List Mgmt. 2023 Trade Thread - Part I

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
We’ve been raising this idea for a while on here. It makes a lot of sense, but in reality it will never work near as well as it does for Geelong.

Unless we are really flying, players aren’t going to choose us over the likes of Richmond to save themselves a bit of travel in the car.

And in terms of drafting locally, we don’t really have an issue with retaining players. We will always lose the odd interstate player but rarely does a Melbourne based player ask to be traded.

The only one i remember is when Roberton wanted to go home to Franga. Seaford 1, Moorabbin Zero.

Interesting Article in the age today about you guys.

St Kilda will prioritise players from the bayside corridor through to the Mornington Peninsula in the draft and closely monitor and target locals in hope of using their geographic edge in Melbourne’s south as a point of difference to attract players.

The Saints will try to utilise their bayside links to first target, then attract former local players in a way that Geelong have successfully been a destination club for players from the greater Geelong and western Victorian region.
Former local products such as early draft picks Finn Callaghan at Greater Western Sydney or a Josh Sinn at Port Adelaide will be actively monitored and pursued with the hope that the Saints can be the natural first choice for players from the southern bayside area wanting to return home to Victoria.

Recruiting ex-Carlton first-round pick Liam Stocker this off-season fitted that strategy of prioritising former local players.
The Sandringham Dragons under-18 team is based at St Kilda’s Moorabbin home in Linton Street. The Dragons had 12 players drafted in the last year alone.

“Certainly we are turning our mind to bayside as a point of difference. We have a $50 million facility bayside, we have the Sandy Dragons based here, we have the Sandy Zebras here. We have strong relationships with them,” St Kilda CEO Simon Lethlean said.

“If you are on the margins and trying to attract kids to your club or attract those returning to Victoria we want to utilise our point of difference for players from bayside right down through the peninsula. You look at Geelong and what they have been able to do.

“It’s not ‘all in’ and that’s all we are doing, it is one part of an overall strategy, but we think we have a point of difference in the south.

“You have the Sandy Dragons training here, you get to know the players they get to know us. It’s tag and release, you monitor them and hope one day you get them back. Liam Stocker fits the bill of that as a Sandy boy.
“North Melbourne, Carlton, Essendon, they are all on top of each another. We are not, we are bayside ... no other club in Melbourne can do it, we have the whole corridor from here to Portsea.”

Geelong have long been a preferred destination for players originally from the surf coast, Bellarine Peninsula, western district and greater Geelong returning to Victoria, not only because of the location but the highly successful football program.
Most recently first-round draft pick Tanner Bruhn was traded back from GWS to Geelong while star pair Jeremy Cameron and Patrick Dangerfield both chose the Cats when they came back to live in Victoria.

The Cats have had a fondness for local players. Last year they had 17 players originally from Geelong or western Victoria on their list, then chose Jhye Clark, an elite inside midfielder from the Geelong Falcons with pick seven in the draft, and traded for Bruhn and former local player Ollie Henry, brother of Jack, from Collingwood.
The Cats have also successfully utilised their local networks to identify talent. Most significantly they secured All-Australian premiership defender Tom Stewart, a former Geelong Falcon who was playing for Geelong’s VFL team, as a mature-aged recruit in the draft.

Non-Victorian clubs have long prioritised local players to help with player retention and target former locals when it comes to trades.

St Kilda recently announced Stephen Silvagni would return to the club as list manager, reuniting with veteran administrator Graeme Allan who is in talent identification with the club targeting trade targets.

General manager of football Geoff Walsh recently resigned due to family reasons, with his position being shared for the season with high-performance manager David Misson and Tessie McManus.
Better tell SOS this, he's gone for a Northern knights lad.

I agree. But I'd happily take Rachele for NWM if he made a request to go home.
Sorry, but… we have Rachele signed up through to the 2025 season and I believe this is the last year you currently have NWM signed up for.
We could possibly do a deal on supplying you with another Crouch.😉
On a serious note, I’m looking forward to seeing the development of Keeler.

Sorry, but… we have Rachele signed up through to the 2025 season and I believe this is the last year you currently have NWM signed up for.
Ah wasn't aware of that. We'll chuck in Matty Alison too then.

Ah wasn't aware of that. We'll chuck in Matty Alison too then.
Yeah, we managed to convince Josh Rachele and Jake Soligo to sign up for an extra 2 years before they had even played a game. Soligo looks primed for a breakout year with a possible move into the centre. That training under Darren Bewick at Rowville Grammar has set him up nicely for what should be a long and successful career.

