List Mgmt. 2023 Trade Thread - Part I

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
It seems we are taking the free list spot into the season since Eyre wasnt offerred a spot. Hopefully we can find someone throughout the year to be taken in MSD.
Good move. With the amount of injuries we have at the start of the season and the harder draw we will probably be in a good position to nab someone decent.

Central Rookie summary

Anthony Caminiti​

Height: 196cm
Weight: 83kg
D.O.B: 09-12-2003
Leagues: NAB League Boys
POSITION: Tall Forward

SNAPSHOT: "A mobile tall forward who shot on the scene this season, showcasing sound overhead marking and shrewd leading patterns.

The Northern Knights were stoked to bring Anthony Caminiti into their program this year, and it was easy to easy why after his five-goal NAB League debut in May. The athletic key forward slotted into Northern's front six when Carey Grammar had a bye during the APS season, and did enough over both competitions to that point to be a late inclusion in June's Victorian representative trials. With more promising form, he earned a draft combine invite and looms as a tall prospect with high upside among this year's cohort.

STRENGTHS:
  • Mobility
  • Leading Patterns
  • Overhead Marking
  • Clean Hands
  • Scoreboard Impact

IMPROVEMENTS:
  • Strength
  • Exposure

Caminiti was a difficult player to deny given his goalkicking record in the APS competition, and he took full toll once given an opportunity in the NAB League. His five-goal debut for Northern stamped his status as a consistent scoring option, having strung together several multiple-goal games for Carey Grammar. At APS season's end, he was named in the competition's Merit Team for 2021.

As a mobile type of tall talent, Caminiti is quick off the mark and constantly gets separation on the lead. His mix of athleticism and smarts makes for some really promising attacking play, as Caminiti reacts first to the flow of play and can begin moving into the right space before the kicker makes a decision. With good delivery, he can be really dangerous.

The other factor on the end of Caminiti's leading patterns is his overhead marking. He showed many times when operating as a lead-up option further afield for Northern, that he could reach higher than his opponents and cleanly clunk aerial balls. With a bit more strength and size on his 83kg frame, Caminiti could even clunk more contested marks while AFL-level defenders match him for athleticism and smarts.

Caminiti's clean hands extend further than his marking too. With good movement for his size, the 196cm talent is comfortable on the ball and looks to move it on quickly to runners passing by. He is able to contribute at ground level with composure and often proves quite unselfish inside 50, creating opportunities for others by hand and foot.

One question mark over Caminiti's ability to make the next step may be his exposure to high levels of football. He played six game's in Victoria's leading school football competition this year, but only three at NAB League level. Five of his six NAB League goals came in one game and he could not quite find the goals in his Victorian trial dig. His movement further afield may be a factor, but Caminiti certainly found his best goalkicking form in the APS.

DRAFT PROJECTION: Late/Rookie

SUMMARY:
In a draft crop dominated by midfielders, clubs may be more willing to take chances on developing talls a little higher up the order. In Caminiti's case, he'd be an ideal late-round or rookie option given his upside and rate of development, with exciting traits which can be enhanced at the next level. He is mobile and comfortable in possession, adding a bit of dynamism to go with his goalkicking and marking ability.

Central Rookie summary

Anthony Caminiti​

SNAPSHOT: "A mobile tall forward who shot on the scene this season, showcasing sound overhead marking and shrewd leading patterns.

The Northern Knights were stoked to bring Anthony Caminiti into their program this year, and it was easy to easy why after his five-goal NAB League debut in May. The athletic key forward slotted into Northern's front six when Carey Grammar had a bye during the APS season, and did enough over both competitions to that point to be a late inclusion in June's Victorian representative trials. With more promising form, he earned a draft combine invite and looms as a tall prospect with high upside among this year's cohort.

STRENGTHS:
  • Mobility
  • Leading Patterns
  • Overhead Marking
  • Clean Hands
  • Scoreboard Impact

IMPROVEMENTS:
  • Strength
  • Exposure

Caminiti was a difficult player to deny given his goalkicking record in the APS competition, and he took full toll once given an opportunity in the NAB League. His five-goal debut for Northern stamped his status as a consistent scoring option, having strung together several multiple-goal games for Carey Grammar. At APS season's end, he was named in the competition's Merit Team for 2021.

