List Mgmt. 2023 Trade & List Management discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

I think that contract model (the Fyfe, Buddy, Dusty thing) is mostly a thing of the past. I guess he’ll be on very good but not crazy good money for a pretty long time. 5 years or something.
By the time his next contract finishes I wouldn’t be surprised if he was up there somewhere

The new cba kicks in now, with the average salary going up to $500k+ by 2027, so I expect to see McCluggage and WAshcroft become our first million dollar players.
Neale is probably on 900k already so if he had it written in his contract to go up with the CBA then he will get there too.

Neale is probably on 900k already so if he had it written in his contract to go up with the CBA then he will get there too.
I recall reading that we're one of the clubs that don't include CBA increase boosters in our contracts, so we have more cap room in coming years - can't tell you where though.

McCluggage and Coleman staying long term will be absolutely huge for future years.

I was a little worried both would get ridiculous offers from opposition clubs so this is wonderful news for grand final week.

I’d imagine this is why we’re getting on the front foot early, and trying to get pen to paper before other clubs start circling next year. Can’t be tempted by ridiculous Essendon money if it’s not yet been offered lol

I recall reading that we're one of the clubs that don't include CBA increase boosters in our contracts, so we have more cap room in coming years - can't tell you where though.

If we don't we must be doing something to make up for it, or the door is ajar for big money offers.

I’m not too fussed either way if we land Doedee or Chol. Can see the appeal in both from the clubs point of view, Doedee in particular would be a great get. He is a gun but again if we missed out, he has had 2 ACL’s ect. So I’m not overly invested like I was when we were linked to Daniher and Dunkley.

I would really love to add Nick Coffield though. Obviously had a rough run since the ACL but went top 10 the same draft as Rayner, Bailey, Starcevich and Payne. Would love to add another high caliber player among that same age group. Could assist us in staying in finals contention as our gun players aged 29+ slow down over the next few years.

The most appealing thing to me about getting Doedee apart from his obvious football traits is that Collingwood want him, Gettable jokingly referred to the GF as the Doedee cup.

Sydney very keen as well so he is obviously very highly rated by industry insiders.

But would be really happy to bring in Coffield.

If we lose Dev to the Eagles, could the club look to pick up a cheap midfielder to sure up a bit of depth?

Just looking at the list of delisted players I noticed Jackson Hately is one of them. He had good wraps in his draft year, went top 10 I think (could be wrong there). Sure he hasn't gone great guns at the 2 clubs he's been with but is that more because of a lack of opportunity than poor performance? Is the potential still there? I haven't really followed his career to know. I'm not exactly pushing for him, his name just caught my eye.

Maybe there's other midfielders on that list that could also provide some depth at a low cost, eg Jack Bytel. Should we lose Dev it's down to just Lyons and Tunstill as cover. Assuming one of those two would step up until Ashcroft returns, that would leave just one as depth.

Is it worth considering a cheap midfielder come trade time?

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If we lose Dev to the Eagles, could the club look to pick up a cheap midfielder to sure up a bit of depth?

Just looking at the list of delisted players I noticed Jackson Hately is one of them. He had good wraps in his draft year, went top 10 I think (could be wrong there). Sure he hasn't gone great guns at the 2 clubs he's been with but is that more because of a lack of opportunity than poor performance? Is the potential still there? I haven't really followed his career to know. I'm not exactly pushing for him, his name just caught my eye.

Maybe there's other midfielders on that list that could also provide some depth at a low cost, eg Jack Bytel. Should we lose Dev it's down to just Lyons and Tunstill as cover. Assuming one of those two would step up until Ashcroft returns, that would leave just one as depth.

Is it worth considering a cheap midfielder come trade time?
if we resign matho on a 1 year deal we should be fine for depth pending ashcroft's return. would give us sufficient depth for 2024.

also worth noting we will have levi ashcroft and sam marshall as midfield prospects in next years draft. with tunstill hopefully demanding senior selection next year and those two coming into the club, i think we will be well stocked for midfielders going forward

if we resign matho on a 1 year deal we should be fine for depth pending ashcroft's return. would give us sufficient depth for 2024.

also worth noting we will have levi ashcroft and sam marshall as midfield prospects in next years draft. with tunstill hopefully demanding senior selection next year and those two coming into the club, i think we will be well stocked for midfielders going forward

I think the game is moving past Matho though. Even in the VFL he's looked very average

I think the game is moving past Matho though. Even in the VFL he's looked very average

To be fair I don't think his injury helped his form at all. Think he's a very good VFL level mid. Certainly not AFL level though.

for a guy who is probably third in the pecking order for getting a call up if injuries occur i dont think we will do much better than him

if robertson does leave i would imagine answerth will be played in his role next year, which will leave tunstill, lyons, mathieson (in order of my preference of getting called up) as depth for the inside mids

for a guy who is probably third in the pecking order for getting a call up if injuries occur i dont think we will do much better than him

if robertson does leave i would imagine answerth will be played in his role next year, which will leave tunstill, lyons, mathieson (in order of my preference of getting called up) as depth for the inside mids
Dev to me is playing an inside mid/fwd pressure role. I don't know if that's in Answerths wheelhouse. I think he's more hb/wing material. His body has also let him down a lot and that could continue. He's got a lot of work to do, off and on field to get back to Afl standard. He's a player I like but I fear he's destined to be one of those players that will have a good career cut short by injury.

