Autopsy 2023 Rd 23 Blues win by 4 in heartstopper. We're playing finals baby!

Who played well for the Blues in Round 23 vs the Suns?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

This Charlie horsey ffs šŸ˜œ

Drumming Charlie Watts GIF by The Rolling Stones
Mossst humble apologies Ms Aph.
I stand on 4x chastened legs.
This.
(Although...Gene Krupa, I mean... Charlie-like talent.)

Last edited:
I would be shocked and disappointed if Hollands was dropped for any reason other than ijuury.

He just brings too much of what Voss demands in this game plan - can run all day and is constantly applying pressure.

You can't easily replace what he gives you.

He's also earmarked as a genuine future star of this club. Getting him finals experience early will be important for his future improvement.

Competitive wingers who don't shy away from the hard stuff are worth their weight in gold.

Including the Barassi years the seasons we won 9 games or more on the trot.

2023- 9 wins on the trot
2000- 13
1995- 16
1982- 9
1976- 9 (5 losses on the trot immediately before that winning streak)
1975- 10
1969- 10
1968- 10

Finished top of ladder in ā€˜76 & ā€˜95
Won flag in ā€˜68, ā€˜82 & ā€˜95.

Last edited:
Yes. Itā€™s a bit of a worry that not many seem to have noticed. Last week Petracca had a shot at goal in the last minute or so that went through for a behind, exactly the same this week with Noah Anderson. Itā€™s eerily similar to last year, except the cards fell our way.

From a positive standpoint weā€™re applying more pressure. From another standpoint our tactics when ahead by less than a goal in the dying minutes of a game provides the opposition chances to take the game.

Got to be happy though, there is still plenty of upside in this team.
You need some luck for success. But it also is partly a case of making your own luck. Comparing the shots, Petracca's and Anderson's were much more difficult/low percentage to Pickett's and Elliott's. Doing all the little things right like prioritising your defence on the most dangerous parts of the ground - which is a fundamental principle that even juniors learn - can lead to things falling your way in make or break moments.

On SM-A136B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Iā€™m not sure ranking players is that straightforward.

Each player has a unique set of skills and how they execute their skills.

Charlie is a goal scoring machine and a delight to watch.

Fev was also a goal scoring machine and Avery smart player.

Kouta probably the most mercurial of the three.

Then you have Judd.

Iā€™m not sure how anyone can split players of this calibre.

Imagine if they were in the same side??

Another thing about having Harry back.

In a tight finish he can be the potential bailout kick leaving Charlie able to drop back to be the spare in defence. Couldn't do that against Melbourne.
That saving mark, and then the way he dropped down with joy and relief post siren...
Indelibly fixed in memory.

Dow and Kemp are interesting case studies.

Both have improved and do a lot of good things, but both are good for a few glaring errors a game that cost goals.

Dow - Done some really nice things and overall has been a good fill in, but in each of his 3 games it seems the pace is too much for him in the first quarter and he's been caught HTB and turned the ball over by foot when under pressure. But then he's settled, the game slows down and he gets better as the game goes on.

Kemp - Has been strong with his intercept marking and his disposal has generally been pretty solid. But in pretty much every game he loses a few aerial contests where you just think he should have done better and been able to spoil the ball. Quite often he doesn't put any body contact on the forward...I think he purposely stands off them to try to defend by leaping at the ball himself but when it doesn't work it looks bad.
Highly disagree. He does settle, and he does get better as the game goes on, but imo he gets better as the intensity rises. Has nothing to do with the game slowing down, or his ability to play at a high pace.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Finals, Finals Finals !!!! * Yeah!!!!!!

40 point down, away from home, Cripps subdued,to a team that pantsed Brisbane a couple of weeks ago. This team is just ******* massive. I dont care it was only 4 points, we can just win from any situation.

I a on cloud *in nine, Sinjin Jnr is running round like he's been hitting lines.

I love this club, I love this game and I love you all. So emotional.

C'MON YOU ******* BLUE BOYS!!!!!
Sinjin Jnr playing tennis ? ;)

A GREAT DAY FOR US ALL , was bloody tough at the end for me. Was at my boy's local game and watched last 3 minutes on a mates phone.
Thought for sure Anderson kicked that goal and it was another nail biter coming up next week ....PHEW!

LOVE THIS CLUB :heart:

Amazing effort to get over the line . Seemed we played a very boom or bust game style, not sure if they forced us into it. But every turnover in the first half resulted in an out the back counter goal.. very frustrating.. It shows how our game plan if not executed at full intensity is easy to expose , but when we switch on is suffocating and unbeatable. Hopefully the boys can fully see that in the review and realise for the next month(hopefully) 90% ain't gonna cut it , but 100% could just win us the flag.. šŸ“šŸ‡¦šŸ‡ŗšŸ³ļø

I don't care who he's better or not better than, just thankful to have Charlie and be witnessing what he does.

There was a time, long ago, I will admit, that I thought there was a real risk he'd just be one of those athletic flukey types, constantly an "almost" kind of player, and I thought Harry would be the best of the two.

That has turned out to be very much wrong (thankfully!).

Gethelred , remember my post after our Round 13 loss that you responded to? I was saying finals was impossible and may as well start losing. You kept the faith.

In conclusion, I am a flaming campaigner.

I don't care who he's better or not better than, just thankful to have Charlie and be witnessing what he does.

There was a time, long ago, I will admit, that I thought there was a real risk he'd just be one of those athletic flukey types, constantly an "almost" kind of player, and I thought Harry would be the best of the two.

That has turned out to be very much wrong (thankfully!).

I still think Harry will become a bona fide star too. Not that he isn't already, but.....

He won the Coleman in a weak side, he should be right up there with Charlie in goals scored....

We just need to work out how to maximise the pair's output when they play together....

Up and about bretheren.
Last Q replay, and a good home made coffee from the excellent magnifica s.

Newy to Charlie to Hazza.
Goal.

That is all.

Last edited:
Gethelred... I was saying finals was impossible and may as well start losing. You kept the faith.
In conclusion, I am a lovable, flaming campaigner.
EFA.

I still think Harry will become a bona fide star too. Not that he isn't already, but.....

He won the Coleman in a weak side, he should be right up there with Charlie in goals scored....

We just need to work out how to maximise the pair's output when they play together....
Oh yeah, my post wasn't meant to slight Harry at all. I love what he provides when he's up and about and I do believe he has another gear yet.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy 2023 Rd 23 Blues win by 4 in heartstopper. We're playing finals baby!

Back