List Mgmt. 2023 List Management

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh, we are really trying to take anyone and everyone down at the moment. Too bad the peanut man is no longer around, could have blamed him too. Maybe the people who can identify the real issues start moving toward addressing them in a proper, professional manner. Thank goodness that we don't get to make those calls;)
He’s the one making L/T contracts shoring up (an underperforming) list, isn’t he?
SOS poor drafting other than ’15 (mess that was referred)
Austin list management queries will ensue if the players don’t drag themselves out of their own funks.

Collingwood's salary cap issues were widely reported at the time, and acknowledged by the club. They needed to shed significant salary off their books otherwise they would have been over the cap.

It was a little more than needing to change things up. And ultimately it cost their list manager his job.
Also, there's a bit more to it than shedding their list of high salary contracts. Collingwood aren't enjoying their current run because of that, rather, in spite of it. They've been incredibly fortunate over the past few years with father/sons - 6 of them. 2 didn't work out (Brown bros.), 1 is still TBD (Kelly), but the other 3 (Moore, 2 x Daicos) are in AA contention this year. Add to that a successful NGA pickup in Quaynor. It's made a huge difference - more than negated the effect of losing Grundy & co.

He’s the one making L/T contracts shoring up (an underperforming) list, isn’t he?
SOS poor drafting other than ’15 (mess that was referred)
Austin list management queries will ensue if the players don’t drag themselves out of their own funks.
Well, I still don't think we've recovered from SOS' efforts. I'm worried that we are still in this position where we need to move quite a few on, I'm not one that believes we have a great list that's worthy of top 4 status.

There aren't that many examples of a club captain being traded out... but do you have any examples of where a club captain was traded out and things got a whole lot worse?

In any case, I am not using the Ryan Griffin example as a justification for trading out Cripps. I would have cashed in on Cripps when his FA was up and we were on the bottom - would have netted another top 5-10 pick. He can't kick. His leadership is non-existent.

Steven King was traded by the Cats in 2007...

He wasn't the captain at the time but he was from 03-06.

Rockliff another who went from captaining the Lions to Port... Lions didn't miss him.

One can only admire and envy the Pie's list management & recruitment, last season's was a ripper their additions are all firing well, eeven the lesser lights Frampton & Markov. Lipinsksi is the only one not seen for a while, but another quality player.

Remember when they had their fire sale and everyone thought how they shafted Treloar especially.

Then their board was a mess.Got rid of Ed.

Plus they signed a first time coach to a massive club.All ballsy decisions and look at them now.

Risk v reward.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Markov trained with us in the pre season didn't he ?
Sure did. Also did a medical, so there was a fair chance we would have signed him if Collingwood hadn't snapped him up.

In an interview, he cited McRae as the main reason he signed with them - built up a good relationship with the Pies coach when they were both at the Tiggs.

Plus they signed a first time coach to a massive club. All ballsy decisions and look at them now.

Not so ballsy when you look at who they surrounded him with. Collingwood worked out that the having a good football department is critical. Carlton still has the messiah complex thinking one person can fix everything.

I'm pretty comfortable with the work of Austin & his team to date.
IMO the questionable moves were the Williams FA deal (made sense at the time) & giving LOB a 2 year extension (no idea what they were thinking).
Our drafting has seemingly improved, even with a weaker draft hand, so despite frustration around our current performances, I'm confident that the club will continue to churn the list to find the right balance.
The club has some pretty handy players in place to build around, I think that we'd be surprised at how much impact a 2 way midfield and viable hff/mids would have on our performances.

I think what is becoming very apparent is how poor Sos’ recruiting was. Both at the draft and trade table

Are we thinking the current performance is because the list isn't good enough?

We've got the current Brownlow medalist and 2 x Coleman medal winners plus multiple other AA squad players in the team.

Not really a bottom 4 list profile yet that's where we're heading.

