that cuts teams up at the moment. Lots of short chips, including sideways and backwards. He doesn't have that line breaking pure speed like Langdon or Hill. That is worth a lot on the trade table.

You said it yourself with Clark about the contract status. If he was out of contract then he would have gone for something in the pick 35-50 range.

I would say pick 35-40 is Liam Henry’s value IF he remains in the freo team for the rest of the season.

If he doesn’t, a token pick around 50.
He’s OOC after all. Langdon was a much better player, similar age and as someone pointed out we still got screwed in that trade. When have we ever got anything soft in a trade from the Demons?

Top 10 pick talk is laughable.
I think if Henry stays in the team the rest of the year and is clear best 22, Langdon at a comparative age is no longer a better player. I think a lot forget he frustrated a lot of people on here

I mentioned that 25 touches because that is what Langdon averaged before he was traded, and with the greater body of work and greater speed, he would have been worth more at the trade table than Henry is going to be.

Henry's disposal is not something that cuts teams up at the moment. Lots of short chips, including sideways and backwards. He doesn't have that line breaking pure speed like Langdon or Hill. That is worth a lot on the trade table.

You said it yourself with Clark about the contract status. If he was out of contract then he would have gone for something in the pick 35-50 range.
Like I said above, bit of rewriting the narrative on Langdon around here. Many werent fussed on losing him because his kicking was so poor. Henry definitely had some nothing possessions (as any player getting 30+ touches on the wing will have) but he created a few goal chances no one else in our team could have. He is very damaging when on.

Looks like the majority agree with you. I think that's stuck in thinking about historical Henry and not best 22 Henry but hopefully he keeps playing well the rest of the year as we can only win if that happens (and we can find out who was right on his trade value =p).

I think a lot forget he frustrated a lot of people on here
his ball movement towards the end

Jerry Seinfeld GIF

Like I said above, bit of rewriting the narrative on Langdon around here. Many werent fussed on losing him because his kicking was so poor. Henry definitely had some nothing possessions (as any player getting 30+ touches on the wing will have) but he created a few goal chances no one else in our team could have. He is very damaging when on.

Looks like the majority agree with you. I think that's stuck in thinking about historical Henry and not best 22 Henry but hopefully he keeps playing well the rest of the year as we can only win if that happens (and we can find out who was right on his trade value =p).

Like it or not, but historical Henry will have some part in the trade. Teams won't pay top dollar based on half a season of good football (if that is what is about to happen). People might not have been fussed losing Langdon, but he had consecutive top 5 finishes in the Doig before leaving.

And speed is something that is important. Langdon's disposal was never great and definitely frustrating. But he could run much faster/longer than Henry. I sit on the wing and the pure gut running from Langdon and Hill was a sight to behold live, and we have not really found anyone close in that regard yet. And maybe won't be able to (because very few can run like that) and have to settle for something different.

Like it or not, but historical Henry will have some part in the trade. Teams won't pay top dollar based on half a season of good football (if that is what is about to happen). People might not have been fussed losing Langdon, but he had consecutive top 5 finishes in the Doig before leaving.

And speed is something that is important. Langdon's disposal was never great and definitely frustrating. But he could run much faster/longer than Henry. I sit on the wing and the pure gut running from Langdon and Hill was a sight to behold live, and we have not really found anyone close in that regard yet. And maybe won't be able to (because very few can run like that) and have to settle for something different.
Yeah, I mean, if he had played like he did on the weekend for the majority of his career so far then the top 10 pick would be A LOT less fanciful (seriously, both coaches had him 3rd best on). I'm adjusting for historical performances. Like I said, most seem to agree with you. I really really hope he keeps up a similar output, it will be interesting to track peoples valuations as I'd bet they change but unfortunately it's far more likely that was comfortably his best game for the season.

Jack Ginevan is worth a look. Not best 22, but would be for us.
Wouldn't get a game for us, he is too slow

Doesn't replace any of our smalls

Umpires no longer pay head high free kicks to him, it was one of his biggest strengths

Bloke has footy smarts but Bobby Hill has shown the difference in attributes, even Harvey Harrison has come in with a bit more leg speed and is holding Ginni out, If I was Ginnivan I'd be talking to a professional sprinter this off season and trying to fix the flaw because those high tackle frees aren't coming back

Wouldn't get a game for us, he is too slow

Doesn't replace any of our smalls

Umpires no longer pay head high free kicks to him, it was one of his biggest strengths

Bloke has footy smarts but Bobby Hill has shown the difference in attributes, even Harvey Harrison has come in with a bit more leg speed and is holding Ginni out, If I was Ginnivan I'd be talking to a professional sprinter this off season and trying to fix the flaw because those high tackle frees aren't coming back
Have not watched him close enough.

Did not realise he was slow.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back