List Mgmt. 2023 Trade & List Management Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Edit: will update if ppl happy for this to sticky

Ok starting the hit list of names mentioned in any rumour as linked to us for 2023 trade period.
  • Mac Andrew
  • Hunter Clark
  • Zac Fisher
  • Sam Flanders
  • Mitch Georgiades
  • Liam Henry
  • Dougal Howard
  • Lewis Melican
  • Jack Silvagni
  • Dylan Stephens
  • Adam Tomlinson

Last edited:

😂 not a chance in hell he was offered over 500k at Fremantle. He’d be on 600 (front loaded) with us. He would of been offered the 400 ish mark. I love how everyone thinks everyone is on 500+ … whats the average? 400? 350k?
Does not mean it is accurate, but that was what was reported via several media sites. North keen to attract a talented player I would not be surprised if Logue on $650+. Some of the figures being mentioned for McKay are in excess of $750K and Himmelberg just reportedly signed with GWS for around $800 per year. Experienced KPP are sought after

Does anyone have any strong views on Will Kelly from the Pies. His brother was a bit of a late bloomer and I remember Will came in with pretty big wraps on him.

Thats okay, to take that interpretation. I'm far from a body language expert and he's probably just giving generic answers to get through it.

I just felt that whenever discussing Reid it was "he's good but so are others" and discussing Curtin it was just "he's really good".

Even when asked about trading pick one his main point was that it depends how the draft order falls and who you get for trading it.

Here's the quotes

On Harley Reid as a flight risk...
"We've chatted to him and his family, only briefly, but there's been none of that, and none of that from any player in the draft pool... sometimes we make that judgement, as well, on how we feel that the boy might relocate, even if in their mind they are really keen to."

On Reid as a player...
"He's very good, as are some of the boys that are considered at that end of the draft. I feel like with Harley he's had more focus on him than a lot of the boys that I've seen before. Only the future will tell if that turns out to be right but he's a very good player and he'll play a lot of AFL footy."

On Daniel Curtin...
"Daniel had a really good carnival, there's no doubt, and I think that what also helped him is not only his form but his form in a number of roles. He's shown he can play back, he went into the midfield and had a real impact on games there. So there's no doubt across the carnival that he pushed his stocks up."

On trading pick 1...
"You have to wait and see, 1, what the offers would be and 2, you really need your final draft order, or as close to it as possible, to take into account, when the offer comes in, what it means you will get in the draft."
Interesting as I didn't watch the interview, I listened to the podcast, so there might be something in your observations. We'll find out one way or another.

Growing your own is the best way to success imo not large cash amounts to average players, there are exceptions if you can entice them ie The Log(you do that generally when you are close to winning it) . Our biggest issue though has been the forever changing of coaches, for every change, we start again. It is imperative we stick phat this time with the coach, otherwise we will be back to square one .
I agree, but I'd add that, in hindsight, our processes (like recruitment, development etc) have been broken for a long time, and the club hadn't realised how dire things had become. If they had, I doubt that we would have hired newbie coaches Shaw and Noble. We need both the stability and a vast injection of expertise and competence. Hopefully, we now have some of that competence, but we may yet have a way to go.

Good stat, thanks. My only comment/rhetorical question is how many players do Sydney lose that they really rate?
Loathe as I am to reply to a rhetorical question, I don't think they wanted to lose Jordan Dawson. And Toby Nankervis and Darcy Cameron are both ex- swans who have kicked on to become regular and quality senior players since leaving Sydney. Gary Rohan also.

I agree, but I'd add that, in hindsight, our processes (like recruitment, development etc) have been broken for a long time, and the club hadn't realised how dire things had become. If they had, I doubt that we would have hired newbie coaches Shaw and Noble. We need both the stability and a vast injection of expertise and competence. Hopefully, we now have some of that competence, but we may yet have a way to go.
True , another issue I think we didn’t think about is when Ben Buckley told Brad his time was up I really don’t think there was any experienced coaches available. I don’t think we thought this through too well either. So we were left with an inexperienced coach . In Rhyce’s defence things might have turned out differently if we didn’t go to the hub. That really hurt us imo.

Would like Mitch Duncan for a 2 year deal and play him off the HBF like Brisbane did with Hodge, simply for leadership and to really help reset our culture.

