Resource 2024 AFL Draft discussion thread

Remove this Banner Ad

The combine results are a complete joke.

Who gives a shit if Tyler Welsh can't run 2km quickly? When has an AFL player ever had to run 2km straight without a break as fast as he can.

Wasn't your boy Ned McHenry elite at the time trial? Best at our club when he arrived - means sweet FA.

I think Jets Running back Braelon Allen (who refused to run the 40 yd dash) summed it up perfectly when he was asked why he fell in the NFL Draft - "Everyone wanted to see me run in my underwear to decide if I was a good football player".
If they are a complete joke why are all club recruiters there?

It's more about seeing how hard the draftees are prepared to push themselves especially with the 2km run.

Looking at Tyler yesterday he looks like he's been dining out on a mix of Macca's and Vili's since the SANFL season finished. From that recruiters would likely question his self discipline.

Same thing happened with another SA lad a few years ago Will Gould who put on a lot of "condition" between season's end and the Combine....Drafted by the Swans and now back at Glenelg struggling.

Last edited:
Do you think using average disposals and referring to him as a mid, to talk up playing him, is a fair analysis given how many games he was a sub and how little he played midfield because that was the analysis he used.

As for possessions per TOG, you must have already looked at it and compared him to other players, what was it?

As many games? He was sub or subbed in what 4 of them? He played 3 full games.

Plus we played him out of position, he should be playing half forward.
Out of position? He was drafted as a key defender that had played a bit of time in the midfield. Now you're just making up things. The club trying him as a key defender in his 1st season of AFL is hardly playing him out of position, they're seeing whether that U18 form translates to a higher level. He's a unique talent and it was always going to take some patience to workout his best position at AFL level, which appears to be a hybrid forward/mid at this point.

Jagga reminds me of butters i think i would get him on ball as quick as possible rather than him maybe getting lost on the wing. without knowing who were getting it's impossible to finalize what it looks like

i am just relieved to see pedlar out on the track already looking fit and happy

i still think hes the missing link but not in the bloody fwd line
Not sure Pedlar has too much form as a mid ? Even in sanfl ?

Definitely got some runs on the board as a forward in 2023 afl level

Not saying he can’t play some mid but he’s definitely more a forward I think

Out of position? He was drafted as a key defender that had played a bit of time in the midfield. Now you're just making up things. The club trying him as a key defender in his 1st season of AFL is hardly playing him out of position, they're seeing whether that U18 form translates to a higher level. He's a unique talent and it was always going to take some patience to workout his best position at AFL level, which appears to be a hybrid forward/mid at this point.
If we used another top ten pick on a key defender, then our recruiters should be sacked.

lol, if we spent pick 6 on another key defender the club should just fold.

He played midfield in the U18 champs.
We were told when we drafted him about his midfield capabilities.

But tell me, where did he end up? Midfield and half forward, that tells me that’s his position and key defender is out of position ;) The coaches just took awhile to figure it out, 1 Some on Big Footy Coaches 0

If they are a complete joke why are all club recruiters there?

It's more about seeing how hard the draftees are prepared to push themselves especially with the 2km run.

Looking at Tyler yesterday he looks like he's been dining out on a mix of Macca's and Vili's since the SANFL season finished.
The good news about that is that he should get thru to rookie list now

Major red flag for other teams whether people think it is or not .. it is

I found it a bit weird , why let yourself go that much in your draft year

If we used another top ten pick on a key defender, then our recruiters should be sacked.
The reason all clubs loved him is because while he largely played in key position roles, there was some strong form as a midfielder and that is rare for a guy his size. It was always going to take time to workout his best position, taller guys just take longer to develop.

Especially when he would have had access to the club's dietician all year.

We might have expected some time laying there but definitely wasn’t thought of as ‘just a key defender’ by any of the recruiters

Had a standout game against vic metro playing mid and also against country playing defence / mid then forward

lol, if we spent pick 6 on another key defender the club should just fold.

He played midfield in the U18 champs.
We were told when we drafted him about his midfield capabilities.

