Resource 2024 AFL Draft discussion thread (Wed Nov 20 to Fri Nov 22)

Which realistically available player SHOULD we pick at #4?

• Sid Draper

• Jagga Smith

• Harvey Langford

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

Nope ....happy for you to try and prove me incorrect

You boohooed my call on Caleb Windsor last year ....can't recall your comments on my Mac Andrew call ?

I'm comfortable with my Langford call

BTW ...bog average Redman says Hi ;)

Slow-Motion-App-iPhone-The-Matrix-Bullet-Time-Gif-Keanu-Reeves-Bullet-Time-Slow-Motion-iPhone-App-Smartphone-314965.gif
I think it was Rachele

‘ we won’t take him ‘ Mutineer will remember

I’ve acknowledged you made a great call on Windsor but we are talking about you categorically saying we won’t take player A or B when it’s happened before after you’ve said same thing

And we wouldn’t?
Well that’s an entirely different proposition than use the Luko money to delist.

And no, I don’t think we would. Given that we are now a month after seasons end, I expect we have bugger all left. I would think they have a contingency for the year which they then look to soak up and pay as close to 100% as possible. And given where the club thought we’d be this year, I doubt we were also planning on banking cap space - or enough to pay out a players contract. I’d think even burgess would be mid 200s.

That’s not to say I don’t agree with the proposition. I’d be hoping they looked at everything to push some contracted payments to 2025, free up 2024 space and then delist. But by this stage of the year? Don’t think they would have had much wriggle room.

I think it was Rachele

I’ve acknowledged you made a great call on Windsor but we are talking about you categorically saying we won’t take player A or B when it’s happened before after you’ve said same thing
Wayne's just a poster who's opinion isn't to be rated.

Wayne's just a poster who's opinion isn't to be rated.
Don’t mind his strong opinions but categorically ruling out that Hamish will take someone is fraught with danger given we don’t know what Hamish thinks

Same thing happened with Rachele

The way it’s shaping up the choice might be out of Smith Langford Smillie and Allan so it’s a chance to happen

Thanks man, always appreciate the input.

What is your gut feel on who Blues would take then if both Smith and Draper were available at your pick?

Also any feel re is Langford in top 4-5 considerations also (which is the current rumour on this board)

Cheers

I have the feeling we’ll take Smith. Even if I would prefer Draper.

Langford is a hard one to navigate. He’s now slow by any means, and seems to create time and space to utilise his beautiful kicking.

I see him as a Jordan Dawson/Hayden Young clone, but I can’t see any club before Melbourne pulling the trigger given their midfields.

I think it was Rachele

I wonder how Wayno rates my Sam Lalor call over 18 months ago...when he was hardly being talked about as a high end 2024 draft pick by anyone? :) No highlight reels or media input at that time to assist just personal viewing, some up close..

Last edited:

Langford is a hard one to navigate. He’s now slow by any means, and seems to create time and space to utilise his beautiful kicking.

I see him as a Jordan Dawson/Hayden Young clone, but I can’t see any club before Melbourne pulling the trigger given their midfields.
Great stuff mate - much appreciated. I think collectively Crows fans would generally prefer the local lad after the amount of first round / elite players we have lost over the years (but thankfully Nicks has materially improved retention) but previously Danger, Lever, Cameron, Mc Govern plus lots more.

Thanks again

Don’t mind his strong opinions but categorically ruling out that Hamish will take someone is fraught with danger given we don’t know what Hamish thinks

Same thing happened with Rachele

The way it’s shaping up the choice might be out of Smith Langford Smillie and Allan so it’s a chance to happen
Allan for me in that scenario even if the draft/media pundits don't have him in that conversation.....yet.

If it goes

Draper
Lalor
FOS

Who do you think crows take ?

I think it was Rachele

Yep, I reckon Wayne will admit to not rating Rachele (who still hasn’t proven beyond doubt he will be a stat it’s fair to say) but seriously we do want opinions here so should be encouraging independent thoughts and predictions IMO. Same as Wayne also rating Windsor and Mac Andrew, Vader correctly saying Petrenko was crap and Faith stating Luko wasn’t in the top 7-8 players in 2018 (and almost universally laughed at but looks correct at this point)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yep, I reckon Wayne will admit to not rating Rachele (who still hasn’t proven beyond doubt he will be a stat it’s fair to say) but seriously we do want opinions here so should be encouraging independent thoughts and predictions IMO. Same as Wayne also rating Windsor and Mac Andrew, Vader correctly saying Petrenko was crap and Faith stating Luko wasn’t in the top 7-8 players in 2018 (and almost universally laughed at but looks correct at this point)
It’s not about the rating of players , it’s great to have opinions on the players and differing ones are good

But to categorically say Hamish won’t take someone just because you don’t think he should is fraught with danger as no one knows what Hamish thinks unless you’ve got some mail

He’s got form in doing that before

What I’ve heard

Not 100% confident though as lots of trickery this time of year

But hearing Draper, Lalor and FOS very highly rated by Richmond and Carlton

North is the uncertain one , might trade back
Jeff, with respect Blues super-poster “C4..door” (one of the trippiest names on BF!) seems to have excellent historical knowledge of Blues preferences. Him believing Blues prefer Smith over Draper surely is a good thing for us if wanting Draper? And yes clearly lots can still change before draft night and his info may not be as reliable this time etc

Assumes Tigers don’t take Draper at 1 or 2 which may very well happen if they trade with Kangas (good chance)

Well that’s an entirely different proposition than use the Luko money to delist.

And no, I don’t think we would. Given that we are now a month after seasons end, I expect we have bugger all left. I would think they have a contingency for the year which they then look to soak up and pay as close to 100% as possible. And given where the club thought we’d be this year, I doubt we were also planning on banking cap space - or enough to pay out a players contract. I’d think even burgess would be mid 200s.

That’s not to say I don’t agree with the proposition. I’d be hoping they looked at everything to push some contracted payments to 2025, free up 2024 space and then delist. But by this stage of the year? Don’t think they would have had much wriggle room
Given our list in 2024 and the targets that said no and we brought in only Burgess, if we are paying close to the cap I’d be shocked

Jeff, with respect Blues super-poster “C4..door” (one of the trippiest names on BF!) seems to have excellent historical knowledge of Blues preferences. Him believing Blues prefer Smith over Draper surely is a good thing for us if wanting Draper? And yes clearly lots can still change before draft night and his info may not be as reliable this time etc

Assumes Tigers don’t take Draper at 1 or 2 which may very well happen if they trade with Kangas (good chance)
My mail is Richmond super keen on Draper though as well

If they get pick 2 I think they take him 1 or 2 with Lalor

My mail is Richmond super keen on Draper though as well

If they get pick 2 I think they take him 1 or 2 with Lalor
I'd be absolutely staggered if Smith and Draper are there at pick 2 (if North trade to Richmond) and Richmond don't take Smith. They have been a long time into him and it still would not shock me if they took him at pick 1

I'd be absolutely staggered if Smith and Draper are there at pick 2 (if North trade to Richmond) and Richmond don't take Smith. They have been a long time into him and it still would not shock me if they took him at pick 1
That’s my mail

Can never be 100% confident on draft mail due to ducks and drakes but just sharing it

Remove this Banner Ad

Resource 2024 AFL Draft discussion thread (Wed Nov 20 to Fri Nov 22)

Back