VFL 2023 Swans Reserves

Remove this Banner Ad

Pretty disappointing showing, albeit against arguably the best in the comp. Too many just didn't carry over their form from last week, except Rankin, & Warner, who was our best IMO. His run is just so damaging and our ball movement tends to look best when he is involved.

I thought Stephens & Clarke as our two most experienced players and our "reserves stars" were really disappointing. Just no damage inflicted from either of them.

Hall-Kahan, McAndrew and Arnold had some quality moments, and Endemann was impressive. But overall just not enough contributors and as per, let down by skill errors.

Really sucks about Rankin, particularly as it had come off the back of his best month or so since being drafted, and he'd looked better with each game. Hopefully not too serious an injury.

Pretty disappointing showing, albeit against arguably the best in the comp. Too many just didn't carry over their form from last week, except Rankin, & Warner, who was our best IMO. His run is just so damaging and our ball movement tends to look best when he is involved.

I thought Stephens & Clarke as our two most experienced players and our "reserves stars" were really disappointing. Just no damage inflicted from either of them.

Hall-Kahan, McAndrew and Arnold had some quality moments, and Endemann was impressive. But overall just not enough contributors and as per, let down by skill errors.

Really sucks about Rankin, particularly as it had come off the back of his best month or so since being drafted, and he'd looked better with each game. Hopefully not too serious an injury.
Was a decent run and spot up by Stephens a few mins ago, in his 5th qtr, but undone by teammates.

Missed first half and saw bulk of that quarter.

Konstanty did a couple of nice things BUT is still to kick his first goal in VFL FOOTY.

Team obviously struggling against better quality Oppo.

McAndrew palmed the ball to Clarke three times who coughed it. Big Mac getting better and took a mark on the latest line to save a goal.

Stevo busy but ineffective. Mitchell and Magor invisible. HHK and Corey did some nice things. Arnold less impressive but ok.
Konstanty has kicked 3 goals.
One against Port Melbourne and two against Carlton

Warner, Stephens, McAndrew the only potential inclusions for seniors.
I'd have included rankin if he didn't get injured. I'd play Warner before Stephens for the rest of the season

Trying to find positives out of that isn’t easy.

A VFL team loaded with AFL listed players shouldn’t get beaten by 111 points.
We literally have zero depth. Could delist 3/4 of that team and start again.

Kids fought on well but overwhelmed. Cleary did a couple of nice things. Big Mac did some nice things. Stevo and Clarke were plain, with the former at least backing up after a quarter last night. HHK at least tackled and applied some defensive pressure. Warner was just ok.

Magor tried to create but really lacks strength. Mitchell was plain. Edwards was quiet and Arnold showed bits but down on last week.

Fair to say none demanded promotion but I only saw the second half.

We literally have zero depth. Could delist 3/4 of that team and start again.
Not sure about 3/4, but I’m genuinely concerned that the kids aren’t developing.

Having a forward target (Buller) last week helped.

I’m almost of a view that putting Buddy in the VFL for a few weeks might be worthwhile, to help develop the young players.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not sure about 3/4, but I’m genuinely concerned that the kids aren’t developing.

I’m almost of a view that putting Buddy in the VFL for a few weeks might be worthwhile, to help develop the young players.
I'd you could get him there he'd absolutely make a difference. Having said that, our midfield is shite and having a target up forward probably only gives us an extra 2-3 goals. The vast majority of that match was played in the Lions front half so having a forward target would make little difference if we can't get the ball forward.

If Buddy can't run out a seniors game, some limited minutes in the 2s might help.

Have seen small signs from recent draftees but they are all undersized.

After being so up after last week, morale would have taken a big thump today.

In a last chance saloon moment I wonder whether giving Gould some brief runs in the mids, certainly a few CBAs. Would give Big Mac a big target to aim his palms to at least.

Feels like we have drafted a lot of talent that just simply don’t play well.

Rankin is clearly capable of playing afl. It’s just that he won’t improve the team. Stephen’s can play afl but he’s now shot I think confidence wise. I don’t think he will make it at the swans - he has no idea what the coaches want from him or if he does it’s completely foreign to him. Hhk I think could come in for Hayward but I don’t think he’s going to improve the team.

It’s really hard to know what to think atm because there seems across the board to have been a drop off in output. Having a Sinclair playing reserves seems beneficial because at least you’ve got someone who is capable of doing more than nothing

If amartey is going it’s got to be because we’ve pre committed any pay increase somewhere else because he’s really the only tall on the list I think likely to improve the team from last season and across the board the mid sized players are worse than last year.

