List Mgmt. 2023 Trade & List Management Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Edit: will update if ppl happy for this to sticky

Ok starting the hit list of names mentioned in any rumour as linked to us for 2023 trade period.
  • Mac Andrew
  • Hunter Clark
  • Zac Fisher
  • Sam Flanders
  • Mitch Georgiades
  • Liam Henry
  • Dougal Howard
  • Lewis Melican
  • Jack Silvagni
  • Dylan Stephens
  • Adam Tomlinson

Last edited:

Damo just said that Payne at Brisbane has just secured a 5 year extension, on top of his current contract that was due to finish next year. So 6 more years. Holy shit! Sure he's had a very good year, and was playing reserves last year, but 6 more years after 1 good unfinished season, is just nuts!

Edit: also, if Payne is worth 6 more years, makes you think what sort of tenured deals must be getting thrown at McKay. Higher draft pick thanks!

Last edited:
Interesting interview with the WC list manager.

He seemed restrained with his praise of Reid and more eager to talk about Curtin. He said Reid would be a very good player but it sounded more of the standard lines. For Curtin his praise was more specific.

To me, it sounded like they will trade down for Curtin. But thats me connecting dots in my own mind.

Also, the way that they mentioned Melican, I think its a pretty good shot of happening. We need more than him but its a nice depth move.
That’s an interesting interpretation, I didn’t take that from the interview at all. My take was it will have to be an exceptional offer for them to trade pick 1. I interpreted his commentary on Reid as considered and very respectful to his family I think they rate him as the best kid in the draft and are quietly confident he won’t be a flight risk.

I'm seeing and hearing more about a push for Grundy to North. I'm not against the idea, but as with every deal, it depends on what it will cost us. On the plus side his value has decreased given he's been stuck in the twos for weeks. Pies and Demons still paying part of his salary helps.

I doubt he'd want to join us though if he has a choice. Probably more likely to go home to SA and play for a club there.

I'm seeing and hearing more about a push for Grundy to North. I'm not against the idea, but as with every deal, it depends on what it will cost us. On the plus side his value has decreased given he's been stuck in the twos for weeks. Pies and Demons still paying part of his salary helps.

I doubt he'd want to join us though if he has a choice. Probably more likely to go home to SA and play for a club there.
"He doesn't offer much in a leadership sense," Rendell told AFL Trade Radio.

"He's not in the leadership group for a bloke that has been around as long as he has and how influential he is in games."

Timing is off on this one I think.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think we should go after Grundy , we are in bad need of a 25-30 year old that knows how to work hard enough/ work rate , unfortunately the cost of a mid like Grundy would cost us a early first . I also think we should trade 2/19/future second for Reid if wc would do it .

That’s an interesting interpretation, I didn’t take that from the interview at all. My take was it will have to be an exceptional offer for them to trade pick 1. I interpreted his commentary on Reid as considered and very respectful to his family I think they rate him as the best kid in the draft and are quietly confident he won’t be a flight risk.
Thats okay, to take that interpretation. I'm far from a body language expert and he's probably just giving generic answers to get through it.

I just felt that whenever discussing Reid it was "he's good but so are others" and discussing Curtin it was just "he's really good".

Even when asked about trading pick one his main point was that it depends how the draft order falls and who you get for trading it.

Here's the quotes

On Harley Reid as a flight risk...
"We've chatted to him and his family, only briefly, but there's been none of that, and none of that from any player in the draft pool... sometimes we make that judgement, as well, on how we feel that the boy might relocate, even if in their mind they are really keen to."

On Reid as a player...
"He's very good, as are some of the boys that are considered at that end of the draft. I feel like with Harley he's had more focus on him than a lot of the boys that I've seen before. Only the future will tell if that turns out to be right but he's a very good player and he'll play a lot of AFL footy."

On Daniel Curtin...
"Daniel had a really good carnival, there's no doubt, and I think that what also helped him is not only his form but his form in a number of roles. He's shown he can play back, he went into the midfield and had a real impact on games there. So there's no doubt across the carnival that he pushed his stocks up."

On trading pick 1...
"You have to wait and see, 1, what the offers would be and 2, you really need your final draft order, or as close to it as possible, to take into account, when the offer comes in, what it means you will get in the draft."

"He doesn't offer much in a leadership sense," Rendell told AFL Trade Radio.

"He's not in the leadership group for a bloke that has been around as long as he has and how influential he is in games."
You could say similar about Goldy, and I don't think it's been an issue for us, he's still performed at a high level for many years.

So I don't think that should prevent us from exploring Grundy.

Fun fact.

The key defenders who have the lowest percentage of defensive one-on-one contests lost in 2023 are:

1) Melican
2) Weitering
3) Taylor
4) Tomlinson
5) Henry
I was keen on us going after Melican last year, wouldn't have cost us much because he wasn't getting a game. He's no world beater, but he's decent.

Tomlinson is also interesting, only played 20 games over the last 3 years. Could be worth a nibble. Almost 30 though.

I was keen on us going after Melican last year, wouldn't have cost us much because he wasn't getting a game. He's no world beater, but he's decent.

Tomlinson is also interesting, only played 20 games over the last 3 years. Could be worth a nibble. Almost 30 though.
Yeah if the aim of the game is to just have someone we can use to stop a gorilla, then I can see the logic.

Ideally we'd be looking at KPDs who are also good offensive users too, but I guess that's where O'Sullivan or Curtin could come in.

Tomlinson isn’t a key defender, his best seasons have come when he was playing as a running wingman. No.

Melican is one of the worst key defenders in the league, quite slow and poor agility. If we need bodies purely for height they he may be okay, but there is a reason why Sydney often prefer to go with an undersized backline rather than have him play.

Also there is no way Young or Bonar survive the cull. Both were in the last chance saloon and they’ve both given us nothing all year.

Any news on Grainger Barass at the Hawks ? Other players like Jade Gresham and Jack Billings at the Saints might add some depth, not sure of their contract status'. And I am sure we will be still interested Hunter Clark

Tomlinson isn’t a key defender, his best seasons have come when he was playing as a running wingman. No.

Melican is one of the worst key defenders in the league, quite slow and poor agility. If we need bodies purely for height they he may be okay, but there is a reason why Sydney often prefer to go with an undersized backline rather than have him play.

Also there is no way Young or Bonar survive the cull. Both were in the last chance saloon and they’ve both given us nothing all year.
The way that I see it, we'll have Logue who can do a good job on gorillas and is also athletic. But we need to survive 10+ weeks next season with him.

We'll have Corr + O'Sullivan/Curtin. Maybe we swing Comben back and that does or doesn't work. Maybe we add another guy.

Melican can play in the VFL. We can go undersized most weeks. But until Logue is back we might need him to play on a gorilla every now and then.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back