2024 AFL Awards Season... + Brownlow

Remove this Banner Ad

I know Cripps was one of the favourites - but was his season really worth 30 votes over the first 16 rounds?

I know the award is essentially a midfielders award & stuff ya if you play a different role, but it really becoming bit of a joke with the way some players seem to be awarded 3 votes by default rather than because they were necessarily the best player that match

No I think the hype is justified with Cripps. he's a fantastic skilled leader. Always controlling the troops like Sel did. Umps in love with his personality, but he does the hard yards.

The blind society that officiate our great game have Cripps on track for an all time record season.

1. His season wasn't best ever special.
2. How shit are Carlton that an EF is all they could manage.

I watched many Carlton games as we have a family friend playing for them- Cripps was colossal in just about every game I saw. Consistently excellent. Not surprised at all. Stood out in their losses as well.

But not to the extent he gets votes though

Just need to look at the round 7 game against us as an example - we won 3 of the 4 quarters that night, kicked 5 goals in each of the 1st, 2nd & 4th quaters - Jezza rightly awarded the 3 votes, but then it seemed the easy option was Cripps for the 2 votes when he really wasn’t 2nd best on that night. Even the coaches had Pittonet ahead of Cripps in the votes from a Carlton perspective, while Miers had a big night & got no love from the umpires

Good players yes - 30 votes in 14 games across 16 rounds, nope

But not to the extent he gets votes though

Just need to look at the round 7 game against us as an example - we won 3 of the 4 quarters that night, kicked 5 goals in each of the 1st, 2nd & 4th quaters - Jezza rightly awarded the 3 votes, but then it seemed the easy option was Cripps for the 2 votes when he really wasn’t 2nd best on that night. Even the coaches had Pittonet ahead of Cripps in the votes from a Carlton perspective, while Miers had a big night & got no love from the umpires

Good players yes - 30 votes in 14 games across 16 rounds, nope

I think the coaches are informed by their own expectations and information, but they're not out there to see the nitty gritty. So it's Umps interpretation of fairest as well as best, and I say fair enough, thats the valuable tradition- so do Paddy, Bartel, Ablett.

Even by Brownlow standards this the tallies this year are embarrassing. Bont was easily the best player in the comp this year and yet somehow he's nowhere to be seen? WTF?

Even Neale who was 3rd fav for tonight is way back on 13 votes

Normally you’d say that sometimes a player will have to have that good season which gets the media attention but not necessarily the umpires attention for the umpires to wake up the following season - except that Bont has continually been one of the best players in the comp but for some reason is getting no love when it comes to the Brownlow

Would love to know what he’s done to piss them off because he always seems such an inoffensive player who wouldn’t necessarily get the umpires off side

Even Neale who was 3rd fav for tonight is way back on 13 votes

Normally you’d say that sometimes a player will have to have that good season which gets the media attention but not necessarily the umpires attention for the umpires to wake up the following season - except that Bont has continually been one of the best players in the comp but for some reason is getting no love when it comes to the Brownlow

Would love to know what he’s done to piss them off because he always seems such an inoffensive player who wouldn’t necessarily get the umpires off side
Good points.
IF we were somehow able to choose one of Cripps or Bont, who would you select?
Cripps for me.
Sounds like Bont for you.
I could not care much about the Brownlow, they are both brilliant. Cripps slightly more dominant imho.
Pretty subjective.

Bont is the new GAJ when it comes to the Brownlow. Criminally under-scored every year to an almost comical extent.

He should be coming up for his second medal and yet he doesn't even have a single one. Same as GAJ only winning two over his career, which was even more ridiculous than the ignoring of Bont given that GAJ should have won five medals.

The blind society that officiate our great game have Cripps on track for an all time record season.

Very good player but I just don’t see him as an all time great.

Yeah the one sidedness of the voting is a bit irksome but at least he's a genuine star. Could be worse

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Cripps seems to have less vote stealers/competition. Walsh not a great season. Charlie injured.
Think he led by example.
Bont had other vote stealers playing evenly.
Neale had umpires boy Zorko and others to contend with

Good points.
IF we were somehow able to choose one of Cripps or Bont, who would you select?
Cripps for me.
Sounds like Bont for you.
I could not care much about the Brownlow, they are both brilliant. Cripps slightly more dominant imho.
Pretty subjective.

I’d take either of them in Geelong colours and obviously they each of have different strengths

Ultimately, I think that Bont will have a longer career than Cripps and likely will finish his career as an effective forward, while Cripps has worked so hard throughout his career to carry Carlton that he may not have the longevity - Carlton has tried to get support in around him, but they still see reliant on Cripps to be “the man”

So, IF we were to take one at this stage of their careers to end their careers at Geelong - I’d go with Bont, because I think we’d get a couple of mores years out of him

How TF did any North melbourne players get a vote in that performance?! This is just bizarre

Don’t worry, N. Daicos got 2 votes when we beat Collingwood late in the season - he had no coaches votes that night, with Danger getting 9, Miers 8 & Holmes 7, but come the Brownlow it was

Holmes - 1
N. Daicos - 2
Bowes - 3

We seemed to have been robbed of a few matches in which we were clearly the team in control across all 4 quarters

I’d take either of them in Geelong colours and obviously they each of have different strengths

Ultimately, I think that Bont will have a longer career than Cripps and likely will finish his season as an effective forward, while Cripps has worked so hard throughout his career to carry Carlton that he may not have the longevity - Carlton has tried to get support in around him, but they still see reliant on Cripps to be “the man”

So, IF we were to take one at this stage of their careers to end their careers at Geelong - I’d go with Bont, because I think we’d get a couple of mores years out of him
True that- Cripps completely carries them at present- if Walsh and Cerra could get healthy, he'll get some help.
Treloar has evidently had a great season too.

Remove this Banner Ad

2024 AFL Awards Season... + Brownlow

Remove this Banner Ad

Back