Ultimate Glory 2023 Trade speculation and Shinbeggars discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
So we have missed on a best 22 key defender, our most pressing need and have now moved back a draft spot. Surely everyone can see that as everyone shares the same view that it's a big loss ?
The contract was obscene.. unless the guy is a top 5 defender in the comp he shouldn’t be paid that amount..
Also think we’ll get the same player at 4 as we were targeting at 3 so shouldn’t affect us adversely by dropping back one spot.. North could not possibly risk not taking Curtin (along with McCercher). We still get Duursma..

If we landed Harry Mc I’d say not a bad get ,$800k per year maybe a bit overpriced he’s not Charlie Curnow afterall , but we miss out on the chance to pay his less talented more injury prone twin brother $800k per year to be a below average poor man’s Brian Lake at FB , and im counting my lucky stars he chose Essendon . It’s the garage sale mentality of those that just buy stuff because it’s for sale .

I think now we have to try trade up to a 10-15 pick and draft ollie murphy. 200cm key defender
Episode 5 Reaction GIF by The Office

The rumoured cash for that deal would have been the equivalent of what Sicily is getting. Let that sink in.

Would much rather look to the state leagues.

Which for a number 2 defender is a bit crazy but its a supply and demand thing at the moment.

It looks like one of those years where trading gives the illusion of list building. Could do worse than just stick to the draft. The good players will come in time.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
I am so tired of this BS. Do you realise how long it takes for a Drafted KP to be at his best. Do you realise that Sicily will only be around or at his PEAK for the next 3-4 yrs. By your strategy we will then have to draft a replacement for Sicily and wait another 4 years and then just pray we have picked the right one.

We cannot convince a player or the players management that we are on the right path.

Yes I am impatient but I have seen this train wreck before. At the moment we cannot close a deal. We are not attractive enough. We might have a good young coach with a sound vision but it is not enough. NEVER is, NEVER will be.

The Riccardi ship has sailed. He just signed a long term deal.
Pretty sure a player can't be traded immediately after signing am extension like that can they?

Interesting though, because we have so much cap space. Is there actually anything stopping us from offering a talented key forward over a million a season upfront and blowing their current club out of the water?
We missed on Riccardi.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What a head fk.

Disappointed we missed out, as he would've helped Sic out massively.

But you gotta move on quick.

I'd now throw coin at Gresham, with Chad out for the year and Brocky gone. Breust getting older. No brainer.
I have personally been indifferent to landing him all along. Being a free agent and tall was his best selling point but his reported salary will be an issue for no matter what club landed him. He hasn't shown anywhere near the output to warrant it.

It has the potential to blow up big time as anything over 4 years is stretching it, but if the reported 7 years is correct, that is playing with fire.

The Hawks will have to turn their attention to other possible targets in the forward line hopefully, but none will be free agents and will come at a trade cost.

I am so tired of this BS. Do you realise how long it takes for a Drafted KP to be at his best. Do you realise that Sicily will only be around or at his PEAK for the next 3-4 yrs. By your strategy we will then have to draft a replacement for Sicily and wait another 4 years and then just pray we have picked the right one.

We cannot convince a player or the players management that we are on the right path.

Yes I am impatient but I have seen this train wreck before. At the moment we cannot close a deal. We are not attractive enough. We might have a good young coach with a sound vision but it is not enough. NEVER is, NEVER will be.
Give it 12 months it will change with more wins on the board in 2024.

This will be better for us in the long run. Lets not overpay a guy who hasn't torn it up anytime at all for any sustained period in 6 years. Good luck if you want to pay him that much for that long but we should be able to get the same output for a lot less (Gardiner at Bris comes to mind). In the meantime we keep building gradually and hopefully get someone of real talent in the future.

In my opinion, we have dodged an $800k per year bullet that would have seen a strain put on our cap space in a few years when we have the best team in the AFL and our players are signing at higher rates. Ben McKay would have been a welcome addition, but I am happy we haven't brought in a player who wasn't fully convinced by our vision and would have taken a big contract to convince. What options do we have now? I don't know. I hope we get Will McCabe in through the draft and Jai Serong can have a big offseason, but we may well have to play Frostball for one more year.

It's money. Plain and simple. Look at our play. We're an up and coming side that looks bloody good.

We're attractive and primed for a tilt.

We're doing this on a shoestring budget with shrewd picks and a great support staff.

It'll come back in spades. I'm 1000% confident that 2024 is the year

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back