List Mgmt. 2023 List Management

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quickly scrolled thru last 3 pages, not surprised most discussion about Silvagni, Fish, Owies, Martin group. Worst in the AFL.

Find a trade target or use our 1st pick 2023, and bring fwd 2024 and draft 2 x-factor, medium fwds.

Quickly scrolled thru last 3 pages, not surprised most discussion about Silvagni, Fish, Owies, Martin group. Worst in the AFL.

Find a trade target or use our 1st pick 2023, and bring fwd 2024 and draft 2 x-factor, medium fwds.
so we're talking nd in round 2 again?

Pace and kicking skills. We're better in the contest and with our key talls.

Pace and kicking skills. We're better in the contest and with our key talls. They slaughter us on the flanks and out in space.
Also don't have a single player who blatantly just goes missing for 3/4 of a game consistently. We have about 6.

It pains me to say it, and I know he‘s not a fwd, but add Ed to that group.

Time for me to abandon hope of Martin ever getting hungry and wanting to contribute, and to give my whipping boy Davey Cuningham another chance because Jack Martin is just leeching money from the club and giving us nothing.

Why can’t we having collingwoods mentality. What are we missing?

We don't know how to win

Not a single leader at the club who was in a leadership position or a vital player in a successful team. Ed is the closest that we have now and even he was a secondary or even tertiary player when we made made finals earlier on in his career.

Collingwood has a Norm Smith Medalist. They have Steele Sidebottom. There's a half dozen or so other players who have stood up in finals. Even Cox had his biggest game ever in a prelim.

When the going gets tough they have leaders who can martial the troops. They have leaders who can help run set plays that they know work in pressure situations. Some of those plays you rarely see them run to the point that when they execute them the opposition hasn't got time to make the adjustment. They communicate.

Cripps didn't have any of this to learn from. What ends up happening is that often when we're under the pump - even if Cripps is at his best - he can often revert to biting off more than he can chew. We lose all communication. We lose discipline and do some things. Our players start playing like individuals and lose sight of the smart team things that work against the team concept. We become overly repetitive in many of our strategies (e.g. look at how we kicked out after oppo behinds on Thursday night.)

I'm not sure how to rectify that situation.

And unfortunately, having Vossy as coach while good is only a small part of the answer. There's only so much that the coach can do sitting on the sidelines. The rest is up to the on field leadership and communication of the playing group.

Last edited:
Don't think theres any need for B Mckay. Young will continue to improve with more and more synergy with Weiters. He's more than capable and better than most oppositions 2nd KPD.
Where we fall apart down back is offensive rebound and transition ball movement. Cowan will help with that in time but having another option down back who can generate real drive and free Doc and Saad up is the only 'need' I'd say we have down back.

Our HFF, Wings and FP options are all still mid tier - below average and have been an issue for quite some time now. Name another contender who doesn't have quality across any of those lines. I think they are close to the most important players in footy atm for any team trying to win a flag.

Bris - Bailey, McCarthey, Mccluggage, Ashcroft, Cameron
Geelong - Stengle, Close, Smith, Holmes, Duncan, Henry
Pies - Sidebottom, Daicos, Ginnivan, Elliot, Degoey, Daicos
Melbourne - Pickett, Langdon, Spargo, ANB, Hunter, Fritsch
Sydney - Papley, Gulden, Hayward, Heeney, McCinerny, Florent

Every single player on that list would walk straight into our team and improve it tenfold. Those are the lines we need to improve. KPPs, Inside Mids, HBFs we're more than above the standard.

Acres and Hollands could end up being solutions for us once they adjust to our system and Hollands maturing physically but replace JSOS, Owies, Fisher and Martin with some composed players who can actually rotate up the ground when things aren't going their way up fwd and we'd be contenders. Weakest HFF group of any team competing for finals.
100% this we have the worst hf/fp group in the comp and we seriously need to be less predictable going forward teams know exactly what we are going to do

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Pace and kicking skills. We're better in the contest and with our key talls.

