Resource 2024 AFL Draft discussion thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Since when would a key forward be required to run at 15kph+ over lots of kilometres in a game? At most it might be a 50-100 metre lead and then he could take a breather depending on the play, or at the very least run at a more moderate pace.
Flank roles tend to run almost as far as midfielders , with less rotation to the bench

He’s going to be that 3rd tall forward type and endurance running is a massive factor in that , ask your recruiter mate

As for it having an effect on his performance at afl level , of course it would . It’s had an effect on his national U18 performance already

Dude you’re not AFL fit and that’s the point of his time in comparison to his peers was way below standard.
It's more in reference to people that think he must've been sinking piss and smoking ciggies since the season finished to be posting that time, when in reality he's a teenager with a decent fitness base that will improve in a professional enviroment.

We are talking about a professional football league , that’s why

Do you think you’re in consideration for a 3rd tall forward role ? 😆
Didn't Cam Rayner also post a similar time in his draft year and he was meant to be a midfielder? Hasn't affected his career. There is way too much focus on these combine results, all that matters is their football ability, which Welsh absolutely has.

Didn't Cam Rayner also post a similar time in his draft year and he was meant to be a midfielder? Hasn't affected his career. There is way too much focus on these combine results, all that matters is their football ability, which Welsh absolutely has.
He’s worked on it hard for about 7 years that’s why

No guarantees that Tyler will do that but we hope so

For reference, I decided to test myself out this morning and go full sprint for 2km. I am at a good cardio fitness level and clock 50-60km per week of running at roughly 4:30-5:30/km pace.

I posted 8:28 for 2km and was completely gassed.
I can run 2km in 7.20 and I’m 42 years old. Granted, I do run 50km a week.

What’s Tyler’s excuse?

Since when would a key forward be required to run at 15kph+ over lots of kilometres in a game? At most it might be a 50-100 metre lead and then he could take a breather depending on the play, or at the very least run at a more moderate pace.
Not many if any see him as a KPF...ask yourself why he didn't get a National Draft invite when SA KPF's Charlie Nicholls and Charlie West did? Charlie West after an injury riddled season and only minor minutes in the 2 Nationals games he played.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I can run 2km in 7.20 and I’m 42 years old. Granted, I do run 50km a week.

What’s Tyler’s excuse?
You're a well above average runner with that time, I think you know that. You would also know people improve their cardio fitness as they get towards their 30s and 40s, Tyler is 17.

You're a well above average runner with that time, I think you know that. You would also know people improve their cardio fitness as they get towards their 30s and 40s, Tyler is 17.
I know. I guess he hasn’t matured enough yet. It does take time to build discipline. I’m more concerned with his body shape than his time. Clearly doesn’t have elite standards yet.

I know. I guess he hasn’t matured enough yet. It does take time to build discipline. I’m more concerned with his body shape than his time. Clearly doesn’t have elite standards yet.
Btw, that's a seriously good time for a 2km, very impressive. Have you been a runner for a long time?

Btw, that's a seriously good time for a 2km, very impressive. Have you been a runner for a long time?
Yup, quite a long time, as a triathlete. Lots of Ironmans under the belt. So I do have a great base of zone two/endurance training, which helps with the faster stuff. I’ve always wondered if AFL players do a lot of low intensity/zone 2 training. That’s for another day/discussion I suppose.

I think Tyler will be fine if he embraces the hard work/standards Burgess sets for him as a full-time Crow.

It doesn't mean he's unfit. Someone that is actually unfit would have struggled to finish the first 1km, let alone run at a 15kph pace for 2km.
It’s just like saying Murphy sucks, he’s good at footy by not at the standard he should be at.

Just posted an observation, still replying to posts on Welsh after that
Still waiting for the answer on your supposed SA based AFL recruiter's opinion on Tyler's run and where he thinks Tyler gets drafted? Surely he wouldn't be glossing over it like your futile attempt?

More quality from you Fox News.

Only you could find a way to blame an 18 year olds fitness on Sloane and Walker.

Never change old man, never change.

Don't forget the rest of the leaders, I had to name those 2 because they're no longer part of the official group. I guess that people are joking when they say we need to keep these kinds of senior guys around for their leadership. Certsinly the leadership at our club is paying off for young Welsh.

Yup, quite a long time, as a triathlete. Lots of Ironmans under the belt. So I do have a great base of zone two/endurance training, which helps with the faster stuff. I’ve always wondered if AFL players do a lot of low intensity/zone 2 training. That’s for another day/discussion I suppose.

I think Tyler will be fine if he embraces the hard work/standards Burgess sets for him as a full-time Crow.
Impressive. I agree with Welsh, he will be fine long term but is likely a slow burn. I was more coming from the perspective on Welsh that 8 minutes for a 2km run cannot be completed by someone that is unfit and sinking piss on the daily. A 17 year old is a long way off reaching their peak cardio fitness, which will naturally improve with age and in a better training program.

Remove this Banner Ad

Resource 2024 AFL Draft discussion thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back