Resource 2024 AFL Draft discussion thread

Remove this Banner Ad

I don't know about you but I'm starting to have some concerns with FO'S, I know he's had hand/finger injuries but unless they're still hindering him he just doesn't seem to be getting involved enough in general play, hand/finger wouldn't have stopped him running too much whilst injured so it can't be a fitness thing.
Yep real patchy

This is what I was getting at earlier (not re draper) but re concerns with any others we might look at. This definitely sounds like one potential issue.
Even more bizarre, I really dont know what you're on about, you said Draper now you're saying you meant FO'S..

You've completely lost me.

To my knowledge Draper and FO'S don't have any issues with their groins, one has had shin splints and the other hand/finger injuries.

Even more bizarre, I really dont know what you're on about, you said Draper now you're saying you meant FO'S..

To my knowledge Draper and FO'S don't have any issues with their groins, one has had shin splints and the other hand/finger injuries
Sorry confusing message.

No comments on FOS at all. Thats not what I meant. Not seen him really. Interested in your comments though on him you listed above. One to watch.

My concern with draper and its only a pondering is that his weapon seems to be his zip out of stoppage. Lose that I and I dont see much else. What I meant is that a groin injury or two and he could turn into a crab like matt crouch. That is still gets ball but no power to zip out of stoppage, seems reluctant to kick, not overly powerful, aggressive or even precise. I would way prefer a kick mark kind of mid to complement what we have. I see what I want in Jagga and Lalor in the bits I seen. Thats all. I didnt mean Draper has had groin injuries.

Like with lotto tickets the best approach would be to have two top 7 picks this year and increase the odds of getting it right. We cant afford to get to get this wrong - at the top end of the draft.

I though it was a pretty simple question
Do you see any risks with any of the players we have been touted to take at pick 4? as in you would be concerned based on what you have seen.
You then just listed your top three and the conversation went off topic from there.
He simply asked what concerns you have with the players in play for our pick 4.

I though it was a pretty simple question

You then just listed your top three and the conversation went off topic from there.
He simply asked what concerns you have with the players in play for our pick 4.
Think it was more in response to he’s worried about Draper becoming Matt crouch if he gets groin injuries which was where the topic really went off track

Don’t see any comparisons to Draper and Matt Crouch game style even if Draper lost one of his legs

Think it was more in response to he’s worried about Draper becoming Matt crouch if he gets groin injuries which was where the topic really went off track

Don’t see any comparisons to Draper and Matt Crouch game style even if Draper lost one of his legs
Yes but that was all after the original question (that wasn’t answered) where he asked what were the concerns mutineer had about the top prospects.

I don't know about you but I'm starting to have some concerns with FO'S, I know he's had hand/finger injuries but unless they're still hindering him he just doesn't seem to be getting involved enough in general play, hand/finger wouldn't have stopped him running too much whilst injured so it can't be a fitness thing.
I'm glad you've said this.

I've been worried that he seems like he just hasn't been getting enough of it. I keep waiting for him to blow a game open - but I don't think he's done that once this year?

Yes but that was all after the original question (that wasn’t answered) where he asked what were the concerns mutineer had about the top prospects.
Yep I’d be interested to hear that too Mutineer

For mine the things potentially holding each guy back from being true elite

Draper - kicking
Lalor - body resilience ?
Smith - hurt factor
Smilie - kicking , burst speed , midfield craft / ground balls , contested marking ( struggles considering height )
FOS - ball winning ? Form struggles , size
Langford - speed
Travaglia - skinny , ability to become a mid ( haven’t got to much concern re either )

Yep I’d be interested to hear that too Mutineer

For mine the things potentially holding each guy back from being true elite

Draper - kicking
Lalor - body resilience ?
Smith - hurt factor
Smilie - kicking , burst speed , midfield craft / ground balls , contested marking ( struggles considering height )
FOS - ball winning ? Form struggles , size
Langford - speed
Travaglia - skinny , ability to become a mid ( haven’t got to much concern re either )
Only one I wouldn't pick for the Crows out of those is Smillie. I want a mid with real weapons and whilst Smillie goes alright I don't see any real standout weapons and size won't be the advantage at AFL level it is at U18 level.

