VFL 2024 Swans Reserves

Remove this Banner Ad

My review of our season, not sure how comprehensive this will be.

Overall it was disappointing. Despite relatively few injuries, we didn't make finals. Drawing the reigning premiers and a win against Footscray were probably among our best results.

What was achieved?

* we discovered we have a couple of promising key defenders in Edwards and Snell

* we got to look some more at youngsters like Mitchell, Vickery, Konstanty, Magor, Kirk, and, latterly, Hanily and Arnold, although what we learned was unclear. None of them looked terrible but, with the possible exception of Mitchell, none really broke out. It seems that probably Konstanty, and probably others too, will not be on the list next year.

* we built our KPP depth by adding Hamling (who turned into a welcome revelation playing forward) and hopefully Buller comes back better next year with a proper pre-season under his belt

* Francis was excellent intercepting and rebounding down back all year. Probably our best VFL player from our AFL list. Ben Edwards would have been our best VFL-listed player.

* we began our development of Will Green who, to me, looks like an exciting prospect for a couple of seasons time. Hopefully there can be a smooth passing of the baton from Grundy to Greeny.

* we had some great signings for our VFL list, most especially Ben Edwards andMatt Lloyd was great later in the season. Beyond them, Phil Moi Moi had his moments, Byron Laws exceeded expectations, Geddes was reliable and industrious.

* we got a few games into young Academy prospects (primarily Cochran and Harrison)

* we discovered James Lugsdin can play at VFL level, although I'm not holding my breath for him to make it on to an AFL list.

Some less positive developments:

* Will Kelly was something of a bust.

* What happened to Charlie McCartin?

* Sheldrick's season was blighted by injury (again!)

Hopefully others can add more?
Unfortunately nobody really emerged as a “must pick in the seniors” from the VFL this year, which was a disappointment.

Cleary developed nicely & looks likely to have a good AFL career. To my eye, he’s already superior to Wicks.

Sheldrick must be incredibly frustrated. After Nathan Buckley said he’d be a “star of the comp” pre-season, he once again copped two six week injuries. Next season is critical.

Corey has some speed and evasive skills - but never really ripped a VFL game apart. Needs to up his possession count to really impact.

Sid seemed to stagnate. Doesn’t do much wrong, but not sure he has the athleticism or “ping” to go to the next level.

Snell was possibly the no.1 good news story. He can really play & shows great promise as a defender. Excited to see how he develops next year.

Edwards was ok - but I think some here overhyped his performances. Was moved forward late in the season, with limited effect.

Ladhams is Ladhams.

Hamling is a decent VFL standard forward - but seems his AFL ship has sailed. Still unsure why he didn’t move back when we had KPD problems at AFL level. A premiership defender & we somehow turned him into an average VFL forward.

Kirk was disappointing. Low possession counts were a feature & he didn’t really succeed as a lock down small defender.

McAndrew didn’t progress a lot. Not sure he’ll be on the list next year.

Vickery did some nice things, but never stood out. He has good skills and a decent turn of foot. But the fact he never seemed near a debut is telling.

Magor is similar - just hasn’t showed enough to look AFL ready. Not sure what his best position is - he seemed to be somewhere different every week.

Ben Edwards is a good VFL level mid. Not sure he’s quite AFL standard though.

Harry Arnold is hard to assess - as by the time he returned from injury, the season was nearly over.

Will Green is nowhere near physically developed enough to impact at VFL, let alone AFL level. Need a LOT of time in the gym in the off-season.

Konstanty should be banging the door down - as a first round small forward pick, he’s been underwhelming. Not quite sure what his stand-out strengths are & there’s no way he’s a better option than Cleary in the forward line.

Lugsdin had one really good game that made me sit up and take notice. But he never managed to repeat it. Kinda the (small) Armatey of our VFL season.

Buller carried a bad back injury that limited his output and eventually ended his season. The club extended him, so evidently sees promise.

Hanily showed flashes, but nothing to suggest he’s in Cleary’s league as a forward.

Lloyd was fairly good late in the season. One to keep an eye on.

Harrison looked to have good composure and likewise is one to watch.

Overall, I saw it as an underwhelming VFL season - some decent wins, but a lot of fairly directionless efforts in defeat.

To me, Snell was the main positive.

Unfortunately nobody really emerged as a “must pick in the seniors” from the VFL this year, which was a disappointment.

Cleary developed nicely & looks likely to have a good AFL career. To my eye, he’s already superior to Wicks.

Sheldrick must be incredibly frustrated. After Nathan Buckley said he’d be a “star of the comp” pre-season, he once again copped two six week injuries. Next season is critical.

Corey has some speed and evasive skills - but never really ripped a VFL game apart. Needs to up his possession count to really impact.

Sid seemed to stagnate. Doesn’t do much wrong, but not sure he has the athleticism or “ping” to go to the next level.

Snell was possibly the no.1 good news story. He can really play & shows great promise as a defender. Excited to see how he develops next year.

Edwards was ok - but I think some here overhyped his performances. Was moved forward late in the season, with limited effect.

Ladhams is Ladhams.

Hamling is a decent VFL standard forward - but seems his AFL ship has sailed. Still unsure why he didn’t move back when we had KPD problems at AFL level. A premiership defender & we somehow turned him into an average VFL forward.

Kirk was disappointing. Low possession counts were a feature & he didn’t really succeed as a lock down small defender.

