Resource 2024 AFL Draft discussion thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Only the recruiters know the answer to that, it will all be down to where individual recruiters rate them, all I know is I most certainly wouldn't be disappointed if he's our guy, similarly with most in this top 8 or 10 it gets down to what type of mid we prefer. Sid is what I'd class as a balanced mid with inside/outside talent and some decent explosiveness. Personally I'd take Sid before both Josh Smillie and Jagga Smith of those in the "öpen" draft, that said need to see more of Finn O'Sullivan now he's back.
It does sound if we end up with pick 4 (no given at this stage but with St Kilda's run home, we might not catch them especially if we lose to them on the weekend), we will have one of the very good mids there for us to take so that in itself (assuming we don't sh1t the bed and trade the pick for a sugar hit player) is cause for optimism.

Gold Coast have a great draft hand.

If the AFL don't put in fixes for this years draft, GC will make out like bandits again. Get top 5 Lombard for a bag of junk picks and trade their good picks into the 2025 draft where they have more academy stars waiting for them.

We must make an effort to trade 2025 into an additional top 10 this year.
I wouldn't be surprised if they try to bundle up their two top ten picks to get a pick in before their academy player.

Gold Coast have a great draft hand.

If the AFL don't put in fixes for this years draft, GC will make out like bandits again. Get top 5 Lombard for a bag of junk picks and trade their good picks into the 2025 draft where they have more academy stars waiting for them.

We must make an effort to trade 2025 into an additional top 10 this year.
Us and everyone else it seems.

I could see maybe GC bundling up picks and looking to try and trade with say WCE or North for a top 3 pick to get in before Lombard pick. I'd be trying something like that if I was them.

Us and everyone else it seems.

I could see maybe GC bundling up picks and looking to try and trade with say WCE or North for a top 3 pick to get in before Lombard pick. I'd be trying something like that if I was them.

I don't know, do North need more picks? They certainly don't need mids, who make up the majority of the Top 10

Do either of those teams give up the opportunity of that really high end talent, even though the Top 10 bats deep?

Lots to play out

I wouldn't be so keen to trade out the 2025 pick, we will have a very nice draft hand of Draper and Welsh.

Of course we want two top ten picks, we always do, but the eye on 2025 will be to trade again, and not be looking at another batch of 18 year olds.

We have another first round pick in Edwards who along with Pedlar, Curtin, Rankine, Rachele, Soligo, Dowling and Schoenberg - throw Draper in - make up our first choice of midfield for the next 10 years. That's 6 first round picks and 3 second (including Soligo) who are making up our future midfield.

IMO what is really missing is not another 18 year old, but another 25 year old (LDU type $1.3 million dollar man). He'll be out of contract next year, we will have an eye of the BIG FISH. I know, we will never get one not from SA originally, but if we keep trying like we have apparently this year, something might stick and we don't want to be out of the game before taking a shot.

I wouldn't be so keen to trade out the 2025 pick, we will have a very nice draft hand of Draper and Welsh.

Of course we want two top ten picks, we always do, but the eye on 2025 will be to trade again, and not be looking at another batch of 18 year olds.

We have another first round pick in Edwards who along with Pedlar, Curtin, Rankine, Rachele, Soligo, Dowling and Schoenberg - throw Draper in - make up our first choice of midfield for the next 10 years. That's 6 first round picks and 3 second (including Soligo) who are making up our future midfield.

IMO what is really missing is not another 18 year old, but another 25 year old (LDU type $1.3 million dollar man). He'll be out of contract next year, we will have an eye of the BIG FISH. I know, we will never get one not from SA originally, but if we keep trying like we have apparently this year, something might stick and we don't want to be out of the game before taking a shot.

I don't disagree with some of your thoughts but think you're being a touch optimistic.

LDU is apparently almost certain to re-sign with North (we should shake the tree though, definitely) and as much as I like Pedlar and Schoenberg, at this stage the odds are not in their favour in terms of being major contributors to our future midfield.

Reckon there's a need for at least one more, even if we get our hands on Draper.

I don't disagree with some of your thoughts but think you're being a touch optimistic.

LDU is apparently almost certain to re-sign with North (we should shake the tree though, definitely) and as much as I like Pedlar and Schoenberg, at this stage the odds are not in their favour in terms of being major contributors to our future midfield.

Reckon there's a need for at least one more, even if we get our hands on Draper.
I agree there is a need, it's just if we get an older player we make our move up the ladder before Dawson gets too old.

Polar bear in Arlington, Texas

(Log in to remove this ad.)

History will show that Dyson Sharp is more likely to drop down the order than go number 1

I just think that you're also thinking that maybe we should saving a future in the event we can draft him next year ;)

Well, I certainly think the club should leave no stone unturned in trying to get a South Australian midfield prospect that's being touted as generational. Although even if we can't get him through the draft, I see no reason why we shouldn't be in his ear from day one. The Vic clubs do it.

Well, I certainly think the club should leave no stone unturned in trying to get a South Australian midfield prospect that's being touted as generational. Although even if we can't get him through the draft, I see no reason why we shouldn't be in his ear from day one. The Vic clubs do it.
Enough of this generational crap FFS.

Draper looks a very nice prospect. But generational? Ease up!!

"very highly rated""means a whole lot less than "generational" in terms of footballers.
A ‘generational talent’ is someone of the calibre you see only every generation or so. Calling anyone a ‘generational talent’ before they’ve got a fair bit of afl experience is crazy.

Remove this Banner Ad

Resource 2024 AFL Draft discussion thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back