FOS has a full set of weapons in his arsenal that we've all seen last year. Speed, agility, brilliant sidestep, kicking, overhead marking, footy smarts and a body that looks to have physical development to come. Of all the top guys I would have said he was the most complete package so it will be interesting to see what the professionals make of season 2024.

Only one I wouldn't pick for the Crows out of those is Smillie. I want a mid with real weapons and whilst Smillie goes alright I don't see any real standout weapons and size won't be the advantage at AFL level it is at U18 level.

FOS has a full set of weapons in his arsenal that we've all seen last year. Speed, agility, brilliant sidestep, kicking, overhead marking, footy smarts and a body that looks to have physical development to come. Of all the top guys I would have said he was the most complete package so it will be interesting to see what the professionals make of season 2024.
They’d be the top 2 picks if the draft was done 12 months ago

Not so much now IMO

Langford and his Stingrays team were on fire in the opening quarter. Left free to do his thing at stoppage he dominated, generating 4 clearances and getting on the end of other possession chains to drive his team forward as they built a solid lead. He was significantly subdued for the next two quarters as he was assigned a marker at stoppage who fought for front position and to block his run at the footy, and Gippsland lifted overall to fight their way back into the game. Fortunately for Dandenong, Langford was able to again find a way to influence the contest in the final quarter, playing an important role in a tight back and forth tussle that ended with the Stingrays finishing on top.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Langford and his Stingrays team were on fire in the opening quarter. Left free to do his thing at stoppage he dominated, generating 4 clearances and getting on the end of other possession chains to drive his team forward as they built a solid lead. He was significantly subdued for the next two quarters as he was assigned a marker at stoppage who fought for front position and to block his run at the footy, and Gippsland lifted overall to fight their way back into the game. Fortunately for Dandenong, Langford was able to again find a way to influence the contest in the final quarter, playing an important role in a tight back and forth tussle that ended with the Stingrays finishing on top.

I think it’s fair to say now he’s been the most dominant draft age player of 2024

Can be a bit hard to compare when others playing sanfl wafl and vfl but in totality including champs and Coates league

I think it’s fair to say now he’s been the most dominant draft age player of 2024

Can be a bit hard to compare when others playing sanfl wafl and vfl but in totality including champs and Coates league
In terms of performance and consistency? Or you're including size and power in that?

If there weren't concerns over his athleticism he certainly would be firmly in the top group. We'll see how the combine pans out for him.

Levi Ashcroft probably the most dominant for mine at all levels CTL/APS/VFL/Academy game though he can be prone to a bit of stat padding. 35 disposals 22 kicks, 13 handballs, 11 clearances, 8 marks and a goal in a B.O.G. performance for Brisbane vs the Giants in the VFL round 20 gets him over the line IMO. Toss up between Trainor and Ashcroft who was best on in that Academy game vs Coburg VFL. (33 disposals, 5 clearances and a goal)

Interesting that Academy game vs Coburg VFL was also probably Smillie's best game this season.

In terms of performance and consistency? Or you're including size and power in that?

If there weren't concerns over his athleticism he certainly would be firmly in the top group. We'll see how the combine pans out for him.
Performance consistency and game influence

Don’t have ashcrofts influence on games as high as Langford

Levi Ashcroft probably the most dominant for mine at all levels CTL/APS/VFL/Academy game though he can be prone to a bit of stat padding. 35 disposals 22 kicks, 13 handballs, 11 clearances, 8 marks and a goal in a B.O.G. performance for Brisbane vs the Giants in the VFL round 20 gets him over the line IMO. Toss up between Trainor and Ashcroft who was best on in that Academy game vs Coburg VFL. (33 disposals, 5 clearances and a goal)

Interesting that Academy game vs Coburg VFL was also probably Smillie's best game this season.
Agree re stat padding where Langford has taken game forward , metres gained , consistent goal kicker etc

Agree re stat padding where Langford has taken game forward , metres gained , consistent goal kicker etc
I suppose I kind of agree with that, but I think we shouldn't over do it either. Levi is an excellent kick of the footy, penetrates and breaks lines plenty and has been hitting the scoreboard regularly all season. I don't think we should be down playing his impact too much because he enjoys a dinky round the back handball from time to time.

Hey Jeffcrowe how would you rate Langford's athleticism? What would he add to our engine room and would you be happy if we picked him? Cheers.

Remove this Banner Ad

Resource 2024 AFL Draft discussion thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back