List Mgmt. 2023 Trade & List Management Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Edit: will update if ppl happy for this to sticky

Ok starting the hit list of names mentioned in any rumour as linked to us for 2023 trade period.
  • Mac Andrew
  • Hunter Clark
  • Zac Fisher
  • Sam Flanders
  • Mitch Georgiades
  • Liam Henry
  • Dougal Howard
  • Lewis Melican
  • Jack Silvagni
  • Dylan Stephens
  • Adam Tomlinson

Last edited:
I don't often disagree with everything in a comment this long, but this is one.

We overpaid for him. We have two blokes in the top 100 salary earners in the league, and he's one. He's not worth the 750k odd we're paying him but he was an in demand KPD so we coughed up.

I've also not seen much form from him to suggest a leap to an A grade level. I'm sure it's within him but the glimpses have been so fleeting, I'd be more confident in McKay going to the next level. Logue has, consistently since things started falling apart around gather round, missed spoils and been caught out standing miles away from his opponent. With McKay you can attribute the blunders to a complete lack of grey matter in his head. Griff is a smarter player imo but his intention is often out of sync with the outcome ie. he just isn't very good at times

No chance at being top 3 in the BnF either when he went down. Scott, Larkey, Sheezel all well clear. Shiels, Stephenson, Goldy all very arguable too

Our shithouse pressure upfield hasn't helped him at all, to be sure, but to be perfectly honest I've been a bit disappointed with what he's provided us this year. His first couple of games were brilliant and it came undone pretty quickly from there. I look forward to seeing what he does in a better side, should that outcome ever eventuate

He's not on 750.

I picked mine up on the street and warung's travelling there. But there are different language formalities depending on the social setting.
. Street / market level
. Home level
. School / office
. Govt.level
. Speaking with elders.
I spent a bit of time with formal study but worked for Indo company so spent a bit of time there as well. And wifey teaches English so know the laughs from formal versus street taught well.

Imagine Hodgey's kid choosing the Lions via Academy over Hawks FS.....

On SM-G781B using BigFooty.com mobile app

I would love for that to happen just so I can sit back and enjoy the footy media's outrage because the son of a 4 X premiership player, 3 X premiership captain and 2 X Norm Smith Medallist joined the Lions instead of going to Hawthorn as a Father Son. The bonus will be the media's hypocrisy of them trying to justify why it was fine for Nick Blakey to join the Swans but it's different for Cooper Hodge.
Probably not out of the question, kid has grown up in Brisbane, goes to the same school as my kid a year below, all boys school as thick as thieves and usually a few of the boys in the Lions academy. In fact my young bloke will probably play footy with him next year. Harry Sharp was also there doing year 12 with my older son.

I don't often disagree with everything in a comment this long, but this is one.

We overpaid for him. We have two blokes in the top 100 salary earners in the league, and he's one. He's not worth the 750k odd we're paying him but he was an in demand KPD so we coughed up.

I've also not seen much form from him to suggest a leap to an A grade level. I'm sure it's within him but the glimpses have been so fleeting, I'd be more confident in McKay going to the next level. Logue has, consistently since things started falling apart around gather round, missed spoils and been caught out standing miles away from his opponent. With McKay you can attribute the blunders to a complete lack of grey matter in his head. Griff is a smarter player imo but his intention is often out of sync with the outcome ie. he just isn't very good at times

No chance at being top 3 in the BnF either when he went down. Scott, Larkey, Sheezel all well clear. Shiels, Stephenson, Goldy all very arguable too

Our shithouse pressure upfield hasn't helped him at all, to be sure, but to be perfectly honest I've been a bit disappointed with what he's provided us this year. His first couple of games were brilliant and it came undone pretty quickly from there. I look forward to seeing what he does in a better side, should that outcome ever eventuate
He'd be absolutely worth the 750K (assuming that number is accurate) considering McKay is being offered >800K.
For most of the year until he went down, he almost single handedly held up our defence, in what is arguably the worst defence in the league. If he hadn't been there, 1) our losses would have been far heavier, and 2) we would not have won the 2 games that we did.

