Ultimate Glory 2023 Trade speculation and Shinbeggars discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow Bonar is only 24, I could have sworn he was around 27.
Think I'd rather have kept Long than get Bonar in
Longs game was never going to translate well to the seniors. Problem is, he's a midfielder only and there's too many midfielders coming through that will continue to surpass him.

i think it was a productive trade week, boosted our forward line

Jack Gunston - good to have him back, gun forward and good bloke

Mabior Chol - i loved what he did at Richmond, didnt see him much at GCS, but apparently killed it last year, underused for GCS this year imo, great get, athletic tall who can evade and kicks beautifully at goal, perfect KPF who can actually ruck at a good level too

Jack Ginnivan - has a record early in his career up there with Luke Breust, Tom Papley, Charlie Cameron ect, lets hope it continues and he's only 20, exciting to see him in the f50

Massimo D'Ambrosio - clever hff, connecting between midfield and i50, hitting the big boys on a lead, will probably start as a fringe player and we're hoping he develops from there

Lost Brockman who should be a good player at WCE, Ryan looks like he could be a good KPF, but getting a f2 to get the Chol deal over the line was too good an offer and Kosi was a decent 2nd option, but i believe Chol will be an upgrade.

Last edited:
Longs game was never going to translate well to the seniors. Problem is, he's a midfielder only and there's too many midfielders coming through that will continue to surpass him.
Bonar is also not anything other than a mid. Just because North tried playing him as a KPD doesn't mean he is remotely close to one

I really like Blake Coleman from Brisbane (not to be confused with Kiddy). Recently delisted and think he’d have upside as a small forward option.
I proposed that as part of the Gunston-Ryan trade but it was unlikely and didn't eventuate. But I agree, could be a zippy small forward option to bring some speed & tackle pressure at ground level at least.

Why do some people think an early bid for McCabe is on the cards? I haven’t seen a draft board rate him higher than 15. I think if dees offer 6,11 and anything else future you have to strongly consider it we still have gaps.
Also I’m still a massive fan of a Darcy Wilson think he’s a perfect fit for our right wing spot. Gets low 20s kicks goals every game can mark overhead and what about his combine result? 2nd in 2km trial, top 10 agility and standing jump and won running vertical jump. Think he could be an absolute star and damaging and we need more impactful players by foot.

Why do some people think an early bid for McCabe is on the cards? I haven’t seen a draft board rate him higher than 15. I think if dees offer 6,11 and anything else future you have to strongly consider it we still have gaps.
Also I’m still a massive fan of a Darcy Wilson think he’s a perfect fit for our right wing spot. Gets low 20s kicks goals every game can mark overhead and what about his combine result? 2nd in 2km trial, top 10 agility and standing jump and won running vertical jump. Think he could be an absolute star and damaging and we need more impactful players by foot.
1 - I think McCabe is overrated tbh. He'll take time to develop as well until we can see his full potential on display.
2 - If we got 6, 11, plus a sweetener of some sort, I wouldn't be too mad if we did it but I do think the academy players really push the later picks out far and there is a fall in talent after the highest picks. If we do, we could take Caddy at 6 and Murphy 11 and fill in KPP stocks at either end.
3 - Massimo is our Darcy Wilson. With the limited picks we have (especially with the bids we may match), it would be foolish to draft small players unless they're too good to pass on. I doubt we'd have a pick where we could choose Wilson.

1 - I think McCabe is overrated tbh. He'll take time to develop as well until we can see his full potential on display.
2 - If we got 6, 11, plus a sweetener of some sort, I wouldn't be too mad if we did it but I do think the academy players really push the later picks out far and there is a fall in talent after the highest picks. If we do, we could take Caddy at 6 and Murphy 11 and fill in KPP stocks at either end.
3 - Massimo is our Darcy Wilson. With the limited picks we have (especially with the bids we may match), it would be foolish to draft small players unless they're too good to pass on. I doubt we'd have a pick where we could choose Wilson.
If picks stay as is, I expect the order to go
Reid
Mckercher
Duursma
Leaving us with Watson or Curtin.
If dees knock and say 6,11,f3(dogs) for pick 4, would we do it? What if you knew dogs wouldn’t take Curtin at 5 given KP prospects. Curtin and Wilson or Murphy plus f3 allowing us to trade f1 would have to be mighty tempting.