Finally we have too many runts on our team - we are often trying to hit gulden or Campbell in the ones and it’s not like the twos are full of quality mid to taller players

I’d really love the academy to start producing 192+ players but it just doesn’t seem to happen and we aren’t much chop drafting them either. And development just seems horrendous dous based on how the ressies keep perorming

The 17yo academy player Max Rider who got injured looked interesting. He had kicked 2 goals in each of the previous 2 Allies games. He took a nice floating mark, injured his leg but was still able to kick the set shot before hobbling off. We mainly hear about Cabor, Cleary and May as academy prospects. But I wonder if Rider would be an option as a Cat B as a quick medium forward with an accurate kick.

Enderman has been one of our better VFL players this season. Always looks strong at the ground ball contests and is clean with his hands.

Our defence suffered when Gould was moved around. But I like seeing him tried in different positions. He has got a good attacking kick, can take an intercept mark and has an aggressive presence when the ball hits the ground.

The 17yo academy player Max Rider who got injured looked interesting. He had kicked 2 goals in each of the previous 2 Allies games. He took a nice floating mark, injured his leg but was still able to kick the set shot before hobbling off. We mainly hear about Cabor, Cleary and May as academy prospects. But I wonder if Rider would be an option as a Cat B as a quick medium forward with an accurate kick.

Enderman has been one of our better VFL players this season. Always looks strong at the ground ball contests and is clean with his hands.

Our defence suffered when Gould was moved around. But I like seeing him tried in different positions. He has got a good attacking kick, can take an intercept mark and has an aggressive presence when the ball hits the ground.
Ryder seems to have a lot of potential, very good in one on one contests and a very good kick at goal.Also will hopefully grow a bit and end up being in the high 180s cms as well as having a decent bmi.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Yep, I don't think Gould will make it as a defender, but is a good footy player. Is there a spot further up the ground for him?

Feels like we have drafted a lot of talent that just simply don’t play well.

Rankin is clearly capable of playing afl. It’s just that he won’t improve the team. Stephen’s can play afl but he’s now shot I think confidence wise. I don’t think he will make it at the swans - he has no idea what the coaches want from him or if he does it’s completely foreign to him. Hhk I think could come in for Hayward but I don’t think he’s going to improve the team.

It’s really hard to know what to think atm because there seems across the board to have been a drop off in output. Having a Sinclair playing reserves seems beneficial because at least you’ve got someone who is capable of doing more than nothing

If amartey is going it’s got to be because we’ve pre committed any pay increase somewhere else because he’s really the only tall on the list I think likely to improve the team from last season and across the board the mid sized players are worse than last year.

Finally we have too many runts on our team - we are often trying to hit gulden or Campbell in the ones and it’s not like the twos are full of quality mid to taller players

I’d really love the academy to start producing 192+ players but it just doesn’t seem to happen and we aren’t much chop drafting them either. And development just seems horrendous dous based on how the ressies keep perorming
I think our injury toll is seriously impacting at both levels. Buddy, Reid, McDonald, Ladhams, McCartin, McCartin. thats 6 talls all out at the moment (and its been worse!)
This impacts on team structure and I reckon this lack of structure is having a greater impact than we realise. Even if T McCartin and Logan were playing, that would allow McLean and Melican to play in the vfl.. Theres a big improvement in age, experience, quality and structure (runt to big body ratio) right there.

I reckon the Cost of Living in Sydney impacts the best 20-35 on our list the most. Highly paid players can afford Sydney and The lowest paid players (draftees etc) get some support from the afl
If the average wage is $380k, then the median wage is somewhere around $200-$250. That money goes further in other parts of Australia. Also, maybe because we have to pay overs to keep or attract players, we therefore simply cant afford the same amount of these depth players.

Rugby League recruits the bigger bodied footy players. Last year it paid a 15yo 190cm+ strong, athletic kid from our Academy to play NRL. Not the first time this has happened, won't be the last

I think he got good attributes. His long attacking kicking is good, hits hard with his tackles and has improved his intercept marking. But I don't think he will ever be a great lockdown defender.
Just can't protect the lead. As hopeful as I was he could make it as an AFL defender, it looks like it's not happening, at least with us.

With the recruitment of Arnold, return of Ramps likely return of TMac and our dearth of key forwards at VFL level, surely we give him one last chance as a forward in the VFL? At very least, he will be able to provide a contest and crash a few packs for us. Might also nail a few from long distance. Nothing for us to lose by trying this, especially given the VFL season is a complete write off..............

Just can't protect the lead. As hopeful as I was he could make it as an AFL defender, it looks like it's not happening, at least with us.

With the recruitment of Arnold, return of Ramps likely return of TMac and our dearth of key forwards at VFL level, surely we give him one last chance as a forward in the VFL? At very least, he will be able to provide a contest and crash a few packs for us. Might also nail a few from long distance. Nothing for us to lose by trying this, especially given the VFL season is a complete write off..............
He's lazy and will be gone

Remove this Banner Ad

VFL 2023 Swans Reserves

Remove this Banner Ad

Back