And Stevo in the mix for BNF top 3 is just laughable. Goes missing too often in games and doesn't impact as much as he should.

My apologies. Around 650k per year it was. I'd still argue we overpaid for him, but yea that's not as bad
650K for Log when the AFL average wage is 400K, and McKay being offered >800K, is absolutely not overpaying for him.

Don't forget, there were 10 clubs into him last year, the most of any in trading history. So he must be better than average for that to be the case.

I think you're underselling him. He's been important for us this year, in a season where very little has gone right.

There were a couple posters on the Lions board at the time, that thought he might be a good pickup, but apparently he knocked back over $500k a year to stay at Freo as there was considerable interest from other clubs, and North offered a substantial five year deal. Don't think North had to give up too much in draft picks. As you state, it is good that a top 10 draft pick decided to go to North, and wishing him a full recovery.

I have no idea, but a guess, would Logue be on $650K+ per year, over five years? If so, that is not bad coin for a player that was not considered (probably unfairly) as a first 22 KPD at Freo.
It's something like that. Which to me is reasonable for the most sought after trade target in history.
What is McKay worth and will he stay?
According to what's being reported in the media, he's fielding offers of >800K/yr. I don't think he's worth that based on what he's produced this year. But if someone else wants to chew up that much of their cap, and it nets us pick 3, I'm ok with it.

Personally, I don't think he'll stay.

Anyone with anything to do with the AFL: The Roos cut too deep, they ****ed their list by themselves, shouldn't get any PPs.

Also anyone with anything to do with the AFL: ROO CULL INCOMING, ITS NEEDED, NOONES SAFE
and also: North has so much talent on their list and are bursting with first and second round picks that they don't need any assistance.

There were a couple posters on the Lions board at the time, that thought he might be a good pickup, but apparently he knocked back over $500k a year to stay at Freo as there was considerable interest from other clubs, and North offered a substantial five year deal. Don't think North had to give up too much in draft picks. As you state, it is good that a top 10 draft pick decided to go to North, and wishing him a full recovery.

I have no idea, but a guess, would Logue be on $650K+ per year, over five years? If so, that is not bad coin for a player that was not considered (probably unfairly) as a first 22 KPD at Freo.

What is McKay worth and will he stay?
😂 not a chance in hell he was offered over 500k at Fremantle. He’d be on 600 (front loaded) with us. He would of been offered the 400 ish mark. I love how everyone thinks everyone is on 500+ … whats the average? 400? 350k?

He'd be absolutely worth the 750K (assuming that number is accurate) considering McKay is being offered >800K.
For most of the year until he went down, he almost single handedly held up our defence, in what is arguably the worst defence in the league. If he hadn't been there, 1) our losses would have been far heavier, and 2) we would not have won the 2 games that we did.

And Stevo in the mix for BNF top 3 is just laughable. Goes missing too often in games and doesn't impact as much as he should.
I think any key position player would've been key down there. Could make an argument for McKay having helped us in that area too, aside from the Collingwood game. Logue wasn't special in his output, but he did contribute significantly to our wins, for sure.

As for Stepho, I meant up to that point. He's been shithouse since Logue went down, but up to that point he'd had a pretty damn solid season

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No to Thoma
😂 not a chance in hell he was offered over 500k at Fremantle. He’d be on 600 (front loaded) with us. He would of been offered the 400 ish mark. I love how everyone thinks everyone is on 500+ … whats the average? 400? 350k?
Freos first offer to log was reported to be about 250k

Based on list gaps, we would need at the very least two experienced KPDs, one younger developing kpd, one younger developing kpf, one developing ruck, one fast rebounding hb, one fast winger, one classy hb rebounder and one fast small forward.