If picks stay as is, I expect the order to go
Reid
Mckercher
Duursma
Leaving us with Watson or Curtin.
If dees knock and say 6,11,f3(dogs) for pick 4, would we do it? What if you knew dogs wouldn’t take Curtin at 5 given KP prospects. Curtin and Wilson or Murphy plus f3 allowing us to trade f1 would have to be mighty tempting.

I’d want Melbourne’s F1

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Apparently they've been aware of it for a few weeks and traded for him anyway.

You can spin this in a couple of directions.

The first is that Pig's Arse have great confidence in the well put together group they have, and Hollands will be turned around if he buys into what the club wants from him.

The second is, there are so many players on every list doing coke that it's not seen as much of a big deal.

Mix of both even a possibility.

Ginnivan for basically a couple of second round pick slides in 2023 and 2024 is good business.
Pick slide this year irrelevant due to McCabe
Points is all we care about.
It's really only one pick slide next year in round 2. And a slide from pick 55 to 70 as well in 2024 which is pretty much throwing darts that far out

Feels the wrong time to be topping up.

We paid reasonably full prices for players traded in (including just throwing away picks for Massimo) and got f-all for Kosi and brockman (particularly in comparison to what other players were traded for)

We’ve nuked next years draft hand and not much left after McCabe - we’re not really hitting draft this year or next unless there’s some decent players traded out in 2024.

We’ll know pretty early on if ginnivan and Chol will be successes. Lot of pressure now created on club to improve in 2024.

Bonar is also not anything other than a mid. Just because North tried playing him as a KPD doesn't mean he is remotely close to one
He averages 9.67 touches and 2 tackles per game.

Ever since he got drafted as a 1st rd “wildcard” with “weapons” - I’ve been scratching my head as to what GWS and North saw in him.

Just doesn’t get involved enough. About to turn 25. Hasn’t even played a game where he looked like he could be a decent AFL player.

Pretty clear second tier footy is his ceiling.

Plenty of younger kids with more potential available

Feels the wrong time to be topping up.

We paid reasonably full prices for players traded in (including just throwing away picks for Massimo) and got f-all for Kosi and brockman (particularly in comparison to what other players were traded for)

We’ve nuked next years draft hand and not much left after McCabe - we’re not really hitting draft this year or next unless there’s some decent players traded out in 2024.

We’ll know pretty early on if ginnivan and Chol will be successes. Lot of pressure now created on club to improve in 2024.

Weird take.

Koschitzke was never going to be worth much. An extremely underwhelming two years and dropped by one of the worst forward-lines in the game. We could have pushed for a bit more but 41 vs 49...eh.

Brockman we had 0 leverage. Nominated WCE, refused to entertain Fremantle, out of contract, with threat of the PSD. Getting two picks was the best of a bad situation.

The pick we threw Essendon for Massimo we literally couldn't use because we didn't have the list spots, and I'm not sure it's worth losing sleep about a future fourth tied to Collingwood. You could argue we could have given them 63 but a difference of 22 points is so marginal I don't think it will ever matter.

"Not really hitting the draft this year." We're set to bring in a top 5 pick, pick up another first rounder in McCabe and a later forward prospect in Dear. That seems fairly good to me in a draft that has been widely criticised for its lack of depth.

I wouldn't go as far as to say we nuked our draft hand in 2024. We retained our first which is important. Our second slides back around 15 spots for a proven small forward, and if we improve and Collingwood don't go B2B it's less. Third and fourth round picks can be useful but are usually fairly inconsequential. Plus pick purchasing may be added next year.

I also fail to see how bringing in Ginnivan and Chol adds pressure to the club. Is it seen as a top up when one player is a clear improvement and the other is a 21 year old positional need?

Teams that bid on McCabe in the first round only strengthens the hawks in future trade seasons. We would have a total of 4 first round picks in 2 years, this allows us to trade 1st rounders for multiple years .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back