Ultimate Glory 2023 Trade speculation and Shinbeggars discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Would 2 + 14-16 or wherever PA finish be enough for 1 or would it need to be 2 + 3 with something coming back?

1. NM - Reid
2. WCE - Curtin
3. GCS - Walter
4. NM - McKercher
5. HAW - Duursma

Once you take into account the McKay compensation + 3 academy bids + 2 father sons & Sanders likely being handed to the Roos that is 7 selections so that pick 14 suddenly becomes pick 21.

I don't think pick 21 in essence would be enough to move down from pick 1.

Once you take into account the McKay compensation + 3 academy bids + 2 father sons & Sanders likely being handed to the Roos that is 7 selections so that pick 14 suddenly becomes pick 21.

I don't think pick 21 in essence would be enough to move down from pick 1.
Great point. Would have to be 2 + 3 for 1 + 19 + change you'd think.

Draft order probably remains the same as I posted above:

1. NM - Reid
2. WCE - Curtin
3. GCS - Walter
4. WCE - McKercher
5. HAW - Duursma

Meek is in high demand.
If this is true, let’s take a half decent pick and run with it. He is nothing more than a VFL player. Would be happy to go with Ramsden and pick up another average ruck in the PS/supplemental/rookie whichever is cheapest these days. We aren’t challenging next year anyway.

Last edited:
Then trade him next year. We will get the same then.
But will we?

These clubs looking at Meek will fill the holes with others if they can. The risk is that we miss the market.

Meek played 16 AFL games this year. He played 15 in five years at Freo. He would not be unhappy with that. We only have two AFL ready ready ruckman on our list. It would be idiotic to trade him.

Firstly, I didn’t say we should trade him. I’m more than ok with us holding onto him because Reeves has a history of injuries.

With that said…do you think he will be playing 16 games next year? I don’t.

Meek is a much better ruckman than Ramsden but offers little in dual role flexibility needed from first team number 2 ruckman. Ultimately this will make him the backup ruckman sitting at box hill most of next year.

By the end of 2024 it won’t be the Hawks choice, it will be Meeks choice, and he can decide to leave for nothing in return.

I'll preface this by saying that this is peak silly season behaviour and I'm going delirious with a lack of rumours so don't take this too seriously.

Day & Moore have both followed Josh Rotham from WCE in the past couple days. 193cm KPD, will be 26 next season. Looks ready made, stats are below. RFA end of next year, he shouldn't cost much.

Have had a look at the WCE board and there are whispers he could be part of the "disgruntled youth" at the club. They actually reckon he's alright, no real gripes for a KPD generally is a good indicator of ability.

Perhaps part of Brocky deal?

1694482858583.png

2 rucks did not work well with our game style and other clubs experienced the same thing this year. The game is going through a one pure ruck per team phase.

At the moment Reeves is better than Meek. I wasn’t impressed by Meek’s first season with us. If a club offered something that sees us profit from the deal compared to last year’s trade to get him in, it could make sense. It would leave us exposed if Reeves got injured so the deal would need to be favourable even if he is not seen as a likely best 22 player

There are clubs in immediate premiership contention who are jostling for rucks

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We need draft capital for what we want to achieve
A lot to play out here, i had a crack with a calculator to attempt to work out some numbers that MM and co would be working on to score GCS pick and maximize our draft hand with who to trade and how much we could get. Gave me such anxiety and a headache too boot, I had to lie down with a scotch and coke and put on the replay of the pies game. :oops:

Then trade him next year. We will get the same then.
If Ramsden becomes our clear 2nd ruck next year then clubs won’t pony up for a 3rd ruck, if we are going to get anything for him it would be this year
I'll preface this by saying that this is peak silly season behaviour and I'm going delirious with a lack of rumours so don't take this too seriously.

Day & Moore have both followed Josh Rotham from WCE in the past couple days. 193cm KPD, will be 26 next season. Looks ready made, stats are below. RFA end of next year, he shouldn't cost much.

Have had a look at the WCE board and there are whispers he could be part of the "disgruntled youth" at the club. They actually reckon he's alright, no real gripes for a KPD generally is a good indicator of ability.

View attachment 1800758
I probably see a bit more eagles stuff over here in WA and tbh I’ve been surprised with how little he was used this year. More than handy but stuck behind Barrass and McGovern

A lot to play out here, i had a crack with a calculator to attempt to work out some numbers that MM and co would be working on to score GCS pick and maximize our draft hand with who to trade and how much we could get. Gave me such anxiety and a headache too boot, I had to lie down with a scotch and coke and put on the replay of the pies game. :oops:
MM and his team would have already done that and have multiple different scenarios with different teams.

If Ramsden becomes our clear 2nd ruck next year then clubs won’t pony up for a 3rd ruck, if we are going to get anything for him it would be this year

I probably see a bit more eagles stuff over here in WA and tbh I’ve been surprised with how little he was used this year. More than handy but stuck behind Barrass and McGovern
They will if Meek will be their first ruck.

View attachment 1800758

I have never head of Josh Rotham.

Is that a made up name? I guess all names are made up.

Just on Rotham, he only played 13 games this year but just did some digging and he broke his thumb mid season and fractured his arm in preseason. Combine that to having to compete with Barrass and McGovern as key defenders and probably explains why he only had the 13 games in the spoon winning side. Has shown enough in career to date though if we get him for a cheap pick

After seeing some of Neds second efforts he’d want to put in a big pre season.
Lumbering ruckman are being phased out right now. He needs another cog in his game. Using his height, marking and smashing some packs.
I watched Gawns game on the weekend and it's fair to say Ned is a long, long l, long way off being at that level (that's a high bar to set him but still).

I will say though that one thing I observed the later part of this year is that some of the elite rucks like Gawn and English did struggle to exert their usual influence when playing against Noodle.

My theory is that his sheer size wears the oppo ruckmen down over the course of the game.

So in essence Ned isn't capable of getting 15+ disposals and 6+ marks but neither does the other teams ruck.

So generally we will break even which is an improvement from previous years.

I think trading Meek would be a mistake, we do not want to get caught out like last year when we had no ruckman and were using Howe and Nash as back up to Kosi who is not a ruckman either. Ramsden is not ready for AFL ruck, let him develop into a forward first doing some ruck in the forward line, at the moment he is like a goofy giraffe, he will get there though he has the attributes to be a ripper.

Plus, we need to be careful the AFL doesn't change the sub rule (after the trade/draft period as they have a habit of doing this type of thing) and make it a full 5 on the bench. I have heard Mitch say that we'd play 2 rucks without hesitation if there was 5 on the bench not 4 + 1 sub.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back