Ultimate Glory 2023 Trade speculation and Shinbeggars discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
You reckon North is going to take Curtin?

WA clubs are already in his ear, and he’s rated below McKercher and Duursma. Curtin will be there at our pick, and if he’s not we’ll get Duursma or McKercher. All great results.

Worst case scenario, Reid goes to the eagles knowing we were throwing absolutely everything at the eagles to get him. If he wants to come home he’d prefer that to the club who ****ed around with picks in the teens, essentially taking the piss out of the eagles.
Bit tangential and I don’t disagree. So you reckon pick 4 and f1 will get it done? Why?

The thing that has been missed to a large degree is what we did with what we had.

We commenced the trade period in a defensive position with Brockman wanting to leave, specifying his club of choice, out of contract and us having no leverage.

Think about what Sleepy Mark has had to deal with.

1. Brockman wanting to leave, with no contract
2. Ryan being offered a 3-year contract from the Gand Finalists
3. Gold Cost playing hardball with Chol whilst Richmond was lowballing us on Kosi. (Without getting the Chol deal done, we couldn't lose Kosi).
4. 11th hour, Ginnivan becomes available
5. Even later, Gunston nominates us
6. Dodoro being a phallus.

All things considered, we have replaced what we couldn't keep, strengthened the list slightly, and kept the draft picks we need in tact.
I would say Sleepy Mark has done a great job despite adversity.

I see it as a correction, shows some we have some balls after how we were perceived last year.

Risk v reward

Excited to see how it plays out

We traded out 3 forwards as well. 2 of them wanted to go, I get it. I don't see the reasoning with Ryan, a key forward we didn't have to lose. Anyway, enough said. Apparently being disappointed in that trade is killing the vibe.

I hear you and I'm someone that was strong about us not trading him for Gunston when it was first suggested. We also definately need more key forward depth than we have.

However, it's hard to say no when (a) he is offered 3 years and (b) We are offered Gunston AND a 2nd rounder.

This is for a guy that is 26 and 12 months ago was playing suburban footy. He is very skinny and has played a total of 3 games for 4 goals. He is very raw and has so far played 1 good game (3 goals v Pies), 1 average game (8 possessions and a goal) and 1 awful game (subbed out at half time after having 1 handball). In total, he has 18 possessions in his career and 8 of them have been clangers.

I don't think we planned to trade him but we can't match 3 years for such a speculative prospect and the fact we were offered Gunston and a 2nd round pick for a raw and speculative 26 year old mid season draftee with 3 games to his name is hard to turn down (and frankly, quite baffling).

Bit tangential and I don’t disagree. So you reckon pick 4 and f1 will get it done? Why?

I don’t know, but it’s currently the best offer. If they say no, so be it. If they want to move the pick, we’re currently top of the list.

Obviously we believe they are open to it, otherwise we wouldn’t be publicly saying we want it. Only team that could outbid us is north, but they’d have to give 2, and either 3 or their F1 (probably pick 1 2024).

Ignore Twomey saying it’s North or Dees. Our offer is already better than the Dees best possible offer.

We can't trade our F1 now that we don't have Future F3 or F4 can we ?

Sent from my SM-S911B using Tapatalk
For everyone saying we need to find an F3 from somewhere... That could come back to us in the deal from WC. I think the best offer we can physically make is:

Pick 4 + F1 + Pick 47 for Pick 1 + F3 + 58

EDIT: can't give them back Pick 44!
(Or if it's not with WC, whoever it is we trade with just has to give us back a F3)

As good as it would have been to sour the milk in Dodo’s WeetBix, Massi will now not have ever been a delisted free agent. If he becomes a good player and wants to leave in the future, the Hawks will be able to get a pick in return.

This was an investment in the future for minimal capital today.
Important point.

Only need an F3.. rules changed with F4 before this trade period
Ah right. Thought that was effective 2024. Typical AFL with the old change it before it starts in 5 minutes.

Okay, so let's say 4, F1 for 1 and F3 and whatever scrap picks can help them in 2023 draft.

At least we still have currently the best offer for it. Eagles can get Curtin and our F1 if they desire

Sent from my SM-S911B using Tapatalk

I also think we need to highlight the wins by the misses
we didn't get
Ben Mckay
we didn't get
The rat
and we didn't get
Gresham

that's three wins in my book

Overall, Hawks did ok
Disappointed that we gave away Ryan cheaply. At the very least without a pre- season we know he can mark and kick a goal at AFL level. Still young and just entering his prime.
I have a feeling this will come back and bite us on the arse. Hope to be proven wrong.