Obvisously as my posts have shown, I am a big fan of Robertson but I’m not sure what his role is once Ashcroft returns. Zorks might retire which would free up a spot for him albeit in a different role. I like him as a defensive mid/HFF but certainly wouldn’t play him above Ashy. With Cal, Fletch and Bez having the wings locked up, I don’t know there is a role for him on the ring anymore either. Beyond next year we may have a 1st year player that could take up a part time mid/wing/HFF role as well. His defensive run is really important for us and part of the reason IMO we have looked so good with just 2 talls. Neale might start slowing down over the next few years and Dunks could become the #1 mid for a time, allowing Robertson to take the Dunkley role but I don’t see that happening next season either.

Obvisously as my posts have shown, I am a big fan of Robertson but I’m not sure what his role is once Ashcroft returns. Zorks might retire which would free up a spot for him albeit in a different role. I like him as a defensive mid/HFF but certainly wouldn’t play him above Ashy. With Cal, Fletch and Bez having the wings locked up, I don’t know there is a role for him on the ring anymore either. Beyond next year we may have a 1st year player that could take up a part time mid/wing/HFF role as well. His defensive run is really important for us and part of the reason IMO we have looked so good with just 2 talls. Neale might start slowing down over the next few years and Dunks could become the #1 mid for a time, allowing Robertson to take the Dunkley role but I don’t see that happening next season either.
I'm a big Dev fan too, but I do think he has a future role here. He will certainly hold his spot in the team until Ashcroft returns. Then he's definitely number 1 option should injuries occur for the rest of the season. He's already playing an inside mid/fwd defensive role similar to Ashcroft and Zorks to a degree. He's definitely not a winger. I agree you wouldn't play him instead of Ashcroft but if Zorks drops off or is injured he's the man. He could definitely play 15+ games next year, especially come finals if there's injuries. So I think 2024 would be a good year for him. If he does re-sign, I'd think Matho is delisted.

2025 I believe Zorks will retire and Lyons probably delisted. As stated by rye were likely to pick up Levi Ashcroft and Sam Marshall. Levi may be an instant first grader, he may not be either so I'd like to see Dev take Zorks role (he surely deserves first shot) and he and Will Ashcroft rotate during games. I don't know anything about Marshall, but I presume he may take some developing. Even still we'd have Dev and Levi, competing for Zorks spot and sub. Tunstill and Marshall as depth. He could cement his spot in the team by the end of 2025 for 2026 and beyond if he performs or there's a long term injury.

I really hope he re-signs, he's tough, talented, and is of good character. I hope he stays to reap the rewards of a team in a wide open window for a few years. I've heard the argument that a players career can be over in a instant if sever injury happens and that they should take the money when offered. But after being part of one rebuild why leave a great team to be part of another rebuild just for money. I'd reckon a true sportsman would prefer success over cash at the end of their time, not that he wouldn't be making decent cash if he stayed anyway. I think it's a 3yr contract offered by the Lions, even at the end of that he's only 26 if he wants to leave I'm sure the offers would still be there. If he's not cemented after 2yrs, I'm sure he could ask to be traded. I really don't see a down side for him if he stays.

Hard to take him seriously when he says his body and his form has been as good this year as it has ever been

Hope he goes graciously at the end of this year
If Zorko wants to play on in 2024 the Club would be crazy not to sign him up for another year.

There are not too many bad games in his 19 this year or the 22 & 23 in the previous 2 years.

I'd disagree wholeheartedly

He's 19th in the player of the year votes on this board for this year and was equal 11th last year
Nathan we defiantly disagree on his form.

If we win on Saturday Zorko may retire on 250 games along with all his other achievements.
But he may love playing AFL and decide to play on. He may just need the money who knows.

He is now more of a role player that still gets a lot of the ball unlike other role players.
Different to Linc in that he plays more up the ground than him.
Zorko is reasonably versatile in that he can play forward/midfield & halfback if needed.

We have Ashcroft missing for some time in 2024.
Lohmann, Answerth and Madden all with shoulder injuries and may take some time to get back into form.
Dev unsigned at present.

Lions have quite a few players to cut before Zorko.
I think Zorko would be offered reasonable money for a 1-year contract.
It would be $ based on his age being 35 years old in 2024 and form.
The difference in coin to not resigning the OOC players below would not be worth worrying about.
Mathieson, Cockatoo, B Coleman, C Michael & Fullarton

If Zorko retires we may get lucky in the draft but that is a lottery.
Movement of all Club players that are OOC is unknown at this time.
Another years contract is well worth the gamble in my opinion.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2023 Trade & List Management discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Back