Moore
JOS
Ramsden
Chad
Ginnivan
Watson*
Chol*
Gunston*

I've included Greene for now but I think it's likely he won't be retained.

Who from this list do we expect to be part of our next premiership? Assuming we draft Watson, we'd assume he and Lewis are the only locks. I personally expect DGB to have a breakout year this year and make the 3rd tall spot his own. Hopefully Ginni too if he comes on like we hope.

The rest are speculative or will likely be retired by our next tilt. Lots of work still to go, but a couple of key pieces are there.
FF: Watson - Lewis - Ginnivan
HF: Moore - Ramsden - Bruest

I could open myself up here but has there ever been a player that has kicked 40 goals in a year aged under 21 that ended up being a poor footballer? (obviously excluding injury)

I cant think of any....
Goals I can’t think of but plenty of players have peaked early and had 1 or 2 good years before fading into obscurity.

And then when he played showed he was a level or two above Ginnivan at his best. Then backed it up year after year.

Where Ginnivan regressed drastically after that 1 year. Where his only good stat was his goals.

It’s incredibly optimistic to even begin to put the start of Breust’s and Ginnivan’s careers in the same category.
Why are you putting a limit of what a 20 year old can reach?

I'm just wondering what Bris have seen in Ryan that we may have not. I get he's 25 and we picked him up in the midseason draft and a F2 (let's be honest, it'll be closer to the third round after comp picks and freebies etc. and Collingwood being top 4) isn't to be sneezed at but what are we missing?
Daly said on Trade Radio they were keen on him in MSD and did a lot of work on him just didnt end up having a pick. I am assuming that would mean they were keen then saw him at AFL level and it justified it and then when Jack Said he wanted to come back it gave them their chance

Would love to see Hawks try and sweeten it and get their f1 knowing that they will trade it next year with Ashcroft coming in anyway.

Cant see it happening but geez would enjoy
We have significantly weakened our 2024 draft hand but the Ryan deal and Ashcroft presents an opportunity to actually strengthen it where it really matters. Lions f1, Gunston for Ryan,pies f2.
Kozi for 41 or f3 depending on view of need for points
Chol 62,66,71,74 for 39,54
If we take 41 that’s the equivalent of pick 8 for matching McCabe and dear. If f3 it’s more like pick 16.
Leaves us with no f2 and f3 if we take 41 but 2 f1s. To trade f1 we would need to find an f2 but that wouldn’t be hard with future picks players etc next year. Dees do that every year kick the can down the road very smart value now over future.

Where Ginnivan regressed drastically after that 1 year. Where his only good stat was his goals.

It’s incredibly optimistic to even begin to put the start of Breust’s and Ginnivan’s careers in the same category.

His 20 years old! Many a player has had a down year

He also had the ducking and powder issues which for a 20 year old man, would of had a huge impact on his output

Luke’s first year is the year he turned 21 which is this year for Ginnvan. And in his first year performed well above what Ginnivan did this year before taking it up a notch the year after.

For Ginnivan to track the same as Breust he’s going to need to have an incredible year next year.
Maybe we just need Ginnavin to earn his spot (as he should he's a 2023 premiership player), settle in and play regular footy with a view to contributing to 6 score involvements, 3 tackles and hopefully 1.5 - 2 goals per game, if that ends up his role.

Breust had the luxury of debuting in 2011 when we were playing finals / PFs / GFs / premierships in his 7 of his first 8 senior seasons in a side which dominated that period. He's an apple, Ginnavin is an orange. Why the need to compare?

I could open myself up here but has there ever been a player that has kicked 40 goals in a year aged under 21 that ended up being a poor footballer? (obviously excluding injury)

I cant think of any....

Thought I found one. Don't know why I remember him but Ben McKinley from the Eagles kicked 42 goals in 2008 however he had just turned 21 at the start of the year. He was a Rising Star Nominee and their Leading Goalkicker in 2008. Never did much after and was out of the system about 3 years later.

Breust came on as sub so many times in his first year and had such an impact, hit the scoreboard every time i think
7 out of 17 games he was the sub or subbed off. Still averaged 1.8 goals a game.

Just been incredible since his first game.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I cant think of any....
Not sure if he kicked 40 but jaiden Stephenson looked like he could be anything early and hasn't really come on

Just clocked off work and arrived at Waverley. Lots of fans and media are gathering, huge buzz and great atmosphere around the place. I sense a big few hours coming up trade wise.

JT2_9711-COPY.jpg
Screen Shot 2023-10-18 at 4.24.44 pm.png
I am here too and the sense of excitement is palpable

I cant think of any....
Ummm, can't think of 40 goals specifically but Jaidyn Stephenson kicked 38 in his debut year and hasn't come close since.

Ben Ronke was a forward in the 22 under 22 in his debut season too. Kicked 8 against us.

2022’s forward line was better if not equal with what we will be putting out next year.

2022 looked like this
Moore-Kosi-Wings
Gunston-Lewis-Breust

We are hoping a VFL level player, a fairly cooked Gunston and a fringe best 22 forward who can kick a goal but refuses to do anything defensive will lead us up the ladder.

Sure if we got Chol and Ginnivan motivated and focussed they can put in some good performances. Still a long way off the forward line we need to be
Goals I can’t think of but plenty of players have peaked early and had 1 or 2 good years before fading into obscurity.
North had a guy called McAdam who I recall burst in the scene and kicked a heap of goals in his debut year and then faded out.

But I still like this trade as it isn’t costing too much and the kid has potential… I think we all have to sit tight and just see what happens.

F8sdT5KbQAAA9Uo

Ginnivan h8ers can stuff it.

He will be a superSTAR at the Hawkies, was made for it.

Bit of guidance from our vets, particularly Breust, and Sammy keeping him in line, it's rare you will come across a small forward prior to the age of 21 kicking 40+ goals in a season.

Perfect replacement for Brockman (considering Wingard is out too).

Up the Ginni!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back