As a mobile type of tall talent, Caminiti is quick off the mark and constantly gets separation on the lead. His mix of athleticism and smarts makes for some really promising attacking play, as Caminiti reacts first to the flow of play and can begin moving into the right space before the kicker makes a decision. With good delivery, he can be really dangerous.

The other factor on the end of Caminiti's leading patterns is his overhead marking. He showed many times when operating as a lead-up option further afield for Northern, that he could reach higher than his opponents and cleanly clunk aerial balls. With a bit more strength and size on his 83kg frame, Caminiti could even clunk more contested marks while AFL-level defenders match him for athleticism and smarts.

Caminiti's clean hands extend further than his marking too. With good movement for his size, the 196cm talent is comfortable on the ball and looks to move it on quickly to runners passing by. He is able to contribute at ground level with composure and often proves quite unselfish inside 50, creating opportunities for others by hand and foot.

One question mark over Caminiti's ability to make the next step may be his exposure to high levels of football. He played six game's in Victoria's leading school football competition this year, but only three at NAB League level. Five of his six NAB League goals came in one game and he could not quite find the goals in his Victorian trial dig. His movement further afield may be a factor, but Caminiti certainly found his best goalkicking form in the APS.

SUMMARY:
In a draft crop dominated by midfielders, clubs may be more willing to take chances on developing talls a little higher up the order. In Caminiti's case, he'd be an ideal late-round or rookie option given his upside and rate of development, with exciting traits which can be enhanced at the next level. He is mobile and comfortable in possession, adding a bit of dynamism to go with his goalkicking and marking ability.
sound a bit like Sharman?

Anthony Caminiti’s huge growth spurt put him back on the AFL Draft radar​

Anthony Caminiti represented Victoria as a agile midfielder in under-12s, six years later he’s hoping to be drafted as an imposing key forward.

Ben HigginsBen Higgins
Follow

@ben_higgins84

3 min read
November 23, 2021 - 3:30PM
Heidelberg Leader

0 comments

This is a modal window.

Video not found​

Technical details :
This video was not found

NAB League

Don't miss out on the headlines from NAB League. Followed categories will be added to My News.
Follow
Anthony Caminiti might appear an AFL Draft bolter but he’s no stranger to the elite talent pathway.
Now an imposing 196cm key forward, Caminiti first represented Victoria in under-12s as a midfielder.
He was also represented the state in athletics.
Overlooked for Vic Metro squads in the following few years, a 15cm growth spurt in 2019-20 put him back on AFL recruiters’ radar.
Dominant early season form for Carey Grammar earned the Heidelberg junior an invite to NAB League club Northern Knights and he booted five goals on debut against the Brisbane Lions Academy.
Anthony Caminiti after being selected in the Victoria under-12s in 2015.

Anthony Caminiti after being selected in the Victoria under-12s in 2015.
Caminiti was rushed into the Vic Metro trial games, named in the APS Merit Team and earned a National Draft Combine invite.
He said it felt like a whirlwind but he’d always believed he could play at the highest level.
“In Year 7 I was fortunate enough to represent Victoria, in the school boys team, but I think I’ve been a bit of a late bloomer and took time to develop my game,” he said.
“I used to be a midfielder, I was quite small, but I’ve grown 15cm in the last two years,” Caminiti said.

“I worked really hard during COVID last year, so I had more trust in my game this year, and maybe no one knew the ability I had.
“So, yes, it has come all at once but I’ve always had the belief deep down that I could play at the level.”
Caminiti remembered being shocked when Knights coach Leigh Clarke told him he’d earned a late Vic Metro call-up and hopes recruiters saw enough to hear his name called out on Wednesday or Thursday.
“I wasn’t initially invited, didn’t go to any of the training sessions, and then I rocked up to training at Knights and Clarkey was like ‘do you want to play in the (Vic Metro) game, you’ve been invited’.

HERALDSUN.COM.AU56:08

Full AFL Mock Draft​

UP NEXT
  • 729da8a0ed97de7bf55ce2dbcede5a5b

02:48
    Jim Chalmers is ‘out of touch’: Daniel Wild

• e66fbdb31fdd5632d5998f8f70819769

01:36
    Cate Blanchett thought about retiring from acting as last role was so ...

• d1abd7bff3fb2f21dcec42893a44b77b

01:08
    Harry and Meghan US popularity poll plummets after Spare release

• fallback.jpg

• fallback.jpg

• fallback.jpg

• fallback.jpg

Our talent gurus Jordan Pinto and Dan Batten take turns picking for your club to see how the entire AFL Draft could play out.