Given everyone we’ve publicly and privately been linked to, here are some options given we are going to possibly at least lose 10 players:

KPD options
  • Ethan Phillips. Will be training with us over the summer. A bigger 198cm lockdown defender who can intercept. Only will be 25 in 2024. Leg speed and agility the main queries, but there’s a reason clubs have continued to track him.
  • Caleb Graham. 194cm kpd that can lockdown. Ok intercept numbers, but is better at locking down due to his leg speed and contested marking. Lacks a bit of agility. Have talked to him.
  • Melican. Another 194cm defender. Does ok one-on-one, but his lack of leg speed and agility hurts him. Swans often go shorter rather than play him, which doesn’t look great.
  • Nick Haynes. Obvious salary dump candidate. Very mature intercepting third kpd.
  • Kane Baldwin. Essendon 193cm, 97kg prospect. Probably better suited to the more athletic taller forwards and bigger powerful mediums. We haven’t been linked, but he’s an obvious depth option.
  • Kye Turner. 193cm, but only listed at 80ish kg. A psd pickup that hasn’t got a look in.
  • Zac Reid. More on the development side and not sure if * would let him go, but he’s a highly rated youngster at 202cm and 90kg. Is versatile as a kpf or kpd. Has battled a lot with injuries, so expect * to try and keep him. Would cost us a lot in the odd chance he would wants to go. We are interested, but haven’t spoke to him yet.
  • Josh Hamling. A mature forgotten 194cm defender. More a Corr type defender that can do a job on the smaller KPFs. Otherwise, can get outsized quite often. Not sure if he wants to get back to Victoria.
  • Nathan Krueger. 195cm versatile tall that can play at either end. He appears stuck behind a few at the pies. Quick, strong and agile, would be silly not to ask.
  • Tom Highmore. 193cm kpd that can lock down ok. A bit in and out at the saints atm. Good depth.
  • DGB. 194 highly rated versatile tall. Had a patchy start and is in and out a lot. Would still cost us a bit.
  • Jacob Koschitzke. A fallen star that could be a decent kpd.
  • I am sure there are a few other league options and draft options as well, but I’m not looking at draft options at this moment.

KPFs
  • Tom Fullarton. 200cm, 92kg kpf at the lions who has kicked 26.19 at vfl level this year.
  • B Khamis. 191cm versatile tall. I rate him more as a defender, but his forward work has been solid. In and out of the dogs side.
  • Wade Derkson. 194cm athletic tall. Has kicked 31 goals in the vfl this year. A more realistic option to leave than Riccardi. Hasn’t got a look in at the giants.
  • Chris Burgess. A mature, but limited, 194cm kpf with long arms. Not sure he leaves at his age and not sure we would be interested.
  • Joel Smith. Versatile 191cm tall that can play either end. Plays above his height. He is a strong mark of the footy.
  • Reef McIness. 194cm, but plays more like a flanker.

Rucks
  • Ned Moyle. A big 206cm ruck at the GC. Won’t get a look in behind Witts. Putting up solid numbers at vfl level. Quite a few clubs are interested in the young ruck.
  • Matt Flynn. 202cm. Definitely on the outer at the Giants.
  • Grundy. Looking very gettable. We are very interested, but not sure if he is. Give it time.
  • Himmleburg. More a kpf, but can ruck as well. I don’t personally rate him as a slow lumbering tall, but apparently we’ve asked about him.

HBs and General Defenders
  • Nick Hind. In and out at *, so an obvious option with his pace.
  • Casey Voss. He gets listed as an option every MSD and rookie draft.
  • Constable. Slow, but accumulates well off hb.
  • Jy Farrar. 190cm athletic lockdown type that offers solid rebound. A little in and out at the Suns.
  • D’Ambrosio. Remains uncontracted and offers obvious class. Bit of a 23rd man at *.
  • Sean Lemmens. Older lockdown small defender with little rebound. Hasn’t been a lock this year, but is rightfully rated at the suns.
  • Zac Fisher. Isn’t a defender atm, but I wouldn’t mind him as a rebounding hb quarterback Hall type. Wouldn’t cost more than a third. We are interested.
  • Keiden Coleman. While a regular, he has been dropped this year and I think he is very gettable with guarantees and a nice pay increase.
  • Will Gould. Been used as an undersized KPD. Struggling for a game at the swans.