Pace and kicking skills. We're better in the contest and with our key talls. They slaughter us on the flanks and out in space.
It's called modern footy. We play a neanderthal- glacier style, and for some reason we're not prepared to navigate another course.

We don't know how to win

We lose all communication. We lose discipline and do some things. Our players start playing like individuals and lose sight of the smart team things that work against the team concept. We become overly repetitive in many of our strategies (e.g. look at how we kicked out after oppo behinds on Thursday night.)

I'm not sure how to rectify that situation.

And unfortunately, having Vossy as coach while good is only a small part of the answer. There's only so much that the coach can do sitting on the sidelines. The rest is up to the on field leadership and communication of the playing group.
I thought a big part of the coach's job description was to provide a competitive game plan, mentally stimulate and motivate the players on game day.
We can't blame the entire playing group, at this stage of our rebuild for slow and poor ball movement.
Last year we had a new coach and tragic midfield injuries, this year all responsibility rests on Voss' shoulders.

It's only round 1, we have a good playing list, lets see if things improve.

This! The contest is very important but it shouldn’t be the sole focus, ball movement needs to be a priority
Correct...

Would be interesting to find out how many of Richmond's 66 inside 50s
were from our ball movement out of defence (constant bombing to the same spot)...

Genuine question to the B Mckay fans - Is it that you want Mckay to come in as a 3rd KPD or that you don't have faith in Young? Or a bit of something else?

Personally, I think we just need some more interceptors down back to relieve the pressure on Weitering and Youngy. You add a Tom Stewart or Docherty pre ACL's and I think we'd have close to the best defence in the league. We just never get much easy ball down there. Thats why Gov is such an important cog despite his continual injury problems.
l believe we have needs in other areas Ben Mckay is another injury prone player.
We need a classy mid sized forward and more speed from the midfield, only one game but we looked very one paced particularly after last night's game

It's called modern footy. We play a neanderthal- glacier style, and for some reason we're not prepared to navigate another course.
Other sides will look better playing with a faster style early in the year.

The first few rounds are always played at the quickest tempo. As players tire, get sore, poorer weather kicks in etc. our style will stand up more.

We also can't really opt for a faster method without our faster players. If we had Cunners, Boyd, Durdin, Walsh and Cottrell available (also Williams and Philp, but they are longer term) I'd like to think we'd try and play quicker.

We can crucify our small forward brigade ad nauseam, but until our team lower their eyes when making forward entries the smalls will never have the requisite amount of opportunities to show that they can be better. The team consistently stuck it on Charlie and Harry's heads all night to the point where our forwards stopped making runs ahead of the ball because they knew they would be burnt by their teammates.

A better connection between forward/mid will make our current whipping boys look much better.

Guys like JSOS, Martin and Honey have 2023 to show they are a real option as a 3rd or 4th tall.

Their output on Thursday night was totally unacceptable - ditto Owies and Motlop. Anyone know where you can source Q by Q stats?

JSOS crucified being asked to play 2nd ruck....just a dumb idea.

View attachment 1632489
Martin, at best should be the sub. Outside of that, he is done. Shown very little across his time with us.

The disappointment is that trade week was Voss opportunity to get creative and find players to fit the plan.

Blake Acres, and done. Was poor.

Its hilarious now to sit back, and say we are missing x y z on the list. What were they thinking post that collingwood game. List clearly needed work, and same old injury prone or mentally weakplayers needed to be culled or moved on.

Ie Fisher again, ineffectual. He is the half fwd flanker we need to step up. Should have been shipped to West Coast.

I'm more keen to see these guys replaced by our draftees who already seem to have the desire, will and want.

Voss should make a statement and drop the mentally weak. The group needs to realise the time is now. Our window for finals and a challenge is right now

Sent from my SM-N981B using Tapatalk

We can crucify our small forward brigade ad nauseam, but until our team lower their eyes when making forward entries the smalls will never have the requisite amount of opportunities to show that they can be better. The team consistently stuck it on Charlie and Harry's heads all night to the point where our forwards stopped making runs ahead of the ball because they knew they would be burnt by their teammates.

A better connection between forward/mid will make our current whipping boys look much better.
100% this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back