Ryan is 26 in a couple of weeks, born same year as Chol. If you want to see what the difference between the 2 is go and watch the GCS BHH VFL prelim from a few weeks ago, you won't be as disappointed. :)

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

With what assets lol?

If they knocked back 4 + F1 + Brocky I'm not quite sure subtracting Brockman from that deal makes it more enticing.

It doesn't need to. If Norf refuse to trade picks 2&3, our revised offer still trumps all others.

See above

It doesn't need to. If Norf refuse to trade picks 2&3, our revised offer still trumps all others.

See above
Trumping all offers doesn’t get us pick 1. They can keep it. I reckon WCE have entertained offers but would only take something way overs. We haven’t got that and not sure we would offer it anyway. Of course, hope we land pick 1, buts its hope.

Why did we give anything up for Mass? What the *? Or why is the future 4th attached? Jesus.
Okay, I’ve been to the toilet, listened to MM and let it sink in, I’m not upset anymore. The picks will be near useless… unless they find a gem with them, then it’s back to the pitchforks and torches!

Our forward line was our biggest weakness and we have undoubtedly strengthened it this trade period, and that's without moving on any of our midfielders to do it. That's a big plus.

I'm surprised we didn't trade Meek though TBH. We may have got a decent pick (2nd or 3rd rounder).
I don’t understand why anyone would think about trading Meek. He is the 2nd best ruckman at the club with daylight to the 3rd best in Chol.

Rama is several years away from being good (read heavy and strong) enough to play 1st ruck. And I think he will be better honed to the fwd / ruck role.
Clay Tucker looks to have skills but is even further off. Clay is the definition of a long term project.

Meek is the type of guy that will continue to improve. He tries things people say he shouldn’t because he is a big man. But if those things start to work he will become awesome.

Meek is essential to our list. If Reeves goes down or stagnates in his development, Meek will be there to take his spot.

Trade Meek for a late 2nd… no thanks.

Last edited:
I hear you and I'm someone that was strong about us not trading him for Gunston when it was first suggested. We also definately need more key forward depth than we have.

However, it's hard to say no when (a) he is offered 3 years and (b) We are offered Gunston AND a 2nd rounder.

This is for a guy that is 26 and 12 months ago was playing suburban footy. He is very skinny and has played a total of 3 games for 4 goals. He is very raw and has so far played 1 good game (3 goals v Pies), 1 average game (8 possessions and a goal) and 1 awful game (subbed out at half time after having 1 handball). In total, he has 18 possessions in his career and 8 of them have been clangers.

I don't think we planned to trade him but we can't match 3 years for such a speculative prospect and the fact we were offered Gunston and a 2nd round pick for a raw and speculative 26 year old mid season draftee with 3 games to his name is hard to turn down (and frankly, quite baffling).
Agree. We need to remember too that the club gave Ramma two years but only offered Ryan one. Suggests that they are unsure of his potential. Given we brought in Chol, Ryan was probably shaping as depth anyway even if we could have kept him after we got Mabior. To get a second rounder for a player who might well not get a game is too good to pass up. The chances of someone who got picked up in the midseason draft at 25 turning out to be worth more than a second round pick are pretty remote I think.

Our forward line was our biggest weakness and we have undoubtedly strengthened it this trade period, and that's without moving on any of our midfielders to do it. That's a big plus.

I'm surprised we didn't trade Meek though TBH. We may have got a decent pick (2nd or 3rd rounder).
Not worth the risk of being without a main ruck were Ned to miss games, which is not improbable.

Overall C

Picked up fringe players in their respective sides and coughed up a F2 for Chol which is overs.

The ball is now in Ginni’s court to work his ass off over the summer & earn the respect of everyone around the club and show how much he wants it. Talented yes, off field problems yes. Big risk and reward similar to Garlett

Overall C

Picked up fringe players in their respective sides and coughed up a F2 for Chol which is overs.

The ball is now in Ginni’s court to work his arse off over the summer & earn the respect of everyone around the club and show how much he wants it. Talented yes, off field problems yes. Big risk and reward similar to Garlett
Comparing him to an actual drug addicted criminal is pretty harsh.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back