List Mgmt. 2023 Trade & List Management discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Realistically, if Dev was to request a trade, a mid 30’s pick would be his trade value.
WAshcroft doesn't return from his ACL until late next season and LAshcroft is draft eligible next year so won't play until at least 2025. If he stays, he's still got a year to break into the midfield rotation; I personally think we would be a more balanced side if we had someone like Robertson spending more time in the middle.

This is the closest we have in terms of genuine mail:
I’d assume BL would rather a F3 to get points for Ashcroft bid next year? Our R3 pick this year should have been 37 which I personally think is fair value but will end up in the mid 40s so I’m sure you’d prefer F3. Saw that post RE: re-signing but surprising they haven’t announced anything with the re-signings already announced and I don’t think it’s Dev and his manager would be thinking about/signing off on during GF week surely? I think he’d be a great get for the eagles and is surplus to requirements at BL however not all Eagles supporters share that view but think it would work out well for both our clubs.

I’d assume BL would rather a F3 to get points for Ashcroft bid next year? Our R3 pick this year should have been 37 which I personally think is fair value but will end up in the mid 40s so I’m sure you’d prefer F3. Saw that post RE: re-signing but surprising they haven’t announced anything with the re-signings already announced and I don’t think it’s Dev and his manager would be thinking about/signing off on during GF week surely? I think he’d be a great get for the eagles and is surplus to requirements at BL however not all Eagles supporters share that view but think it would work out well for both our clubs.

I don't think re-signings necessarily get announced as they happen. Admittedly there's more interest in the Robertson re-signing, but there was one year we forgot to announce Keidean Coleman re-signing so I think we supporters care more about it than clubs do.

In terms of points, I think we've seen how easy getting points is, so I'm not sure a future third will move the needle a whole lot; we may prefer the pick this year where we don't have any F/S or academy players, and we also don't have a first round pick.

Last edited:
Not really. If Berry and Rayner are close to the hub of our culture and vibe, that might be part of the issue.
I think with Berry, expectations around his output need to be tempered. No need to trade him as he is obviously a well liked and respected member of the team. Instead, at 25, we need to accept he won’t ever be more than in the range of 10-15th best on the team. As long as he is treated as such at match committee and paid accordingly.

I expect more from Rayner as he teases he is on the cusp of having it all click. For him, with a year wiped because of a knee, it still hopefully might.

I thought we were a better team this year with Ah Chee and Robertson in the side. Controversial I know, as they became regulars at the expense of WAshcroft and Gunston. However, I think we could double down and add another top line runner in the side, maybe even two. Those player/s may already be at the club. All of Madden, Prior, Sharp, Answerth and Tunstill are good runners (I think). Madden and Prior are probably in the top dozen or so guys in the league for pace and Sharp and Prior (again) would be in a similar bracket for endurance. As much as we want to see guys with great skills come into the side, perhaps another runner or two could help tip the scales in our favour, particularly at grounds like the MCG.

Dev likely to stay in Brisbane​

Brisbane is confident Dev Robertson will sign a new short-term deal after proving to the 22-year-old in a 16-game fourth season, it is prepared to hand him senior matches.

Robertson will sit down with his management this week after parking talks through the finals to concentrate on winning a premiership.

West Coast is a strong suitor for a developing talent who kicked a goal from 13 possessions in the grand final – so a player genuinely undecided about his future has the option of signing a one or two-year deal.

Will Ashcroft’s brother Levi, draft-eligible as a Brisbane father-son next year, had 26 possessions and a goal in another classy display in an under-17 futures game on grand final morning.

It is great news for the club, but another reminder to Robertson the Lions midfield will be hard to break into in coming seasons.

Doedee race heats up​

Collingwood and Brisbane continue to push hard to secure the signature of Adelaide free agent Tom Doedee ahead of free agency opening on Friday.

The Lions are considered favourites but Nathan Murphy’s latest concussion in the grand final – with Jeremy Howe 33 – is another reminder to the Pies about their need for another key-position defender.

Clubs believe his asking price could be as high as five years at $600,000 a season.

With the two North PP’s added in to next year’s draft, the first pick of round 3 is currently pick 39.

That’s before any compensation picks are added in for next year’s free agents, etc.

What the club would prefer depends on quite a few factors, the first possibly being do we have a buyer for next years first round pick to get us back in to this year’s draft at the end of the first round or beginning of the second round.

If not, I’d rather a pick in the mid 30’s this year, to use as part of a package to trade up on draft night for one of the late first round picks GC is likely to end up with, after it trades out its current first round pick.

