List Mgmt. 2023 Trade Thread - Part II

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Steele turns 28 in a couple of months. Does anybody actually think we’ll be contending in his time here given all the talk is about adding to our first and second year players? It’s worth a discussion if nothing else than for Jack himself to play in prelims and grand finals in his career.
Okay. Let’s say we trade Steele.

Find a club with the currency and genuine trade that works.

Not a lot out there.

I said Melbourne.

It just hit me who Gresh should play like:

Izak Rankine.

There's a guy that does more damage with 15 touches in the front half than a lot of guys do with 30 around the ground.

If Gresh wants to pile on the pressure and just have a ping at the goals every time he's got a yard of space then go for it. Turning him into a 2 goal a game pressure player would be ideal.
That's what he did the first two seasons and he was electric

I’ll probably be killed for this on here but I see the strategy for trading out Steele even though as I said it will either make or break the list.

We aren’t looking to contend for another 3+ years which means Steele would be minimum 31 at that stage. Now 31 isn’t old by any stretch but that’s a year older than Seb Ross is right now.

Who knows what his body and form will be like.

If we get for example pick 4 then we have another chance of getting a potential gun to complement the younger core of King Owens Windy etc..

It’s risky and obviously it depends on drafting well but this is what I’d imagine a club like Port Adelaide will do. Sell high rather than not.

Once again I’m not potting Jack, he’s probably my favourite player on our list but I can see why conversations are being had.
Once again, which potential gun do you think you will get with pick 4.
Not the draft for it.

******* hell.

That would cement us as a bottom 5 side next year in my eyes.

That’s a huge. Absolutely huge call to make
It would have to be a top 5 pick to entertain the idea of Steele. I’m not sure how many clubs would do that deal.

The old adage..you need to offer up something valuable to get something potentially valuable.

David King gave a great insight as to why Marshall can be a liability for our midfield, as much as marshall can be very good around the ground he can be disasterous in the ruck clearance sense
It's really rare to have a ruckman that spoon feeds a midfield though. Sandilands could just because of his size, then it's probably Nic Nat in the A grade tier and Gawn in the B grade tier. Even Sean Darcy doesn't really nail the hit outs.

Most ruck contests are 50/50 at best, clearances come down to the midfield. Ro is probably one of our best clearance players.

It would have to be a top 5 pick to entertain the idea of Steele. I’m not sure how many clubs would do that deal.

The old adage..you need to offer up something valuable to get something potentially valuable.

Last year pick 5 would have got you Tsatis, Humphrey, McKenzie, or Jhye Clark.

This year possibility of Sanders, if he's not given to North.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Need bigger than grapefruits.

Trading Steele is club altering for us at the minute.

Which is why I can’t see it
But that's the phase we're in.

We resigned and then sacked a coach to replace him with one of the best coaches available. it was controversial and a big move.

If we don't do it this season, we won't be able to do it next. The media and fans won't let Ross go backwards in year 3. Gotta rip the bandaid off now, take some short term pain for a really extended shot at winning that second cup

Ahhhhhh the end of season silly season is here ladies and gentlemen!
Grab your popcorn, put your feet up and enjoy this car crash of a forum that is mostly nonsense, yet you can’t seem to keep your eyes away from.

(Adding to the nonsense) Anyone saying we can’t trade Steele, we absolutely can.
See a one R. Griffen trade made by the Bulldogs leading into their premiership tilt…
Not a single bit of similarity between our two list spots hey 👀

Grab your popcorn, put your feet up and enjoy this car crash of a forum that is mostly nonsense, yet you can’t seem to keep your eyes away from.

(Adding to the nonsense) Anyone saying we can’t trade Steele, we absolutely can.
See a one R. Griffen trade made by the Bulldogs leading into their premiership tilt…
They landed the previous seasons number 1 pick.

That’s about where the similarities stop

Hope we are a better club than that

But that's the phase we're in.

We resigned and then sacked a coach to replace him with one of the best coaches available. it was controversial and a big move.

If we don't do it this season, we won't be able to do it next. The media and fans won't let Ross go backwards in year 3. Gotta rip the bandaid off now, take some short term pain for a really extended shot at winning that second cup
Again.

The theory is sound and I was the one that came on here and told everyone we are realigning our window with the NWM Pou Owens King Windy etc lot

But you need a haul as good as any to sell this

yeah they gave up a first round pick with griffin for a guy who played two seasons for them.
The fact that he played ok in their grand final was more good luck than good management.

Sanders if available.

This Watson?
9. Nick Watson (6)
Eastern Ranges/Vic Metro
FWD, 170cm, 66kg
Talent League: 6 games, 22.3 disposals, 1.3 goals

It's unlikely Watson will slide further than this point on draft night, but there are enough concerns for clubs to bypass him at the very top right now. At his best, he's a masterful small forward with a bag of tricks, electrifying pace and aerial ability. But he hasn't flourished in his stints on-ball or at halfback. Watson looks to be a small forward in the mould of Cody Weightman at the next level.
Why not put up Sanders profile?

Are we just cherry picking?

On CPH2145 using BigFooty.com mobile app

The strategy is to get as many good to reasonable picks as we can in order to try and secure the star inside mids we need. We really need to find as a minimum one star inside mid this year or next, or it may greatly undermine our ability to have success with our new young core of players.

If we only generate a poor pick for say Billings and Gresh with Band 2 Compensation, then that becomes less likely.

So personally if we can trade Billings for a higher pick, but have to pay part of his contract, then I would do it.

It is much better for us to take the salary dump on Billings than to have another club take a salary dump with Billings for us. $$$$ is not our problem at present, lack of useful picks and inside mids is our problem.
I agree with that. I just don't think we'll get anything of sufficient trade value to add anything to get that great pick/trade. The best value is the 1M is SC that has a knock on effect to help facilitate a star acquisition in a year or two.

Why?

We have 1 gun mid. That’s our 2 x AA captain.

Let’s not go crazy overrating what our kids might do when we know what Steele does and what we lose
Going from what i've seen from him the last 2 years, he has peaked and don't see him reaching those heights again. Value would still be high and a team like Melbourne who has a top 5 pick this year and probably would like to play Petracca more forward.

We need to look to the future and get some elite talent through the door. it's not about next year, I'd be open to the discussion and prepared to weigh up the pro's and con's.

Untouchables over 23 would only be a few. I don't think Steele is one of the few.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back