Ultimate Glory 2023 Trade speculation and Shinbeggars discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have landed there too. I don’t for a second think Watson will ever be an AFL midfielder at his size but we don’t need him to be as we are stacked there. An elite small forward would fit our list needs brilliantly and he will be a fan favourite.

For me it goes:
1. Reid
2. Watson
3. Duursma
4. Colby

At least one will be there. I don’t want Curtin as another WA tall who might or might not be a key defender.
That's been my draft board ever since we went on that couple of game win streak and Reid became a pipe dream. As far as I'm concerned the only thing I'll be disappointed about is that the Wizard will likely miss out on the #33 jersey to Ginni. Cart before the horse and all that but if Hustwaite moves from the #44 into something else then I'd love to see the Wiz in the Rats old number.

Would also love to see the Dogs and Demons swoon over us taking him too as he kicks bags against them.

Feels the wrong time to be topping up.
Your definition of topping up is broken.

Chol is 26. Ginnivan and Mass are 20. Gunston got a 1yr deal.

I think they want picks this year.

Their draft hand this year, beyond pick 1 is pretty average for a team that that needs a complete rebuild and is not even at ground zero. Beyond Brockman they did nothing really to improve their list at trade week.

I’d be pretty livid as a supporter of west coast if they couldn’t turn pick 1 into picks 2+3, or at the very least 2 + 15 + 17.

Im hopeful for us but just can’t see them not ending up working with north.
Agreed. I think all along West Coast's plan has been to use us as a 'break glass in case of emergency' option. I reckon North were hoping that we'd fall totally out of the pick 1 bidding after the trade period to force WC hand but we're still in there with a slight chance to keep North honest.

We paid reasonably full prices for players traded in (including just throwing away picks for Massimo) and got f-all for Kosi and brockman (particularly in comparison to what other players were traded for)

We’ve nuked next years draft hand and not much left after McCabe - we’re not really hitting draft this year or next unless there’s some decent players traded out in 2024.

We’ll know pretty early on if ginnivan and Chol will be successes. Lot of pressure now created on club to improve in 2024.
We've still got a first and second rounder not sure how that's nuking our draft hand. We're picking up 2 first round picks this year and will add another top ten pick next year.

We got **** all for Kosi because he was close to being delisted, lucky we got anything.

The picks we traded for Massimo we couldn't use in the draft anyway, he was free.

We traded in a small forward who can play for the next decade and a bit and a KP who can hold down a spot for 6 years. We improved our list while still keeping important picks. They only player we lost that we wanted to keep was Brockman and we upgraded him to Ginnivan.

Your definition of topping up is broken.

Chol is 26. Ginnivan and Mass are 20. Gunston got a 1yr deal.
Yep. My definition of topping up is adding the final pieces to the puzzle whereas what we did was structure up our unbalanced list. Topping up IMO will be when we look to add a FA on a 6-7 year (mill per season) thumper contract.

ITK and thinks we drafted Josh Kennedy at Pick 4 🤷‍♂️ Do ITK’s sometimes work for the club but not have a history of supporting? Genuine question as I’m not sure how it works
There's quite a few on here who claim to be ITK. Often spout theories that rarely eventuate unless blatantly obvious and have a strike rate less than a blindfolded dart thrower. There is no way the club would genuinely have an insider spurt out all their trade plans on a forum like this or pass on info to anyone who would. It's just a few who are trying to blend reading the tea leaves, seeing other commentary and putting their own spin on it.

If you want to believe ITK's there is a Nigerian Prince who is looking to get in touch.

Last edited:
Yes, the order would most likely go that way. But if you think about it, who says the Dees won't just take Curtin at 4? If they take Watson, Bulldogs would likely pick someone else let's say Sanders (they don't need Curtin). And then we could get him, but I still reckon Melbourne might try take him at 4 if they can't get Duursma, unless they're really big on Watson.

6 + 11 + F3.. It's a bit early to call that honestly. Like we never know what WCE could do, if North tempt them with Pick 2 and a bunch of first rounders, they may take it. That could disrupt where Curtin ends up. It's hard to make a decision until draft night I'd say.

I think what we should do is just hold our nerve for the moment. Let the draft play out for the top 4. We should keep in mind though what our plan of attack is if WCE do trade Pick 1. And what our plan is if we get the Melbourne offer somehow. Plan early, execute late. That's gotta be the way we do this. Let Pick 1 go where it goes, let the Walter bid happen, let Pick 3 & 4 (unless we trade up for one of those) play out as well. Each pick that passes by, whether a trade of picks occurs or not, plan carefully for our options when we're on the clock. When we get on the clock, we could be thrown an offer but it ultimately depends what's on the table after Picks 1 - 4 have been done.

