List Mgmt. 2023 Trade Thread - Part II

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Parish is probably a bit more true extractor. Dow is a bit like Stuv in that he hits already on the move. Parish is a better pure extractor but Ross Lyon probably prefers spread runners who can win their own ball over old school inside rovers anyway.
Correct.

If you’re a mid and you can’t cover the grass. You don’t play under Ross.

I am going to make this clear.

I have no ******* clue if this is true. I don’t believe it to be true. I think it’s utter BS.

But I got told this morning, that this player is gettable from someone who is heavily involved in another Melbourne club. I put it in my group chat with the core group of guys I go to our games with… 2 mention they have heard similar 🤮

Steele is gettable.

Anyone heard similar?
Kane Cornes ran with it this morning as well

I have no ******* clue if this is true. I don’t believe it to be true. I think it’s utter BS.

But I got told this morning, that this player is gettable from someone who is heavily involved in another Melbourne club. I put it in my group chat with the core group of guys I go to our games with… 2 mention they have heard similar 🤮

Steele is gettable.

Anyone heard similar?

Jesus if we lose another mid we are going to struggle next year. That seems like idiotic list management. They'd better hope that they have some aces up their sleeve if they do that.

Steele is gettable.

Anyone heard similar?

You'd want to get an absolute king's ransom otherwise its insanity...

The "frees up" argument is usually pretty bad. We saw it with Sinclair on Saturday. He was OK in the midfield but he's not an AA level midfielder, while he is an AA level half-back. So what's the point of "freeing him up" from a position where he's elite to move him to somewhere he isn't?

Same with Marshall. He got in the AA squad as first ruck, but playing as second ruck/tall forward he was nowhere near it. So why would we "free him up" from the position where he was approaching A grade?

I think Sincs could be an AA level mid if he trained there. He's pinch hitting with no continuity.

Jesus if we lose another mid we are going to struggle next year. That seems like idiotic list management. They'd better hope that they have some aces up their sleeve if they do that.
I agree. I can’t believe it. It seems like complete BS.

Like who would even have the currency?

Melbourne?

Near term would be guys who are still young players but have more experience where they're almost at prime age.

I'd say 22-24
Yes and no.

MIDFIELD

Owens and Phillipou are not yet ready to be full time mids. And may always be more your burst type mid.
Plus Clark may be off

In Dow's case exactly. Plus Henry on the wing.

So yes 22-24 in this category.

But in the next two categories will most likely be an older player.

FULL BACK/ KEY DEFENDER

But for example if Howard goes as our player most likely to get the highest draft pick value back, then we need another key defender than Cordy alone, as Van Ess/Adams are not going to be ready to play a lot of senior football next year. If so, then that defender will most likely not be young as the club will want to pick up the player for nil, or almost nil, as they only want to expend good pics in the draft or on players like Henry.

There area few options that could be picked up. They are "fill-in" options for a year or two.

RUCK

Also the Club may well swap out Campbell (or he may want to depart anyway of his own volition) for another ready to go mature back up ruck as Heath does not quite look ready.

I have no info on it, but a Dog's poster has claimed that Lobb is off to the Saints. Salary dump perhaps? With their young talls.

Did he? What did he say!?
Tom Morris retweeted the segment - was him chatting with Bucks and Kane this morning, got to the Saints and said what they do with the list is the most interesting thing this offseason and they ran through a few names and Kornes said that the one he would trade is Steele because it's a position that is probably expendable to us but a position that other teams desperately need.

If we go down the ultra youth path and look to get as many midfield minutes into Owens, Pou and Windhager, with the guidance of Crouch, you can see that it makes some sense. Absolutely ruthless, but makes some sense. It would be the easiest way to get early picks to go with the young group.

I agree. I can’t believe it. It seems like complete BS.

Like who would even have the currency?

Melbourne?

