Autopsy 2023 Round 23 Wounded Blues Soar Back Into The 8

Who played well for the Blues in Round 23 vs the Eagles? *BLUES SUPPORTERS ONLY*

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

We can't think of the what if but we're in the 8 and anything can happen. Now for Geelong to lose that would be a start. blues winning made my average weekend and I nearly didn't get to watch the match due to a flat tyre but my friend coming to my rescue to change the tyre.

Great win. So, so good! Let's hope it woke the boys up a little bit with our delivery and entries inside 50. Every ball doesn't have to sit on Charlie or Harry's head! Lower the eyes and pick the best option and it will end up freeing the big boys up anyway.

Cripps outstanding, true captain's game.
Pittonet answered the bell. Much needed big one from him.
Cowan and the Hollands brothers were fantastic. (WHERE IS MOO'S RISING STAR NOMINATION!?)
Backline was the best it has looked in a while. Nothing gets past Weiters. Young did his job.
Kemp looks like he should be playing as a 3rd tall forward permanently.
Lord, Binns and Moir all showed some signs. Hopefully the taste will get them going in a big pre-season.

Onto the Saints.
Win and we're in.

Can someone help me understand. IMO Young has the potential to be that second tall KPD we need. And today he gave a glimpse of that again. Did the coaches tell him to play within himself? As someone else suggested, was Newman his guiding mentor today? What's needed for him to really make it? Self-belief? Self-control? What is it...?

He's too humble to mention it
amazing the debates we get here about some of these types of moves

some were saying how badly kemp performed as forward and today we see the exact opposite

so many saying some of the vfl players weren't ready

today they made a real difference - i never took any notice of Moir up until today...man he could be a star

amazing what can happen when you give a kid an opportunity

So much to like about todays game, even with the caveat of the Eagles being attrocious.

Thing is, we brought the heat to make them terrible, basically once we got on top during the 2nd quarter they'd packed up and gone home. I think they were hoping we'd be playing as badly as we have been recently, and when that clearly wasn't the case they pretty much checked out.

Forward pressure at a level not seen since at least maybe the Richmond and Cats games before our terrible run. It showed a few things:

a) we should of been looking to shake things up a bit more instead of being so rigid and adhering to players playing in the same position endlessly, even if not working

b) Drop players if out of form or not fully right. Fit and hungry players can make a difference, instead of rushing to get your idealised 23 playing regardless of fitness or form. Also the idealised 23 is fluid, it chops and changes all the time. Midway through 2023 Fog was gone, then he became indespensible for his forward pressure. Cincotta went from not being in the side to being a lock tagger, to then still trying it after it hadn't been working for a month. Today we play him in defence because we had to, and it works.

c) In saying we had been too rigid in not making changes. The change we did actually make 6-7 weeks ago dropping Hewett was the most stupid one. He was a beast today as well.

d) There is nothing wrong with the way we play generally, a lot of it had become mindset and constantly going to the well with players who were clearly labouring physically as opposed to giving any younger guys a go at all. Do we even win todays game if we didn't cop all the injuries last week which resulted in a mindset change for today? I am not sure, we'd probably still have been playing terrified football like we were v Pies and Hawks (1st half, 2nd half was a write off with the injuries).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Great win. System looked like our winning run last year quick, spread, move, push back to help the defenders. Kids all did well. Cow stepped up in Saads absence. Forward line worked Kempy playing against McGovern as the 1 out kicked 4 and brought the pressure. Not enough love on here for Moir’s first goal. The grab he took before his first shot on goal was tough between 2 as well he’s the long term Jack Martin replacement. Lord looks the goods. Binnsy big 2nd half Good day from all the kids. Even Jacky Carrol grew in confidence in the 2nd half. Crippa just doin Crippa things. Vossy well done.

Moir has Hollywood written all over him. That goal was Fev-like.

Awesome to get the win! I love it.
Dare I say... the first two contested marks were pretty-Fev like too!

Can someone help me understand. IMO Young has the potential to be that second tall KPD we need. And today he gave a glimpse of that again. Did the coaches tell him to play within himself? As someone else suggested, was Newman his guiding mentor today? What's needed for him to really make it? Self-belief? Self-control? What is it...?
Self belief with his disposal - he panics as soon as he has the ball - noted players coming around him for the give.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy 2023 Round 23 Wounded Blues Soar Back Into The 8

Back