Having said all of that, I think given our list situation, we're unlikely to end up with two first round picks this year. I'll say this again, if McCabe doesn't go as high as people think he will and we're able to conserve one of our picks in the early/mid 40s, I'd love us to push up the board by even about 10 spots to steal one of Morris, Delean, Moir, to really put an exclamation mark on our forward line. If we take Curtin pick 4, we take either Delean or Moir, but if we get Wiz/Duurs/Kolby, pick Logan Morris. If we can get two of those on top of McCabe, this trade/draft period would be a MASSIVE WIN for us!
Hello. Can I ask what hawthorn would offer for pick 16 ( done in a live trade so you could select a player). I think GWS should put it on the table, but i doubt it happens.
Good luck with your pursuit of pick 1.
Could it possibly be a 3 way trade involving GWS.

Because the eagles are considering a trade and have placed a value on it! I don’t think they’re convinced Harley is there man!

So when I am selling it comes down to who’s going to give me the best deal in end.

If the Roo’s don’t cough up 2&3 or 3 and future 1st. It makes our offer the next best in value based on prediction.

Would you risk the demons future first? They a won premiership amongst all the drug related rumour and drama!

There’s a lot of if’s and buts here! How ever the eagles have named their price and our offer is the closest to it at this stage.

Will be an interesting lead up to draft night, if they do trade #1 I suspect it will happen on the night.
Eagles won't trade Pick 1 unless North bend over. No one else has anything great to offer as you've just said with Melbourne. We're like a 0.2% chance if they get fed up with North and still want Curtin over Harley. Our picks aren't the greatest though, so I predict Eagles will hold on to Pick 1. Let's just take the best available with our pick(s)!

Think this hits the nail on the head.. by putting a price on his head they're of the mindset they're selling (or at least considering selling)
Great. Harley ain't taking that! How disrespectful.... After Year 1 at WCE: Harley Reid has requested a trade to return home to VIC

Hello. Can I ask what hawthorn would offer for pick 16 ( done in a live trade so you could select a player). I think GWS should put it on the table, but i doubt it happens.
Can’t see this happening. Our F1 would be way overs, our F2 (Collingwood’s) would be way unders.

Hey, GWS fan!

Well, I assume you're trying to get our Pick 4 with that? Because we (Hawks) have no other assets for that. I think if you're GWS, you're gonna have to cough up a lot for that: Pick 7, Pick 16, F1 for Hawks Pick 4. Some may argue that's not a win for Hawthorn (given Giants should be playing finals next year) but overall it kind of evens out (because Pick 7 could be a quality player).

It's always the case that the current draft's top 5 picks are the most valuable (compared to futures, and Pick 15+) so if you're wanting to use 16 as a bargaining chip to jump up, be prepared to spend other assets as well.

Also I don't see a 3 way trade happening with GWS, sorry. Unless you give us Pick 7 for our F1 (which I don't know why you would), I don't think it's enough to satisfy WCE end of the deal.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We paid reasonably full prices for players traded in (including just throwing away picks for Massimo) and got f-all for Kosi and brockman (particularly in comparison to what other players were traded for)

We’ve nuked next years draft hand and not much left after McCabe - we’re not really hitting draft this year or next unless there’s some decent players traded out in 2024.

We’ll know pretty early on if ginnivan and Chol will be successes. Lot of pressure now created on club to improve in 2024.
That's a very strange interpretation of what we did.

Lost Kosi, got Chol
Lost 20 yo Brockman, got 20 yr old Ginnivan
Lost 25 yo Bramble, picked up 20 yo D'Ambrossio.

Gunners is the only pick that breaks from the strategy, but we certainly didn't bring him in with the idea of 'topping up' for a flag tilt; it is about guidance and influence and example for a short period...remembering, we didn't want him to go in the first place...

Got way more draft points this year for 2 potential FS picks, at the cost of a 2nd round pick next year.

I don't think anyone in their right mind would interpret this as topping up. As for 'nuking next years draft hand" ...come on now

Last edited:
Our chance at pick one was gone the minute the corrupt fools at AFL house handed the Shinbeggars pick three for a potato.

Pick four cannot guarantee that WCE get Curtain. Pick three wasn't even necessarily a guarantee.

I'd dearly love Reid but we're not one player away from heading to the promised land that makes selling our short term build future worth what we'd have to give up.

I would make an offer for pick 16 in these 2 scenarios and it is for a swap of F1's + swap of F2's( we hold Pies F2)

1. right after pick 15 is made or
2. if MCabe has been bid on prior, right after.

I would offer the above trade for every pick after our pick 4 as well and if a club bites, they bite. The F2 swap will be required only for clubs likely to play finals.

If McCabe has been bid on, your pick 43 will be of interest as well instead of swap of F2's

PS : expect GWS to make finals and we are likely to be in the 10-14 range. Injuries and we are bottom 4, we get lucky, we may just miss finals.