“I said ‘of course I want to’ so I went along to the game and no one even knew who I was.
“I wasn’t happy with my game at the time, I felt like if I had the opportunity again I’d do much better, but I think I did show a few glimpses.”
Quick off the mark, Caminiti can create separation from his defender and presents a strong marking target in attack.
Modelling his game on Western Bulldogs star Aaron Naughton, he possesses impressing leaping power, can crash a pack and bring down contested marks.
But if the ball hits the ground his background as a midfielder gives him the ball skills and mobility needed to win the loose ball.
Caminiti used the cancelled 2020 lockdown to improve his fitness, training regularly with a school mate Bede Waters.
It’s an area he believes he needs the most improvement.
“I was lucky enough to have a mate (Waters) who’s pretty dedicated, so we’d go for a run every day, go to the gym a couple of times a week and focus on skills,” he said.
Anthony Caminiti in action for Northern Knights.

Anthony Caminiti in action for Northern Knights.
“My aerobic power is probably my biggest weakness, I really want to work on that (in an AFL system).
“I think I’ve still got a bit more to grow, a little bit vertically, but I also need to bulk up a lot. I’m not the biggest frame.”
Caminiti is expected to be a late to rookie draft pick on Thursday.
The developing key forward has been linked to Melbourne but is happy to go anywhere to live the AFL dream.
Despite being a Hawthorn supporter growing up he watches Naughton closely and received some sage advice from Carey coach Vince Datoli.
“I love the way Aaron Naughton goes about it, the way he attacks the ball in the air,” Caminiti said.
KNIGHTS: BALL MAGNET FLYING UNDER DRAFT RADAR
LEADER: GET YOUR NAB LEAGUE FOOTY NEWS HERE
CANNONS: DRAFT GUN STAYING COOL AMID RED-HOT HYPE

“I try to base my game on his because he’s able to attack the ball in the air but good on the ground as well.
“Vince had a lot of belief I could become a good key forward and his main message was to compete, compete, compete – compete in the air even if you don’t mark the ball.
“He wanted me to show that while I am tall I can play small as well.”
The AFL Draft will be run over two nights with the first-round on Wednesday, November 24, before wrapping up on Thursday night.

Local Footy Newsletter​

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He is a surprising choice for a February train on player. Based on his Nab League form last year, he is a big project player so would be unlikely to cover any of the current forward woes and be someone else to spend the year at Sandy.

Ayer was the same. They are obviously not looking to fill King's spot. Someone like Ethan Phillips would be a way to get a KP for now and send a back to the forward line. They obviously want a long term project though.

Ayer was the same. They are obviously not looking to fill King's spot. Someone like Ethan Phillips would be a way to get a KP for now and send a back to the forward line. They obviously want a long term project though.
I'm a bit surprised as to why we would feel the need to add another long term project, particularly as preseason is coming to a close.

I'm a bit surprised as to why we would feel the need to add another long term project, particularly as preseason is coming to a close.
Maybe it shows us where the club thinks we're at. Also, I don't mind it - there are so many avenues to draft kids now, if you can pull a shady move on a kid turning 19 this year in the preseason who could've been pinched in the midseason draft, and has shown rapid improvement, then it's a cunning move if you think they're a long term prospect.

I'd also add, with talls, it's more their skillset and athleticism which projects their ability, rather than their performance or output (see Allison, Matthew). This kid moves well for a 196cm forward, and a lot of those young midfielders who take on growth spurts have a better athletic profile than the tall lumbering players who have been rucks their entire lives (see English, Timothy).

Football department will need 12 months and I’m glad that’s the approach they are taking for filling the void of a tall.

We won’t be winning the big one this year + 18 clubs have overlooked Phillips. Put games and development into players we feel like will position us to compete.

Don't make me drop the meme again. ;)

He is a surprising choice for a February train on player. Based on his Nab League form last year, he is a big project player so would be unlikely to cover any of the current forward woes and be someone else to spend the year at Sandy.
My only guess is that he is someone Silvagni has rated and thinks he’s worth a punt on

Central Rookie summary

Anthony Caminiti​

STRENGTHS:
  • Mobility
  • Leading Patterns
  • Overhead Marking
  • Clean Hands
  • Scoreboard Impact

IMPROVEMENTS:
  • Strength
  • Exposure

SUMMARY:
I played against his dad who played for balwyn. He was a star

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back