His skills and professionalism would do wonders along with Shiels to set the standards and show Sheez, Wardlaw, George, WillPhill, Goat, Charlie and the other young Joeys how to prepare and what it takes to be truely elite.

We need more old heads from the dynasty clubs to influence our younger brigade because we can’t rely on our current leaders.
I'd argue, slightly tongue-in-cheek, that we should offer Shiels the co-captaincy with Jye next year. It would certainly highlight the standards we should now be expecting from our players.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

why over complicate it. Trade our future first for their pick 5 now.

means they don't waste an early pick, plus it's a worthy gamble for them, and we get a player a year ahead of schedule.

if we finish bottom four next year the place is cooked anyway.
No.

On SM-S901E using BigFooty.com mobile app

Does anyone have any strong views on Will Kelly from the Pies. His brother was a bit of a late bloomer and I remember Will came in with pretty big wraps on him.
He's looked appalling at senior level this season. He and Kreuger both stood out like beacons of shitness in comparison to their teammates

Yes i mentioned him on here last week. Could be a nice cheeky cheap pick up. Nice to know i am not the only one with a bit of interest in him.

He's looked appalling at senior level this season. He and Kreuger both stood out like beacons of shitness in comparison to their teammates
Only played 2 senior games this year has never had a chance to do much this year really. Stikk think he could be handy for us.

why?

are you expecting us to finish bottom four next year?
As picks currently stand, I don't think this trade would be all that appealing for Gold Coast. It would leave them with a significant deficit carried over to next year which would be detracted from their 1st pick, reducing the value of our 1st significantly. They could always trade in more picks/points this year to address this, but they have to match picks with open list spots and they are already looking at needing to delist 10 main list players, so adding multiple lower level picks may not be viable. Lot could change though.

As picks currently stand, I don't think this trade would be all that appealing for Gold Coast. It would leave them with a significant deficit carried over to next year which would be detracted from their 1st pick, reducing the value of our 1st significantly. They could always trade in more picks/points this year to address this, but they have to match picks with open list spots and they are already looking at needing to delist 10 main list players, so adding multiple lower level picks may not be viable. Lot could change though.
I know a way they could save 1000 odd points straight up.

Start with picks 2, 14, 39, 53 & 59.

1. AFL assistance package consisting of:
  • Pre-list Sanders
  • End of 1st round priority pick that must be traded for a player
  • Continuation of 2 x extra rookie spots, meaning we need to cut two more players (rookies) than we bring in.

2. McKay leaves as a FA, with pick 3 provided as a compensation pick.

3. Trade picks 20 (PP) & 40 to Gold Coast for picks 7, 57 & 63 and Graham, Lemmens & Burgess. Not sure how to gauge salary dumps, but this is roughly Gold Coast giving up a pick in the low 30s to clear 3 x list spots and ~$1.5m salary cap (For 5 x contract years total I've estimated an average $300k p.a. for those players, but not sure if that's even close tbh. Also, that's not accounting for a Walters non-bid, which if included means Gold Coast would only be giving up a pick in the 50s). In comparison, last year Gold Coast gave up ~pick 11 in the trade with Geelong to clear ~$1.6m, but that was for 1 player over 2 x contract years and we don't have the same mouth to anus relationship those two have going on. For us it gives us an extra top 10 pick, a developing KPD and mature KP & HBF depth for a year or two.

4. Lazzaro and picks 54 & 57 to Geelong for their future 3rd round pick. With 5 x top 20 picks coming in I don't think we need to be adding 3rd / 4th round picks to the list for two years. Geelong needs to refresh its list and currently only has picks 10 & 84 as it's first two picks, so may well look at on offer of 2 x 3rd round picks this year for a single 3rd round next year. I've also added Lazzaro in as last time I mentioned Lazzaro to Geelong it received a lot of positive feedback.

5. Picks 60 & 63 to Collingwood for their future 4th round pick. Collingwood also has very few picks this year as it stands, so get rid of a couple of picks we don't need and they get a couple for minimal cost.

Out: Ziebell, Hall, McKay, Lazzaro, Bonar, Young, & Mahony, with Cunnington to retire.
In: Sanders, 2 - McKercher, 3 - Watson, 8 - O'Sullivan, 18 - A Reid and Graham, Lemmens & Burgess.

Rookies:
Out: Turner, Edwards, Howe & Dawson
In: 2 - Ruck & 20 - Mature KPD

I know a way they could save 1000 odd points straight up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back