In all seriousness, why didn't Adelaide even nominate Keeler considering his potential? Seems strange even if there were concerns around work ethic.

In all seriousness, why didn't Adelaide even nominate Keeler considering his potential? Seems strange even if there were concerns around work ethic.
Yeah, many on the Adelaide BF board queried that (including myself, I think), but the scuttlebut was that it was about work ethic. The lad has a heap of potential and I genuinely wish him the best in achieving it.

Yeah, many on the Adelaide BF board queried that (including myself, I think), but the scuttlebut was that it was about work ethic. The lad has a heap of potential and I genuinely wish him the best in achieving it.
it was literally a free hit though. Surely you'd back your club and staff to get the best out of him and if not then at least you tried. I feel the risk definitely outweighs the reward. Anyway, thankful you guys passed on him and hope he can become Paddy Ryder mark 2

it was literally a free hit though. Surely you'd back your club and staff to get the best out of him and if not then at least you tried. I feel the risk definitely outweighs the reward. Anyway, thankful you guys passed on him and hope he can become Paddy Ryder mark 2
I hear what you’re saying and like many/most clubs, sometimes some of us wish we had more of an insight into the machinations of the list management staff but overall I’m pretty happy with what the Crows achieved in the trade/draft period with the selections we started with.
Also remember, Keeler had been training with the Academy group, so the Crows staff got to see him up close.

I hear what you’re saying and like many/most clubs, sometimes some of us wish we had more of an insight into the machinations of the list management staff but overall I’m pretty happy with what the Crows achieved in the trade/draft period with the selections we started with.
Also remember, Keeler had been training with the Academy group, so the Crows staff got to see him up close.

Our intel suggested that it was the quality of the Crows academy that actually put Keeler off... so he went through the motions there & didn't impress the Crows recruiters as a result.

Meanwhile he changed schools & worked his arse off to get drafted.

Great story if it's true

#suckedincrows

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Our intel suggested that it was the quality of the Crows academy that actually put Keeler off... so he went through the motions there & didn't impress the Crows recruiters as a result.

Great story if it's true

#suckedincrows
Like I said in an earlier post, I genuinely wish him well in achieving his potential and I’m sure we’d welcome him home to South Aussie when he does. 😉

Great story if it's true

#suckedincrows
And.. if you have any doubts about our Academy… keep an eye on the player we did pick out of that group..
Max Michalanney. The training reports are that he’s going really well and if he turns out anything like his father Jim (that I got to see a lot of at Norwood Oval) he’s going to be a bloody champion. I’ll even go out on a limb and predict future All-Australian.

And.. if you have any doubts about our Academy… keep an eye on the player we did pick out of that group..
Max Michalanney. The training reports are that he’s going really well and if he turns out anything like his father Jim (that I got to see a lot of at Norwood Oval) he’s going to be a bloody champion. I’ll even go out on a limb and predict future All-Australian.
Why is Adelaide allowed to pick up father sons from Norwood?

It makes no sense to me, the Crows have been around for 30 years now

Under AFL rules, the Crows can nominate father/sons from certain SANFL clubs that have players who played 200 games prior to Crows forming. We’ve missed quite a few because the fathers didn’t make it to 200 games.
Jim played for Norwood from 1974 to 1986 (4 SANFL premierships and was top goal kicker in 1976).
Not sure how old Jim is but he’s getting on 😉, so I’m not expecting there to be any more from the SANFL (but I could be wrong). Our next father/son is coming shortly from a former Crows player… but I’ll let you work that out for yourself.

Exactly what Yawkey way advocated for
It’s good to see the club finally catching on. The problem is we’ve been flirting with this for decades, southern saints, the move to Seaford and so on. It’s also a belated shot across the bow to our stalkers from glenferrie who would like to stake a claim.

What we really need is to build a side with plenty of locals that contends for a decade and hope like hell that hawthorn screw this rebuild.

Foundation rule still in place - Adelaide can select any player whose father made 200 SANFL appearances prior to 1991 for South Adelaide, Norwood, Glenelg or Sturt. There's similar in place for West Coast (150 WAFL appearances prior to 1987 for Claremont, East Perth, West Perth or Subiaco), Freo (150 WAFL appearances prior to 1995 for East Fremantle, South Fremantle, Perth or Swan Districts) and Port (200 SANFL appearances prior to 1997 for the Port Adelaide Magpies, North Adelaide, West Adelaide, Central District, Woodville or West Torrens).

Think you mean “the reward outweighs the risk”? 🤔

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back