Autopsy 2023 Rd 10 Blues lose game in first quarter

Remove this Banner Ad

I was at the game. Personally I think it’s wrong to think we lost the game in the first quarter. Collingwood have gears we don’t have unfortunately. To say we lost it in the first quarter is to misread our perceived competitiveness in the next three quarters. Collingwood we’re in 2nd or 3rd gear from quarter time onwards and we turned it into a scrap. But we don’t have the ability to match the higher gears of the best teams.
Is this a coaching issue or a personnel issue? I think probably a bit if both. It feels like our structures are confusing the team. Even our best players who we know are capable of much are looking mediocre. On the other hand, clearly we don’t have the burst and skill of the top teams. We don’t have a premiership list. So we are probably not in the “contender” stage that many thought we were. Indeed it seems like the club thought we were. We are back at the blackjack table and have to trade carefully to improve our hand.
What annoys me is Collingwood we’re a better team than us last year, yet they still identified some gaps in the list and traded to fill it. We apparently only identified a wing as a weakness. If we are constrained by salary cap, then we need to be a a brave as Collingwood was in offloading Grundy. Harry McKay is probably paid 50% more than Mikocek. And I know McKay is perceived as a superstar, and Mihocek as a honest and dependable performer. I know which id prefer.
Some hard decisions will need to be made at the end of the year

That we only lost by less than five kicks is misleading. It is the way we continue to play - a way that has typified Carlton over several coaches for a decade+ - that is the issue. Green shoots, honourable losses, we're improving.....these are continual rhetoric in the face of the opposite happening. We looked "finals ready" over the first eight games of season 2022, before we got rubbery before imploding in the last 4 games to miss out on finals by virtually only one straight kick! Coach, players, culture....what is cultivating the ongoing problem stopping Carlton from meaningfully moving forward?

Why is everyone flexing about not watching the game and going to do their hair or ride their bike or wash their car then posting about what they did instead … I had something on and didn’t watch the game but spewing I didn’t .. win lose or draw love watching the baggers go about it .
Go about what, exactly the same ole?

Why is everyone flexing about not watching the game and going to do their hair or ride their bike or wash their car then posting about what they did instead … I had something on and didn’t watch the game but spewing I didn’t .. win lose or draw love watching the baggers go about it .

Strange flex.....

Complain about people flexing not watching it and then admitting they didn't watch it

On CPH2005 using BigFooty.com mobile app

They have no creativity left because they never do anything unpredictable. It did happen ONCE - almost by accident I think. Ended up with Owies shot on goal. It was so out of the ordinary it was striking.
I was more referring to Sidebums comments after the game stating he was laughing on the ground every time we kicked it directly to Moore.
Tongue in cheek, I can’t blame Voss for the stupidity of our players.

You gotta be kidding

You can't love watching this s**t.

Football is all about scoring goals not chipping it around. This type of play doesn't deserve support.

Sent from my SM-S901E using Tapatalk

(Log in to remove this ad.)

An issue in today's thread is Steele Sidebottam laughing at us continually kicking the ball to Darcy Moore. In a sense it is symbolic of at least one of the underlying issues (deficiencies) which "continue" to afflict Carlton.

That we only lost by less than five kicks is misleading. It is the way we continue to play - a way that has typified Carlton over several coaches for a decade+ - that is the issue. Green shoots, honourable losses, we're improving.....these are continual rhetoric in the face of the opposite happening. We looked "finals ready" over the first eight games of season 2022, before we got rubbery before imploding in the last 4 games to miss out on finals by virtually only one straight kick! Coach, players, culture....what is cultivating the ongoing problem stopping Carlton from meaningfully moving forward?
1684660492231.png

Nothing we “suggest” or bitch about makes any difference.

Clearly the team is well down on confidence.

What are your ideas on how we can get confidence back?

Winning helps with confidence. Players are confident enough that they can't handle the heat so they need to break that belief before we go anywhere.

All the other clubs that were in the doldrums had to break their habits of losing before they went anywhere. Hitting targets consistently, kicking goals when it counts etc etc. A million different ways to build confidence that the side isn't doing at the moment. Hell we are a good case study on how to break yourself down mentally with all the little ways we make it needlessly hard for ourselves out there. A huge one for confidence would obviously be learning from your mistakes and overcoming what beat you before but looking at Moore's stats we got a lot of work to do there....

If the players aren't capable of that then you move them on. Hard for any confidence to build up when we work so hard as a team for no reward because we mess up all the easy parts of the game and then Mcgov shirks a contest and the Pies get an easy goal for free.

Go back to the gameplan of first ten rounds last year.
Maybe we are trying to play that style.... maybe we have had our strengths taken away from us.... maybe the game has progressed more in the past 12 months.... maybe we just don’t have the cattle to play the way we need to now !!

I don't care about Sidebottom or his comments.
Glad H got some goals.

We have a week to sort out our rubbish.

Sacking Voss is not the answer. He needs better quality under and around him.

If two of our leadership group need a rest, then rest them. For whatever reasons they are not performing, it's not a good standard. The other leader is coming back from major back surgery.

We need leaders to lead and it's not happening in the field.

TDK - yes he’d offer something different
Dow - who for?

Dow in for E. Curnow. Kennedy spends more time forward because he’s a strong mark and a decent set shot.

We aren’t winning a premiership this year so why not play someone with more upside who quite honestly has been our best performer and most consistent VFL player for over a year now.

1000% this post.

And that is completely on Voss and his selection committee.

Put aside the gameplan, tactics everything else. Thats squarely on a select few who decided in October 2022 Dow wouldnt get a chance no matter what he did.

We are not in a position to waste list spots, or not reward form. Play him for a stretch in his best position.

We cant get worse. Kemp as well.

While we are at it, Kennedy is a mid fwd. This half back usage of him past weeks is folly.

Ed Curnow should not be playing, we should be moving past him

Sent from my SM-N981B using Tapatalk
All seems so obvious to us laymen doesn’t it. Yet the coaching staff are oblivious, confounding!

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy 2023 Rd 10 Blues lose game in first quarter

Remove this Banner Ad

Back