Your club's draft picks after the 2023 Trade Period

Adelaide: 10, 14, 20, 89
Brisbane: 30, 39, 51, 54, 67, 97
Carlton: 22, 28, 70, 78, 96
Collingwood: 19, 33, 80, 98
Essendon: 9, 31, 35, 61, 88
Fremantle: 34, 46, 60, 64, 85
Geelong: 8, 25, 76, 87, 94
Gold Coast: 24, 26, 27, 32, 36, 38, 66, 71, 74, 84
Greater Western Sydney: 7, 16, 43, 59, 77, 79, 95
Hawthorn: 4, 44, 47, 49, 62, 63, 83
Melbourne: 6, 11, 42, 93
North Melbourne: 2, 3, 15, 17, 18, 57, 82
Port Adelaide: 73
Richmond: 29, 41, 65, 68, 86
St Kilda: 13, 21, 40, 92
Sydney: 12, 45, 55, 91
West Coast: 1, 23, 37, 58, 81
Western Bulldogs: 5, 48, 50, 52, 53, 56, 69, 72, 75, 90

the 2024 picks in club order is in image
1697635120951-png.1835051

There was no topping up whatsoever.

We lost Kosi and Brocky and replaced them with Chol and Ginnivan.

Massimo replaces Bramble.

Remember when half back DFA Ricky Henderson made no sense?
Cool, a success story of a player picked up as a FA.
Remember picking up FA Ty Vickery?

Our need is not for half back flankers with our current squad depth in that area, especially with CJ missing this whole year almost. In 2017, we just lost Brad Hill and needed wing and ultimately half back depth (due to injury) desperately. It made sense to get Henderson.

Yes, the order would most likely go that way. But if you think about it, who says the Dees won't just take Curtin at 4? If they take Watson, Bulldogs would likely pick someone else let's say Sanders (they don't need Curtin). And then we could get him, but I still reckon Melbourne might try take him at 4 if they can't get Duursma, unless they're really big on Watson.

6 + 11 + F3.. It's a bit early to call that honestly. Like we never know what WCE could do, if North tempt them with Pick 2 and a bunch of first rounders, they may take it. That could disrupt where Curtin ends up. It's hard to make a decision until draft night I'd say.

I think what we should do is just hold our nerve for the moment. Let the draft play out for the top 4. We should keep in mind though what our plan of attack is if WCE do trade Pick 1. And what our plan is if we get the Melbourne offer somehow. Plan early, execute late. That's gotta be the way we do this. Let Pick 1 go where it goes, let the Walter bid happen, let Pick 3 & 4 (unless we trade up for one of those) play out as well. Each pick that passes by, whether a trade of picks occurs or not, plan carefully for our options when we're on the clock. When we get on the clock, we could be thrown an offer but it ultimately depends what's on the table after Picks 1 - 4 have been done.

Having said all of that, I think given our list situation, we're unlikely to end up with two first round picks this year. I'll say this again, if McCabe doesn't go as high as people think he will and we're able to conserve one of our picks in the early/mid 40s, I'd love us to push up the board by even about 10 spots to steal one of Morris, Delean, Moir, to really put an exclamation mark on our forward line. If we take Curtin pick 4, we take either Delean or Moir, but if we get Wiz/Duurs/Kolby, pick Logan Morris. If we can get two of those on top of McCabe, this trade/draft period would be a MASSIVE WIN for us!
Yes only a live trade once things are clear unless someone loses their mind prior and offers a stupid Deal.

There's quite a few on here who claim to be ITK. Often spout theories that rarely eventuate and have a strike rate less than a blindfolded dart thrower. There is no way the club would genuinely have an insider spurt out all their trade plans on a forum like this or pass on info to anyone who would. It's just a few who are trying to blend reading the tea leaves, seeing other commentary and putting their own spin on it.

If you want to believe ITK's there is a Nigerian Prince who is looking to get in touch.
Yes, all you need to do is deposit $500 into my account and I'll be able to release the $500K. You'll be rich!

For the record, I'm not at work so was scouring those picks on TheRoar so when I saw J Kennedy i thought it was ours without checking.
But believe what you want. No harm.

Other than Reid, I don't know much about the the draftees. It's all a speculative pick anyway until they pull up a jumper for a senior AFL game and keep that form for the majority of the year.

But if was a choice between Watson or Duursma- I would take the bigger, taller player everytime (unless he was Cyril, a generational player)

Yes, all you need to do is deposit $500 into my account and I'll be able to release the $500K. You'll be rich!

For the record, I'm not at work so was scouring those picks on TheRoar so when I saw J Kennedy i thought it was ours without checking.
But believe what you want. No harm.
Ignore the spuds, thoroughly enjoying your input KL, especially with RnL MIA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back