But tell me, where did he end up? Midfield and half forward, that tells me that’s his position and key defender is out of position ;) The coaches just took awhile to figure it out, 1 Some on Big Footy Coaches 0
He played some games in the midfield, most were still as a KPD. Given you've said you don't follow the draft, why are you making assumptions about where he mostly played at U18 level? He was listed as a key position prospect on draft night that could maybe develop into a midfielder longer term.

The reason all clubs loved him is because while he largely played in key position roles, there was some strong form as a midfielder and that is rare for a guy his size. It was always going to take time to workout his best position, taller guys just take longer to develop.
It'll be interesting to see where he trains in the preseason. I'm guessing the forward group as we are a bit thin up there with Himmelberg and Gollant gone.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We might have expected some time laying there but definitely wasn’t thought of as ‘just a key defender’ by any of the recruiters

Had a standout game against vic metro playing mid and also against country playing defence / mid then forward
Exactly, he was an exciting talent due to those games in the midfield, but a club wouldn't be doing its due diligence if they didn't at least give him time to play as a KPD at the higher level. Fog was touted as a potential midfielder at U18 level too.

Does it give us the flexibility to draft someone else or if we do and he’s called by someone else, it’s too late to move someone to the rookie list?

He played some games in the midfield, most were still as a KPD. Given you've said you don't follow the draft, why are you making assumptions about where he mostly played at U18 level? He was listed as a key position prospect on draft night that could maybe develop into a midfielder longer term.
Because when we drafted him I looked into him more and the talk was we had drafted ourselves a tall mid, that’s what everyone was excited about, not a bloody another key defender with a high pick.

So tell me BACCS, which position did he struggle in the SANFL and where did he excel? Guess what, it wasn’t standing bloody Liam McBean. Where did the club slowly realise he should be playing? You know that’s the thing with blindly backing in all club decisions, it doesn’t allow you to think for yourself. If some Big Footy posters can work out stuff before the coaches, why do you back them in so much?

Hoping mid with the Sholl and Cumming types

His endurance is pretty good so if his knee is good he might really elevate it and hopefully play some wing
Honestly can’t see wing just yet. I reckon hybrid half forward/mid role but I’d be focussing on the half forward role. Let him roam up and down the ground playing pseudo wing anyway.

The combine results are a complete joke.

Who gives a shit if Tyler Welsh can't run 2km quickly? When has an AFL player ever had to run 2km straight without a break as fast as he can.

Wasn't your boy Ned McHenry elite at the time trial? Best at our club when he arrived - means sweet FA.

I think Jets Running back Braelon Allen (who refused to run the 40 yd dash) summed it up perfectly when he was asked why he fell in the NFL Draft - "Everyone wanted to see me run in my underwear to decide if I was a good football player".
It’s more the problem the bloke has been in an AFL system for a year and can’t get into decent shape. Have you seen him? He’s got the body of an amateur footballer. Something isn’t right there. To the point he prob gets to a rookie pick. He‘s gone from a top 10 possibility to purely speculative in a 12 month period spent in an elite environment. Not good.

It’s more the problem the bloke has been in an AFL system for a year and can’t get into decent shape. Have you seen him? He’s got the body of an amateur footballer. Something isn’t right there. To the point he prob gets to a rookie pick. He‘s gone from a top 10 possibility to purely speculative in a 12 month period spent in an elite environment. Not good.
It’s just very strange to not want to present well at a draft combine without any real excuses

Can’t see him being taken until rookie draft

He’s got the body of a youngman/boy

KPP/Ruck Jacob Molier the surprise really

Vertical jump
1. Jacob Molier 64cm
2. Jay Polkinghorne 62cm
3. Tyler Welsh 60cm

20M Sprint
1. Benny Barrett 2.913
2. Jacob Molier 2.92
3. Tate Delmenico 3.04
4. Tyler Welsh 3.06

Agility
1. Tate Delmenico 8.21
2. Tom McKay 8.309
3. Evan Bradley 8.383

2km Time trial
1. Jett Hastings 6.29
1.Harrison Ramm 6.29
3. Tom McKay 6.43
Jett Hasting had a good finals series for the eagles. He took out the Alan Stewart Medal as best afield How do you rate him?

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Resource 2024 AFL Draft discussion thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back