List Mgmt. 2023 List Management

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Agreed, Mason Cox keeps on getting picked. Must give anyone over 210cm some hope.
Cox has had more than enough very good performances at this level (vs Richmond in 2018 prelim and vs West Coast in the 2018 QF and GF, vs Gawn in Queens Birthday game last year and generally last year he was played well) to show he belongs.

If Mirkov can be half as good as Cox I would be happy. Given how far back he is starting I’m happy to be patient with Mirkov and see how he goes in the reserves this year but I don’t see him playing league this year unless we have an injury crisis.

Cox has had more than enough very good performances at this level (vs Richmond in 2018 prelim and vs West Coast in the 2018 QF and GF, vs Gawn in Queens Birthday game last year and generally last year he was played well) to show he belongs.

If Mirkov can be half as good as Cox I would be happy. Given how far back he is starting I’m happy to be patient with Mirkov and see how he goes in the reserves this year but I don’t see him playing league this year unless we have an injury crisis.
3 good games doesn't convince me Cox deserves to be on any AFL list. I do think that Mirkov has the potential to be an AFL player given his obvious physical advantages.

3 good games doesn't convince me Cox deserves to be on any AFL list. I do think that Mirkov has the potential to be an AFL player given his obvious physical advantages.

Until Mirkov can clank some marks and or more involed away from a stoppage, he is less likely than Cox, although, Mirkov is a better tap ruckman

Although its just a praccy game and some our squad are out you can see we still desperately lack piercing kicks of the footy like Blakey, Gulden, Campbell etc. Just limits our ability to work through a zone slowly. I'd be all in for E Hollands and Himmelberg end of year. Would add two elite and damaging kicks across the ground whether they were playing behind the ball or ahead of it.

I'd assume the reason Voss requested to play the Swans and Pies is because they excel at the corridor kicking game. Something we struggle to defend and struggle to implement into our game.

Although its just a praccy game and some our squad are out you can see we still desperately lack piercing kicks of the footy like Blakey, Gulden, Campbell etc. Just limits our ability to work through a zone slowly. I'd be all in for E Hollands and Himmelberg end of year. Would add two elite and damaging kicks across the ground whether they were playing behind the ball or ahead of it.

I'd assume the reason Voss requested to play the Swans and Pies is because they excel at the corridor kicking game. Something we struggle to defend and struggle to implement into our game.
Not reading too much into this game given its a scratch match and McKay, Walsh and Cripps aren’t playing but given who Sydney have out you’d have to think Dow is done. He has been handed his arse by Gulden.

Dow has been done for years. He's just a mature body for the VFL now.
Sadly correct. The bloke is cashing in on an outlandishly inflated contract, courtesy of our thankfully departed CEO. Dow does not have the capacity to work hard enough mentally. He shows some spectacular glimpses at times, but just cannot maintain the rage.

I am sure he wants “it” but that want is not on the appropriate level. His 2023 salary alone will largely set him up for a very comfortable life. I am sure a country club will give him a package to earn a very good living as a star at a lesser level. Supporters are lauding his desire to fight for a spot, I can’t help but think it was more about the money. He would have been better served splitting his inflated salary over multiple years and concocting a trade if he is driven to create a long term career at the top level. He will tread water over the season and slip further down the pecking order.

He may choose a minimum chips contract somewhere next season in an attempt to prolong his career, but strikes me as a weekend warrior type, happy to runaround with his mates as opposed to being 100% focussed on the game. (His younger brother seems similar. After some glimpses and a few games being blooded at the Tigers, he is no longer mentioned in dispatches as a up and comer)

This is not a personal slight on the lad, we are all wired differently. He just doesn’t seem to have the drive or mental capacity to expend that extra 5 or 10% to make it at the top level. Surely he has received enough messenging to grasp what is needed to realise his rather high potential.

I would love to be wrong on this one, but there is too much evidence to the contrary.

Difficult to obtain the likes of Zac Bailey, Guilden types via trades, but guys like McInerney types should be targeted to improve our speed and footskills

The main focus for list management should be more speed, agility and better users by foot

Not reading too much into this game given its a scratch match and McKay, Walsh and Cripps aren’t playing but given who Sydney have out you’d have to think Dow is done. He has been handed his arse by Gulden.
Pretty sure Dow wasn't on Gulden the whole game, saw Kennedy minding him at one stage, and he was given a lesson also.

Sadly correct. The bloke is cashing in on an outlandishly inflated contract, courtesy of our thankfully departed CEO. Dow does not have the capacity to work hard enough mentally. He shows some spectacular glimpses at times, but just cannot maintain the rage.

I am sure he wants “it” but that want is not on the appropriate level. His 2023 salary alone will largely set him up for a very comfortable life. I am sure a country club will give him a package to earn a very good living as a star at a lesser level. Supporters are lauding his desire to fight for a spot, I can’t help but think it was more about the money. He would have been better served splitting his inflated salary over multiple years and concocting a trade if he is driven to create a long term career at the top level. He will tread water over the season and slip further down the pecking order.

He may choose a minimum chips contract somewhere next season in an attempt to prolong his career, but strikes me as a weekend warrior type, happy to runaround with his mates as opposed to being 100% focussed on the game. (His younger brother seems similar. After some glimpses and a few games being blooded at the Tigers, he is no longer mentioned in dispatches as a up and comer)

This is not a personal slight on the lad, we are all wired differently. He just doesn’t seem to have the drive or mental capacity to expend that extra 5 or 10% to make it at the top level. Surely he has received enough messenging to grasp what is needed to realise his rather high potential.