McAndrew didn’t progress a lot. Not sure he’ll be on the list next year.

Vickery did some nice things, but never stood out. He has good skills and a decent turn of foot. But the fact he never seemed near a debut is telling.

Magor is similar - just hasn’t showed enough to look AFL ready. Not sure what his best position is - he seemed to be somewhere different every week.

Ben Edwards is a good VFL level mid. Not sure he’s quite AFL standard though.

Harry Arnold is hard to assess - as by the time he returned from injury, the season was nearly over.

Will Green is nowhere near physically developed enough to impact at VFL, let alone AFL level. Need a LOT of time in the gym in the off-season.

Konstanty should be banging the door down - as a first round small forward pick, he’s been underwhelming. Not quite sure what his stand-out strengths are & there’s no way he’s a better option than Cleary in the forward line.

Lugsdin had one really good game that made me sit up and take notice. But he never managed to repeat it. Kinda the (small) Armatey of our VFL season.

Buller carried a bad back injury that limited his output and eventually ended his season. The club extended him, so evidently sees promise.

Hanily showed flashes, but nothing to suggest he’s in Cleary’s league as a forward.

Lloyd was fairly good late in the season. One to keep an eye on.

Harrison looked to have good composure and likewise is one to watch.

Overall, I saw it as an underwhelming VFL season - some decent wins, but a lot of fairly directionless efforts in defeat.

To me, Snell was the main positive.

I agree it was disappointing overall but I'm not quite so pessimistic as you. Roberts has transitioned from our VFL side and done well this year (despite an awful first AFL game) - been a revelation really - which suggests our development is ok (and also speaks to his own talent and determination).

Snell is a bright spot, but equally so is Cleary. Cleary has been sensational the past two matches in seniors and I completely agree that Wicks should be worried. I doubt they will both be selected in seniors in the near future if we don't have injuries.

With a bunch of the players you are writing off being second year (and even first year) players, I think you might be expecting too much. Our VFL list (as in the AFL guys playing in the VFL) is probably younger than some other VFL lists. Apart from Francis and Hamling, there aren't too many 'journeymen' there. And it's not just that they're young, our seniors are really strong so it's difficult for them to get opportunities and show what they have to offer at AFL level. I have been pleasantly surprised by Cleary's strong showings, which have exceeded my expectations.

I don't agree that Caleb 'Sid' Mitchell has stagnated. Even if he didn't maintain his early season pace, I think he showed plenty of promise. He's a bit like Corey in that he doesn't have any obvious weapons but he's got a lot of versatility, and a great tank and work ethic. He's also a bit bigger than Gulden/Chad/Adams/Gus/Campbell/Cleary/Vickery. I don't see him being delisted.

We have enough depth to cover a few injuries to seniors but the list doesn't continue to bat deep all the way. I think it's pretty hard to retain that many players with AFL promise - they're liable to be lured away.

I agree it was disappointing overall but I'm not quite so pessimistic as you. Roberts has transitioned from our VFL side and done well this year (despite an awful first AFL game) - been a revelation really - which suggests our development is ok (and also speaks to his own talent and determination).

Snell is a bright spot, but equally so is Cleary. Cleary has been sensational the past two matches in seniors and I completely agree that Wicks should be worried. I doubt they will both be selected in seniors in the near future if we don't have injuries.

With a bunch of the players you are writing off being second year (and even first year) players, I think you might be expecting too much. Our VFL list (as in the AFL guys playing in the VFL) is probably younger than some other VFL lists. Apart from Francis and Hamling, there aren't too many 'journeymen' there. And it's not just that they're young, our seniors are really strong so it's difficult for them to get opportunities and show what they have to offer at AFL level. I have been pleasantly surprised by Cleary's strong showings, which have exceeded my expectations.

I don't agree that Caleb 'Sid' Mitchell has stagnated. Even if he didn't maintain his early season pace, I think he showed plenty of promise. He's a bit like Corey in that he doesn't have any obvious weapons but he's got a lot of versatility, and a great tank and work ethic. He's also a bit bigger than Gulden/Chad/Adams/Gus/Campbell/Cleary/Vickery. I don't see him being delisted.

We have enough depth to cover a few injuries to seniors but the list doesn't continue to bat deep all the way. I think it's pretty hard to retain that many players with AFL promise - they're liable to be lured away.
One serious problem that all clubs have is the size of the list. We may remember that they were reduced with COVID (basically to save money) but one serious consequence is that they are not big enough for every week:
26 senior players 23+3
8-10 listed players in VFL of AFL standard ie genuine depth
8-10 listed players first and second year draft/rookie standard developing
6-12 injured players
This is why clubs fill the rookie list with experienced players.

https://www.standard.net.au/story/8737467/

Former AFL player to make long-awaited Hampden league debut for contender​

Matt Hughes

Matt Hughes
Journalist. Published 21 August 2024, 04:11 PM
6259e138ea467760421a348225822f37.jpeg
Former GWS Giant Nick Shipley will debut for Terang Mortlake on Saturday. Picture by Getty Images
Terang Mortlake had a good win too by 29 pts Mister B

Attachments

• IMG_4937.jpeg
    IMG_4937.jpeg
    103 KB · Views: 21

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm interested. What does it say?
Basically said country footy was tougher than expected for him but made an impression on the team and played well. His connections with Lewy Taylor helped him transition to life here

Remove this Banner Ad

VFL 2024 Swans Reserves

Remove this Banner Ad

Back