Resource 2024 AFL Draft discussion thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Jagga Smith set to play for Richmond VFL for 3 or 4 weeks before back to the Chargers late in the season.

Every chance they take him I'd think.

Shaping up to be a very strangely grouped Top 8 almost, where there's really not much separation in terms of quality. I think for the first time in a long time there will be a varying talent order amongst clubs, unless some clear standouts emerge in the final weeks of the local state league competitions.

Shaping up to be a very strangely grouped Top 8 almost, where there's really not much separation in terms of quality. I think for the first time in a long time there will be a varying talent order amongst clubs, unless some clear standouts emerge in the final weeks of the local state league competitions.
If Sid continue his SANFL form, he is likely to go top 2 unfortunately.

What can we offer to get that done?

Keane, Berry, next year first?
Yep given the rumours around Berry putting talks off it seems he could be on the move

Hopefully with someone we can do a deal with. Unsure on Keane now but that could be in the air also

We do have to be clever though. It may be trade in a F1 and trade that out for another 1st this year.

At least try something - find a player who is happy to move for better opportunity - though unless its one of our long term signings I cant see where

Again try something

What can we offer to get that done?

Keane, Berry, next year first?

I think everyone should really temper their expectations in terms of getting an additional pick into the Top 10, and be pleasantly surprised if it eventuates. Every man and his dog will be coming for the GC picks.

As it stands I really don't see a scenario where we don't end up with an elite midfielder, which is what we've been crying out for. I personally would love Draper, not because he's from SA, but because he's the type we're looking for, and IMO he'll play R1 2025, but regardless we're not going to miss out.

It's a polarising opinion but for me it's more important to get an experienced player in that 25-28 age range (than getting an additional 1st round pick in), as we're sorely lacking for experienced quality.

If we can do both, and do it all, that'd be great. The only scenario for me that will be disappointing is where we don't get anyone through Free Agency, whilst also not bringing any future picks into this draft, AND we miss out on Draper. That will make it quite muted for me I think. Anything above that I'll be happy..

So what is the consensus for Draper. How low a pick would we need? Have seen him ranked anywhere from 1 to 7 in rankings.

ESPN power rankings for July after the under 18 championships

 bugga

1. Sid Draper (June ranking: 3)

South Adelaide/South Australia
MID, 182cm
2024 Champs: 4 games, 21.0 disposals, 3.8 clearances, 2.8 marks

There's a new No. 1 at the top of the board. Draper returned from injury for SA and took time picking up the pace of play, but by the end of the carnival he was at his explosive best. The past two weeks at SANFL level have shown the on-baller is AFL ready. Draper is tough, courageous, powerful and all-consuming in his pursuit of the football. He's one-touch fighting for contested balls and takes on would-be tacklers with an elite turn of pace, then has the foot skills in the open field to spot up leading forwards. Draper has averaged 25 disposals and 10.5 tackles in two SANFL outings, elevating his standing atop the draft rankings with inspiring defensive intensity.

Could easily see a Lalor or Langford bolt into no. 1 with a big finish to the season. If Armstrong keeps kicking goals, think North may even pounce on him very early. Draper could go top 3 or slip out of the top 10. Performances in big games like state league and Coates league finals could go a long way to shaping things. Clubs love a big game performer.

Love how open it is. How nice would it be to be Freo right now with 4 x top 25 picks.

Hasn't ESPNs mock drafts historically been way off compared to the draft? Think I would go with the others for closer-to-likely-draft positions.
Only because Knightmare was their draft guy until recently. LOL

So for first pick who is everyone leaning on:
1. Draper (plays like C. Warner)
2. Lalor (plays like C. Petracca)
3. Reid (plays like M. Murphy)

Any other mids in the first round?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This draft is shaping up similar to the top end talent of 2018. It felt like the top 7 picks were all on fairly equal standing and it came down to preference for what clubs were looking for. Naturally we had pick 8.

At least this year we will be in the hitting zone for one of the top tier players this time.

So for first pick who is everyone leaning on:
1. Draper (plays like C. Warner)
2. Lalor (plays like C. Petracca)
3. Reid (plays like M. Murphy)

Any other mids in the first round?
Jagga Smith - ball magnet
Finn O’Sullivan - Lachie Neale?
Harvey Langford - Dusty maybe. Contested beast who marks and kicks well.
Xavier Lindsay - Gulden, smooth mover with great left foot.

Likely one of those 7.

Josh Smilie is in that mix but likely gone by our pick and I’m good with that.

Jagga Smith - ball magnet
Finn O’Sullivan - Lachie Neale?
Harvey Langford - Dusty maybe. Contested beast who marks and kicks well.
Xavier Lindsay - Gulden, smooth mover with great left foot.

Likely one of those 7.

Josh Smilie is in that mix but likely gone by our pick and I’m good with that.
which one will suit our mix best?

Draper > Lalor > Reid > Lindsay > Langford??

which one will suit our mix best?

Draper > Lalor > Reid > Lindsay > Langford??
Tough call. I love the certainty of Draper, he probably has the highest floor of all of them and his 100% at it start to finish, win the ball, break at speed game suits our mix. Looks like a 15 year future captain and no ‘will he leave’ conjecture to worry about.

Lalor has the highest ceiling and that X factor probably has him gone by our pick anyway.

Langford probably projects a bit like Dawson plays now and will be hitting his peak around the time he’s finishing up, so that may be a nice hand over.

Reid feels like the cherry on top, like his skills and movement but less main character than the first 3.

Think Lindsay looks like a half back, wing initially but can’t undervalue elite foot skills in the modern game.

Be stoked with any of them.

Tough call. I love the certainty of Draper, he probably has the highest floor of all of them and his 100% at it start to finish, win the ball, break at speed game suits our mix. Looks like a 15 year future captain and no ‘will he leave’ conjecture to worry about.

Lalor has the highest ceiling and that X factor probably has him gone by our pick anyway.

Langford probably projects a bit like Dawson plays now and will be hitting his peak around the time he’s finishing up, so that may be a nice hand over.

Reid feels like the cherry on top, like his skills and movement but less main character than the first 3.

Think Lindsay looks like a half back, wing initially but can’t undervalue elite foot skills in the modern game.

Be stoked with any of them.
Bo Allan I think goes relatively high also, certainly higher than some are predicting.
I won't be overly surprised if Tobie Travaglia sneaks into the top 10, a lot of Will Day about his game.

Last edited:
Bo Allan I think goes relatively high also, certainly higher than some are predicting.
I won't be overly surprised if Tobie Trasvaglia sneaks into the top 10, a lot of Will Day about his game.
Would the WA teams have a different list or would they be fairly consistent with the top 10

Would the WA teams have a different list or would they be fairly consistent with the top 10
Not sure what you mean?

I think Allan's almost certain to be the first Sandgroper taken though it won't surprise if 190cm Forward/Mid Hamish Davis goes surprisingly high given his excellent Nationals campaign up forward...Went back to the WAFL/Claremont and played mid and racked up 40 disposals and a shedload of clearances last weekend.

Not sure what you mean?

I think Allan's almost certain to be the first Sandgroper taken though it won't surprise if 190cm Forward/Mid Hamish Davis goes surprisingly high given his excellent Nationals campaign up forward...Went back to the WAFL/Claremont and played mid and racked up 40 disposals and a shedload of clearances last weekend.
Thats what I mean

Would names like Davis , Urquhart and Allan be in a different order for WA clubs?

West Coast has pick 3 - do they have Allan and Urquhart higher and do Fremantle have them higher as well

I understand Allan is rated 4 by some

Remove this Banner Ad

Resource 2024 AFL Draft discussion thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back