Makes no sense to Melbourne though, the last player they need. Probably someone like Sydney or West Coast but no-one is giving up pick 1 for Steele at the start of a rebuild so would probably leave the Swans. No-one else really needs mids like we do.

Marshall was ordinary when we had Paddy Ryder rucking. I think he's a main man or trade to be honest. I'd rather keep him and invest the money in a gun extractor.

Marshall has never been a particularly reliable player as a stay at home forward. He needs to move around the ground to have maximum impact. Gawn and Grundy didn't work so I doubt he's the answer to our short comings.
Was he though? He looked ordinary at bounces and stoppages compared to the best tap ruckman for decades, but he looked as he always looked as a player.

On SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Makes no sense to Melbourne though, the last player they need. Probably someone like Sydney or West Coast but no-one is giving up pick 1 for Steele at the start of a rebuild so would probably leave the Swans. No-one else really needs mids like we do.
Steele as a 70-30 mid forward

Petracca as a 70-30 forward mid.

They want Harley Reid. But if you are in the window now it could make sense.

Get Steele on the Creatine in the off-season and he’ll be flying next year. Very unlikely he leaves for mine, nobody can offer a good enough deal. It would involve AFL receiving confirming Harley Reid is Nick Riewoldt’s son and we get exclusive FS access

My understanding is that just about everyone and everything is on the table that is over the age of 22-23 apart from Ro, he was mid season but the back half of the year showed what a weapon he is and is also a real energiser/spirit for the group - just look at the goal celebrations.

Due to injury pre season, Mitch trained with the forwards.
Likely he’ll train with the mids this coming pre season

Next year I would believe that both he and Phillipou will play in the forward line with more midfield time than this season. But still with mid time in the minority. Owens to get more midfield time that the younger and less strong Phillipou.

As they build their bodies, their midfield rotations time will go up.

You know I have been reading your posts regarding #4 and have been thinking 2 firsts for a kid on potential is way too much....
....but thinking about it a couple of things
1) I have banged on for years about topline midfielders.
Richmond had Dusty and Cotchin with some excellent A- support mids
Geelong Danger and Selwood with some excellent A- support mids.

I think we have the A- support mids but we don't have those absolute champions that win flags.

2) Lyon said you can't go to Woolies to get these players and we don't have the hand to do it. Also he said no rush on the build.

So with this in mind and note I know absolutely nothing about Zane Duursma, your suggestion has real merit.

Duursma could be Trac or Toumpas, but unless we risk it, how do we get this quality?

On SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app

Wouldn't need firsts if you could make up the points with later picks.
Also depending what happens and how many points they end up with during trading, GC might prefer a future pick to more points this year.

Tom Morris retweeted the segment - was him chatting with Bucks and Kane this morning, got to the Saints and said what they do with the list is the most interesting thing this offseason and they ran through a few names and Kornes said that the one he would trade is Steele because it's a position that is probably expendable to us but a position that other teams desperately need.

If we go down the ultra youth path and look to get as many midfield minutes into Owens, Pou and Windhager, with the guidance of Crouch, you can see that it makes some sense. Absolutely ruthless, but makes some sense. It would be the easiest way to get early picks to go with the young group.
****ing hell.

That would cement us as a bottom 5 side next year in my eyes.

That’s a huge. Absolutely huge call to make

You'd want to get an absolute king's ransom otherwise its insanity...
Forget the footy side of things - it would be a PR nightmare. Steele is universally loved by the Saints faithful, and whatever deal was being discussed would have to be so far in our favour just to avoid torches and pitchforks down South Rd.

Having said that - 'gettable' is a long way from 'out the door' - I'd say anyone on the list over 24 (and a fair few under) are probably 'gettable' at this stage.

The interesting thing about this thread is that the Club will do what the Club is going to do.
Our discussions and ideas are all very good and a bit of fun and shows out passion for the Club.
But RTB and SOS won't be reading them for tips. Just saying. :tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy:

Just shut your smug mouth Toby!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back