I would love to be wrong on this one, but there is too much evidence to the contrary.
It’s nearly impossible to know how hard players are working but to me Dow is just a ball hunter who isn’t good enough at the level. He to me just doesn’t seem smart enough to play a role where it isn’t see ball get ball. I think he will just go down as a poor draft pick because if he didn’t have his breakaway pace then he probably would’ve never played an AFL game, he is that limited of a player atm.

Of our outs last nights I’d only consider McGovern and Newman above average users. Perhaps Martin when he’s on. The rest will not improve our use by foot (which should not be excused due to the intensity of the match).

It’s definitely an area we need to target over the next few years.

I did think Carroll’s foot skills were great in the last quarter. Hopefully he can start the season well and push for best 22 selection early.

Have to also admit and concede at this stage... (changed some of my earlier optimism)
Although it is just pre-season... Its become obvious, we have some OOC players that struggle at the level or struggle to get on the park...

Yes, this is only pre season and this is a end of year projection...
Yes, all these guy's have the year to turn it around and become required players...
Austin's track record of later picks and bargain trades, gives me confidence these guys can be replaced with decent replacements...

OOC Players
Possibly Leaving

McGovern - Play with brother
TDK - $$$

Delisted (Injury prone over multiple seasons)
Marchbank
Philp
Cuningham
Fogarty
Honey
Plowman - Visually, only makes 3-5 mistakes a game (missed tackles, fumbles, free kicks, turnover), but they turn into goals more than any other player...
E.Curnow - Ok up forward... However, struggles to keep up to the pace in the midfield...
Dow - My man Dow :cryv1: likely a bust at this stage...

80% Re-Sign
Pittonet, S.Durdin, Cincotta, O'Keeffe, Kemp & Akuei

100% Re-Sign
Motlop, Young, Docherty, Newman & Silvagni

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Have to also admit and concede at this stage... (changed some of my earlier optimism)
Although it is just pre-season... Its become obvious, we have some OOC players that struggle at the level or struggle to get on the park...

Yes, this is only pre season and this is a end of year projection...
Yes, all these guy's have the year to turn it around and become required players...
Austin's track record of later picks and bargain trades, gives me confidence these guys can be replaced with decent replacements...

OOC Players
Possibly Leaving

McGovern - Play with brother
TDK - $$$

Delisted (Injury prone over multiple seasons)
Marchbank
Philp
Cuningham
Fogarty
Plowman - Visually, only makes 3-5 mistakes a game (missed tackles, fumbles, free kicks, turnover), but they turn into goals more than any other player...
E.Curnow - Ok up forward... However, struggles to keep up to the pace in the midfield...
Dow - My man Dow :cryv1: likely a bust at this stage...

80% Re-Sign
Pittonet, S.Durdin, Cincotta, O'Keeffe, Kemp & Akuei

100% Re-Sign
Motlop, Young, Docherty, Newman & Silvagni

I think Honey is out of contract at the end of this year too so you’d have to think unless there is a pretty significant improvement he won’t get another contract.

Like we went after Acres to address our deficiency on the wings I think we might need to target a proven half forward who can hit the scoreboard as it’s our biggest weakness IMO.

I think Motlop and Durdin have two of the small forward spots but Fisher is too inconsistent for someone approaching 100 games, Martin is too injury prone and Owies is depth at best.

I agree with everything else you’ve suggested.

Have to remember while all those players have fair knocks against them in terms of ability and durability - We won't be moving on 10-15 players in an off season. At most I'd imagine we'll be looking to move on 6-8 players depending on how many mature age recruits we could bring in the door. My guess is 3 of the injury prone players and 3 of our poorer quality players.

An off season in which we moved on 8+ players would be quite drastic.

I have faith he will come good, but if Young continues to stink it up we need to consider Ben McKay.

In practice match today, North vs Bulldogs, Jones at full-back for Bullies is playing extremely well. 9 touches, 5marks in 1st quarter. Did we make a mistake not trying to re-list him? Would have been great backup for Weits.
O he has 1, max 2 seasons left.. we are far better developing Young or looking for a key defender who will be with us for the next 5+ years as we enter the premiership window.

In practice match today, North vs Bulldogs, Jones at full-back for Bullies is playing extremely well. 9 touches, 5marks in 1st quarter. Did we make a mistake not trying to re-list him? Would have been great backup for Weits.
No we have moved past him, he made his choice.
If we consider it a major weaknesses sure we can target longer term prospects, still believe if we considered it a major issue we would have drafted Busslinger whilst he takes 1-2 years to develop.

Not at all.

He made his choice to 'retire'.

We have moved on.

Young isn't confident in himself.
Jones too confident in himself.

It shows in the way they play.

Don't see why Young can't get to the level of Jones but he needs a strong and settled group around him, which we have not had.

Big year for Young when considering the free agents available. He won't delisted but we'd be silly to not look at other options.

Everyone agrees, we need to delist 6 to 8 players. How does Austin weave the magic when he basically has 1 first round pick?

Not about "need" to delist MJ, reality is all sides make around 8-9 changes to their list each year

As for weave, with the likelihood of the Camporeale boys in 2024, our first rounder in that year will be traded, either for a player or extra picks in this and next year's draft

FA, also allows us to target Hewett levels of talent

But, way too early to be making definite calls right now

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back