Wings and Mids
  • Declase. 195cm Werribee winger with good endurance. Not sure if he’s keen to be on an afl list given he was overlooked in the msd.
  • Finlay Macrae. Plays more as a mid, but can play wing. A ball pig at vfl level.
  • Bianco, see above.
  • Jeremy Sharp. A 189cm winger and speedster. Exactly what we need.
  • James Jordan. Like Sharp, exactly what we need. In and out of the demons side.
  • O’Brien. A known player with a nice boot, but limited physical intent.
  • Dow. We all know what he is as a player.
  • Alex Davies. In and out of the Suns side. Inside mid.
  • Parfitt. Has fallen out of favour. Probably in the Narkle school of too good for the vfl, but not good enough for the afl.

Small and General Forwards
  • Kai Lohmann. I personally don’t rate him, but has been good at vfl level.
  • Ronke. See above.
  • S Mannagh. A dominant half forward accumulator and goal kicker at vfl level. Should be on a list.
  • Noah Cumberland. A good mark and leg speed. Defensive pressure and attitude the main concern. Definitely has the talent.
Best 30 and delist 30

Great work btw

17-18 is unnecessary. Still need a list and not all afl lists are filled with 18 players that are absolute superstars. Im closer to the 10/11 delistings and see where we are at in 2024
17-18 is very high, but plenty of clubs turn over 11-12 players in an offseason. The extra spots we have, and two LTI rookies, probably has us closer too 15 this year.
That includes trades/free agency and retirements of course.

No to Thoma

Freos first offer to log was reported to be about 250k
Easier to just tell a player you want them to go rather than beat around the bush.

Anyway, obviously it was the right decision, Fremantle have been flying this year without him. :thumbsu:

Probably not out of the question, kid has grown up in Brisbane, goes to the same school as my kid a year below, all boys school as thick as thieves and usually a few of the boys in the Lions academy. In fact my young bloke will probably play footy with him next year. Harry Sharp was also there doing year 12 with my older son.
Laurie’s seems to attract the AFL kids…Hodge coaches one of the teams as well doesn’t he?

Another bit of useless trivia since Jack Payne was mentioned…Fairly sure he was a BFNAAK…second hand info so not certain but my daughter went to the same school and was friends with his sister. It’s a reason I’ve always kept a close eye on how he is going. He’s an under rated player imo.

Kids are soft as shit these days so there is no doubt he’ll want to leave the sanctuary of his mothers tit and will most likely stay in QLD

Laurie’s seems to attract the AFL kids…Hodge coaches one of the teams as well doesn’t he?

Another bit of useless trivia since Jack Payne was mentioned…Fairly sure he was a BFNAAK…second hand info so not certain but my daughter went to the same school and was friends with his sister. It’s a reason I’ve always kept a close eye on how he is going. He’s an under rated player imo.
yeah that said, they've introduced a high performance sports program that my kid is in. The first 15 gone undefeated in union last couple of years, they've got a Man City academy going, a couple of kids athletics national champs. Academic results are massively up as well, think 10pct of kids achieved ATAR's above 95 last year. Pretty impressive considering they are not selective.

My sources, and they're very good sources, tell me Logue is on $700 plus. Not sure how much is front ended.

SAM MENEGOLA (GEELONG)

The unrestricted free agent does want to play on and has now built fitness with five successive VFL games coming back from a knee injury.

He is 31 so would only fit in as a short-term fit but his last two full seasons saw him amass 445 possessions and 16.5 (2021) and 533 possessions and 12.12 (2022).

With Geelong likely to transition to a younger midfield a club could do worse than seeing if he had another 45 games of strong football on a wing.

Menegola has not had a look in at the Cats. Photo by Michael Klein

Menegola has not had a look in at the Cats. Photo by Michael Klein
Source: https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/...g/news-story/2892948c6bf11e14b3948296f813857c

Anyone seen how he’s looked since coming back in the VFL? Could be an okay Shiels-style hire for a year or two to service our wing vacancy?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back