List Mgmt. 2023 Trade & List Management discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Honestly we should make a play for Ginnivan. Won't cost much

Shocked Sesame Street GIF

And with the stroke of a pen, the name Jack Ginnivan was never spoken of again

Interested in how Collingwood is going to fill out it’s list.

They still have 5 list spots to fill, and their two draft picks of note are 9 & 39, then pick 80 (which will obviously come in when the AFL announces the final draft order, but pretty much guarantees that Collingwood will hold the last couple of picks in the draft when it starts).

And then we have the first list manager going on record about the lack of depth in this year’s draft.

IMG_2214.jpeg IMG_2215.jpeg

Cameron’s comments pretty much confirm what quite a few draft watchers have been saying for a while now, it’s a really shallow draft.

Interested in how Collingwood is going to fill out it’s list.

They still have 5 list spots to fill, and their two draft picks of note are 9 & 39, then pick 80 (which will obviously come in when the AFL announces the final draft order, but pretty much guarantees that Collingwood will hold the last couple of picks in the draft when it starts).

And then we have the first list manager going on record about the lack of depth in this year’s draft.

View attachment 1832320View attachment 1832321

Cameron’s comments pretty much confirm what quite a few draft watchers have been saying for a while now, it’s a really shallow draft.

I'm inclined to agree with this because we traded out of this draft. If we had multiple first round picks I'd be searching for stories about 'weak' drafts and pointing out all the good players that were in them.

freo are a feeder club

They do get decent value out of these deals but at some point you have to ask the question as to why you keep losing players. Last year was more them wanted to save $ for Jackson, but losing Acres definitely hurt them in the short term.

Plan might have been to give liam henry that opportunity, lol.

They do get decent value out of these deals but at some point you have to ask the question as to why you keep losing players. Last year was more them wanted to save $ for Jackson, but losing Acres definitely hurt them in the short term.

Freo fans don’t agree with you.

Pick fawning is where it’s at apparently.

It wasn’t just the two Victorian teams that performed poorly either. SA was very weak, and WA was only marginally ahead.

WA looks very weak for next year, from discussions I have followed, while SA is choc full of father son kids to the two SA teams, and a few of the Vic teams.

Can’t see the AFL making too much change to father son accessibility, other than maybe removing the discount on matching bids.

But it will be typical of the AFL to cut back Academy accessibility right when our academy starts to deliver, and we finally look like getting an advantage from it, to keep us competitive while Tas comes in, and we lose access to the Gabba.

There was some discussion on the draft board about the make up of this year’s U16 AA team.

14 Northern academy kids made the team, when at U16 level, they still play Division 1 (Vic Metro, Vic Country, SA & WA) and Division 2 (the four northern academies, plus NT & TAS).

There were some questionable inclusions from the Northern Academies, and omissions from WA, who finished second in Div 1, and Vic.

I’m wondering if that U16 AA team is going to be used as a reason to change accessibility to Northern Academy kids.

I'm inclined to agree with this because we traded out of this draft. If we had multiple first round picks I'd be searching for stories about 'weak' drafts and pointing out all the good players that were in them.
I believe the common view is that the top 15 or so kids are on par for an average draft, but then the talent falls away significantly.

Of the 3 kids I highlighted in the draft thread, there’s been comments that in a “normal” draft, the later two would be potential rookie draft candidates, where as this year, one (Logan Morris) is being spoken about as a potential mid to late second round candidate.

At the moment, a lot of talk about Freo assembling significant draft assets in next year’s draft to make a run at Logan McDonald.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It wasn’t just the two Victorian teams that performed poorly either. SA was very weak, and WA was only marginally ahead.

WA looks very weak for next year, from discussions I have followed, while SA is choc full of father son kids to the two SA teams, and a few of the Vic teams.

Can’t see the AFL making too much change to father son accessibility, other than maybe removing the discount on matching bids.

But it will be typical of the AFL to cut back Academy accessibility right when our academy starts to deliver, and we finally look like getting an advantage from it, to keep us competitive while Tas comes in, and we lose access to the Gabba.

There was some discussion on the draft board about the make up of this year’s U16 AA team.

14 Northern academy kids made the team, when at U16 level, they still play Division 1 (Vic Metro, Vic Country, SA & WA) and Division 2 (the four northern academies, plus NT & TAS).