Not to give the list management a free pass - bringing in injury prone players has hurt us. We also don't have many overly skilled or overly quick players.

We signed a back pocket to a long-term deal on mega money on the assumption that he would become an elite midfielder. All based on ONE GAME OF FOOTBALL. In what world did that ever make sense?
We signed a quality hbf to good coin with an eye to increasing his midfield minutes, it hasn't worked as we'd have liked but it certainly wasn't an insane move at the time.
I very much doubt we moved purely on the back of his finals performance...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Are we thinking the current performance is because the list isn't good enough?

We've got the current Brownlow medalist and 2 x Coleman medal winners plus multiple other AA squad players in the team.

Not really a bottom 4 list profile yet that's where we're heading.

Not to give the list management a free pass - bringing in injury prone players has hurt us. We also don't have many overly skilled or overly quick players.
Agree, however apart form a handful of exceptionally talented players , the remainder of the team is pretty ordinary, therein is our problems a glaring lack of speed , skill and separately a lack of a good game plan.

Trading Harry & Cripps doesn't make a whole heap of sense, particularly from a value standpoint.
Cripps as a 28yo contested mid with inconsistent output over the past 3 years, isn't netting us a huge return.
Harry when up & about is amongst the hardest forwards to defend in the comp. Right now is his lowest ebb, moving him on now is akin to trading Charlie after doing his knee.
Work with him, get him right & we'll have one of the best 1-2 punches in the comp again.

Also, from their Twitter feed alone, I wouldn't be placing a lot of stock in the Ian Prendercast..

The biggest thing we need to do is to make sure our role players have pace and can stick a tackle. Cottrell, McCreery types. They are ordinary footballers but you can actually play a decent game style around them.

Yes, lovely.

But why are these 'issues' left to mid season to address?

Why has every player, bar precious few, lost form when compared to last season.

Why are our stars, the ones any team relies upon to win the crunch moments, all playing like they've smoked a joint before the game?

All of them, bar Carlie sometimes.

Why are we the 4th lowest scoring team in the comp, yet we have two of the best forwards in the game?

Why are our inside 50s so often lame/poor/mindless?

Need I go on?

Who is taking any accountability for this mess?

Hint: Not Cripps or Voss!

And a mess it is.

I don't think that's for me to answer ;-). They should've been identified and resolved November last year!

I'd like answers to all of those as well.

I reckon Voss has lost the playing group. The game plan is useless- doesn’t support our forward structure at all and our mid group just blazes away in hope- if our big fellas stuff up the ball sling shots down the ground for an opposition score- if it’s a behind they work hard to keep it in if it passes beyond the centre we bomb it to our two talls- most times the ball is shot out of our half by aggressive and skillful backs under no pressure.
Unfortunately Voss has no idea- great player but that’s where the greatness ends. So sorry that we will endure another failed season … unless we replace the coach with someone who has a real plan for success. I have been an over 65 year member.

You don't get rid of the club captain I don't care who he is , it doesn't send a good message to the rest of the team. We are supposed to be building as a group , not disbanding altogether. Who else would have done a better job anyway over the past 5 years. Name 1 player ?
What? The rebuild that was started in 2015, and that will likely see the end of the third coach in that timeframe, is a bust. The group of players that has been put together isn't particularly good.

In theroy trading Cripps to wc as part of the getting pick one Harley Reid would be perfect because I think the best of Cripps is past him and we actually have Kennedy and Hewett that can play that role our list is desperate for burst speed and elite football skills and smarts
I just can't see Cripps wanting to go to wc as they have 4 or 5 yrs more yrs down the bottom
To me there is 4 players on our list untradeable
C Curnow and Walsh
And even know massively out of form
Weitering and McKay are both AA quality
We desperately need a high quality ruckman Pittonet is honesty pack up at best
so i wouldn't be against giving a guy like Goldstein a couple yr deal and wouldn't cost us much financially
The club also just can not keep carrying injury proned players we have been doing it for far two long

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back