I don’t believe Dev is surplus to requirements here. He’s probably got at least three more seasons where he’s borderline best 22 at worst.

As for Eagle’s supporters views on Dev, I’m well across those opinions.

With the two North PP’s added in to next year’s draft, the first pick of round 3 is currently pick 39.

That’s before any compensation picks are added in for next year’s free agents, etc.

What the club would prefer depends on quite a few factors, the first possibly being do we have a buyer for next years first round pick to get us back in to this year’s draft at the end of the first round or beginning of the second round.

If not, I’d rather a pick in the mid 30’s this year, to use as part of a package to trade up on draft night for one of the late first round picks GC is likely to end up with, after it trades out its current first round pick.

I don’t believe Dev is surplus to requirements here. He’s probably got at least three more seasons where he’s borderline best 22 at worst.

As for Eagle’s supporters views on Dev, I’m well across those opinions.

Dev had a pretty good finals series, certainly better than some of his games when he was just back in the team. Has a defined role as a pressure forward/backup mid if he wants it and has some upside with his decision making and ball use.

Agree we wouldn't get much for him but as you say he'll have a spot in the team for the next couple of years which is why a short term extension makes sense.

Just a thought but could Hipwood be transformed into a defender?

Justin Leppitsch and Darcy Moore both started as key forwards and then became premier key defenders so could the same be done with Hipwood?

Justin Leppitsch and Darcy Moore both started as key forwards and then became premier key defenders so could the same be done with Hipwood?

Wouldn't make much sense given we already have Andrews and Payne, not to mention Gardiner.

No. Poor mark. Both contested and uncontested. Slight build, will get out bodied rather easily.

Hipwood is not a key forward. He’s a 6’7” flanker or third tall.

Left field option - any chance we could make a play for John Noble? Love how he plays, would be a great burst of speed off half back, and given his dad has moved back to Brisbane it might be worth a shot.

He did NOT look happy yesterday, and certainly feel for him being left out of the team after a fairly consistent run for the past couple years.

I think with Berry, expectations around his output need to be tempered. No need to trade him as he is obviously a well liked and respected member of the team. Instead, at 25, we need to accept he won’t ever be more than in the range of 10-15th best on the team. As long as he is treated as such at match committee and paid accordingly.

I expect more from Rayner as he teases he is on the cusp of having it all click. For him, with a year wiped because of a knee, it still hopefully might.
I suspect with Rayner we are so far down the excuse loop, we are going to be making them for the next six years of his career unless something fundamental changes.

As for Berry, surely well liked and respected doesn’t mean you are immune from being traded. It’s not like clubs only trade the unpopular players.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Left field option - any chance we could make a play for John Noble? Love how he plays, would be a great burst of speed off half back, and given his dad has moved back to Brisbane it might be worth a shot.

He did NOT look happy yesterday, and certainly feel for him being left out of the team after a fairly consistent run for the past couple years.
We already have some decent half backs not getting a game in Prior and Madden (yes, they’re two different types of half backs).

Then we have an emerging talent in Shadeau Brain.

And we have a top half back academy prospect in the 2026 draft.

Jeepers there is a lot of " baby out with the bathwater" scenarios being put out there.
Yes we lossed, but I don't necessarily think we need to make huge changes.

Maybe tinker with the gameplan a fraction and either develop/recruit a speedy high pressure mid.....it could be as simple as a role change here and there.
Pressure and perceived pressure in the middle and half forward areas would have created a different game in my opinion.
We need a manic high speed tackler to turn it over and create uncertainty. We can't just rely on Dunkley for our mid defensive pressure at stoppages, it needs to happen on the outside once the ball is in open play.
Bailey could be the man and it might help him have a bigger impact as well
It will just depend if he is willing to sacrifice his offensive game while positioned in the middle.

Pressure and perceived pressure in the middle and half forward areas would have created a different game in my opinion.
We need a manic high speed tackler to turn it over and create uncertainty. We can't just rely on Dunkley for our mid defensive pressure at stoppages, it needs to happen on the outside once the ball is in open play.
Well said, I think Tom Mitchell and his 13 tackles were the difference.

We already have some decent half backs not getting a game in Prior and Madden (yes, they’re two different types of half backs).

Fair enough. Just trying to figure out how to counter what Hill did to us yesterday and spitballing ideas

And we are getting Coffield though Coffield will spend a bit of time through the middle Dodongo would have thought.

And we are getting Coffield though Coffield will spend a bit of time through the middle Dodongo would have thought.

Most recent talk I thought was that the saints have gone back with another offer, so hold off on this thought for now lol

Very Keen

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2023 Trade & List Management discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Back