There were some questionable inclusions from the Northern Academies, and omissions from WA, who finished second in Div 1, and Vic.

I’m wondering if that U16 AA team is going to be used as a reason to change accessibility to Northern Academy kids.
Are you implying that the academy players were put into the AA over WA players, to boost the numbers of the academy players to create a situation where the AFL could say these are equal talent generators now? Do you think some WA kids were more deserving?

Are you implying that the academy players were put into the AA over WA players, to boost the numbers of the academy players to create a situation where the AFL could say these are equal talent generators now? Do you think some WA kids were more deserving?
There were discussions on the draft board at the time about the makeup of the AA team, the selection process, and questioning the selection of so many northern academy kids.

One of the draft watchers went so far as to do his own AA team, on who he thought deserved to be in.

I was NOT a participant in these discussions, just an avid observer.

Can I see the AFL using the number of Northern Academy kids in the U16 AA team as part of their reasoning to change some accessibility rules?

Sure.

There were 5 Suns kids in the team. Suns came second in Div 2.

There were 6 Vic kids total.

There was 1 WA kid, from the team that came second in Div 1.

Some of them are still well connected. And some of them have a great understanding of the game. If I hear Hodgey or Bucks on analysis, I actually pay attention.

Of course, for every one of them, there are 5 Nick Dal Santos, David Kings, Leigh Montagnas. Lucky they made it in football, because they don't have the basic intelligence to have survived otherwise.

And then there's Kane Cornes... Nuff said.

Eh I don’t mind them all other than Cornes, just Fox is still going to be centred around very basic analysis that is able to fit into small segments for an hour long show. It ends up being shallow and not always right but they still try to provide actual insight.

Cornes doesn’t try to be insightful; he tries to get clicks. He has said so himself that he looks at how American sports hosts dish out hot takes that mean nothing and are just made up on the spot. Stephen A and Skip type characters except they provide entertainment from being entertaining characters whereas Cornes is just the shit opinions. They also cover basically everything relevant to sports in America but Cornes is just footy related crap.

It also isn’t needed here at all, just no benefit or value because no one tunes in

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

What is going on with our still OOC players? Is it unusual that no definitive decisions have been made yet?

Blake Coleman- Expecting him to be delisted, what are we waiting for?

Shadeau Brain- Sign him up already please.

Carter Michael- Worth another year even though we are well covered in that area of the ground IMO, been unlucky with injury.

Darryl McDowell-White- Has he been given enough time to show his worth?

Dayne Zorko- Why not given another year yet, strange one, does the club want him to retire?

Rhys Mathieson- Almost certain to be delisted.

What is going on with our still OOC players? Is it unusual that no definitive decisions have been made yet?

Blake Coleman- Expecting him to be delisted, what are we waiting for?

Shadeau Brain- Sign him up already please.

Carter Michael- Worth another year even though we are well covered in that area of the ground IMO, been unlucky with injury.

Darryl McDowell-White- Has he been given enough time to show his worth?

Dayne Zorko- Why not given another year yet, strange one, does the club want him to retire?

Rhys Mathieson- Almost certain to be delisted.
With our season going right to the final game and most of our list away on a planned break, I would suggest the club doesn't want to give players shitty news while on a deserved break at the end of a gruelling season.
As for your above opinion on who stays/who gets shunted, who knows? That said, some of them I agree with 100%.

How much cash would Gunston leaving free up? Any interest in Jack Billings? Fits the type we often target (talented but always injured). Could take a HFF spot if we are looking to get Rayner/Bailey/DevRob into the middle a bit more.

How much cash would Gunston leaving free up? Any interest in Jack Billings? Fits the type we often target (talented but always injured). Could take a HFF spot if we are looking to get Rayner/Bailey/DevRob into the middle a bit more.

Don't think a deal for Billings will be reached with so little time left in the trade period.
We'd hear something if there was interest.

I'm still naively hoping Nick Coffield mooted deal to the Dogs falls through and he comes to us.:(

Don't think he is needed at the moment. Not sure about his back/mf time, but we have other players who can swap from defence to wing from the backline anyway. All other midfield rotations come from the forward half in Rayner and Bailey.

A lot of people tend to forget that we will have two Ashcrofts in the team by the start of the 2025 season. That's two more potential mids in the mix. Only thing we don't have is another tall defender like Payne (Adams) and another decent forward (McStay).

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2023 Trade & List Management discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Back