Resource 2024 AFL Draft discussion thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Not sure what you mean?

I think Allan's almost certain to be the first Sandgroper taken though it won't surprise if 190cm Forward/Mid Hamish Davis goes surprisingly high given his excellent Nationals campaign up forward...Went back to the WAFL/Claremont and played mid and racked up 40 disposals and a shedload of clearances last weekend.
I thought you meant seniors! Was Colts

Thats what I mean

Would names like Davis , Urquhart and Allan be in a different order for WA clubs?

West Coast has pick 3 - do they have Allan and Urquhart higher and do Fremantle have them higher as well

I understand Allan is rated 4 by some
Most likely especially with Allan and Davis

Just looking at Twomey's phantom draft he has sid at pick 9. He has players like Levi Ashcroft, Smillie, O'Sullivan and Harvey Langford. all before our pick. So I guess it will depend on who nominates early which might mean our pick moves down the list. Sid could fall into our lap.

Just looking at Twomey's phantom draft he has sid at pick 9. He has players like Levi Ashcroft, Smillie, O'Sullivan and Harvey Langford. all before our pick. So I guess it will depend on who nominates early which might mean our pick moves down the list. Sid could fall into our lap.
Haven’t posted for a good while but been watching 18s alot this year

It’s one of those drafts that each club will have a very different draft order

I don’t have Ashcroft in my top 10 and Twomey had him at #1

I feel like there’s a top 9 or 10 and they could go in any order still

I feel like Travaglia and Draper with his sanfl form are coming hard late

Lalor also only a couple of dominant midfield performances away in Coates league from pushing right up

They’re the 3 I’m leaning to for us , definitely see Travaglia as more than a half back flanker

I think the top 10 order will be much clearer in 2 months time , especially with O’Sullivan Lalor and Draper getting more footy under their belt post injury

The other thing I thought about but prob wouldn’t do is push back to get 2 picks and get a Bo Allen / Joe Berry combo

Really like Joe as a modern day high forward who would also play midfield and Bo Allen is that bigger mid with explosiveness / competitiveness . It’s prob too risky though as they could get snapped early

Just do the obvious and take the best player ( with midfield talent ) with luck we have

Although I’d be talking to Matteas first before all else

Lalor also only a couple of dominant midfield performances away in Coates league from pushing right up

They’re the 3 I’m leaning to for us , definitely see Travaglia as more than a half back flanker

I think the top 10 order will be much clearer in 2 months time , especially with O’Sullivan Lalor and Draper getting more footy under their belt post injury

The other thing I thought about but prob wouldn’t do is push back to get 2 picks and get a Bo Allen / Joe Berry combo

Really like Joe as a modern day high forward who would also play midfield and Bo Allen is that bigger mid with explosiveness / competitiveness . It’s prob too risky though as they could get snapped early

Just do the obvious and take the best player ( with midfield talent ) with luck we have

Welcome back

Jeffcrowe!

Been wrestling with this cause I feel Saints would trade Matteus for our first. A few weeks ago, no way, after the Sydney game…maybe maybe.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

With the strength of the draft and how deep it goes not sure he’s in the picture
If we want him he'll be available as a rookie almost for certain, really doesn't seem to have anything about his game that stands out the times of focused on him for Norwood's U18's. There would be a couple of SA defenders that would be disappointed if he gets drafted and they don't. i.e. Angus Clarke and Tate Delmenico.

Edit : Forgot to mention Michalanney did spend some time in the midfield rotations last week, interested to see if that continues.

Last edited:

Absolutely We just have to get an elite midfielder from this draft or as you have said maybe from a trade so long as the trade doesn't cost us a fortune like our first and another pick when we could get a very good midfielder with just our first pick So I am hoping for Sid

Bo Allan looks good to me too, wouldn't be bad to have another WA stablemate for Curtin to hang with either.

Doesn't Travalagia remind everyone else of Mackay? Will he put the meat on? Surely the board doesn't wish for this all again (yes I know he actually has a range of attributes which separates him from our former friend).

Bo Allan looks good to me too, wouldn't be bad to have another WA stablemate for Curtin to hang with either.

Doesn't Travalagia remind everyone else of Mackay? Will he put the meat on? Surely the board doesn't wish for this all again (yes I know he actually has a range of attributes which separates him from our former friend).
Absolutely positively not.....Will Day.

If we want him he'll be available as a rookie almost for certain, really doesn't seem to have anything about his game that stands out the times of focused on him for Norwood's U18's. There would be a couple of SA defenders that would be disappointed if he gets drafted and they don't. i.e. Angus Clarke and Tate Delmenico.

Edit : Forgot to mention Michalanney did spend some time in the midfield rotations last week, interested to see if that continues.

SA defenders, Clarke and Delmenico, with Hasting all miles ahead at this stage.

Travaglia is powerful , even though the ump paid a free ( I thought it was dubious) see the way he pushed 195cm Trainor out the way in the marking contest ? Strength power etc etc

Wouldn’t have been a free at afl level

Yep that’s my no 1 preferred but it’s a Longshot

Fall back plan is still very good
Yeah, playing the role he wants and signing on for 2 years just 6 months ago doesn't make it likely. Only if he's home sick or just doesn't get along with Lyons or something in Melbourne, but he's the type of lad who would stick with the tougher times to make it work. Still an untimely injury for the Saints.

Maybe in 2026 if Saints don't improve and we do.

Did a stab at a the first bunch , can’t go much past where I am is too muddy
Obviously purely guess work just my opinion
Based on current ladder spots

A few factors here
- GC trade out picks to avoid Lombard compo drain

- St.Kilda gifted band 1 compo

Happy to have ripped apart by Mutineer 😉

Richmond : 1- Smillie

Brisbane :2- Ashcroft (bid match )

North : 3- O’Sullivan

West Coast : 4- Smith

Gold Coast : 5- Lombard (bid match )

St. Kilda : 6- Langford

St. Kilda : 7- Reid (battle compo )

Adelaide : 8- Draper

Fremantle : 9- Allan

Adelaide : 10- Lalor (trade with GC ‘25 1st)

Hawthorn: 11- Trainor

Melbourne : 12- Hotton

Essendon : 13- Kako (bid match )

Richmond : 14- Travaglia (pick from GC Rioli)

Hopefully see a way where we go all in with that future pick and other collateral to get into this draft getting another pick in before Welsh to get Dodson would be a dream

Did a stab at a the first bunch , can’t go much past where I am is too muddy
Obviously purely guess work just my opinion
Based on current ladder spots

A few factors here
- GC trade out picks to avoid Lombard compo drain

- St.Kilda gifted band 1 compo

Happy to have ripped apart by Mutineer 😉

Richmond : 1- Smillie

Brisbane :2- Ashcroft (bid match )

North : 3- O’Sullivan

West Coast : 4- Smith

Gold Coast : 5- Lombard (bid match )

St. Kilda : 6- Langford

St. Kilda : 7- Reid (battle compo )

Adelaide : 8- Draper

Fremantle : 9- Allan

Adelaide : 10- Lalor (trade with GC ‘25 1st)

Hawthorn: 11- Trainor

Melbourne : 12- Hotton

Essendon : 13- Kako (bid match )

Richmond : 14- Travaglia (pick from GC Rioli)

Hopefully see a way where we go all in with that future pick and other collateral to get into this draft getting another pick in before Welsh to get Dodson would be a dream
Think we'd need to give up a lot more than next year's 1st for GC pick. There'll be a legit bidding war for that one. Also think Lalor's upside and x factor will see him rise up the list.

Remove this Banner Ad

Resource 2024 AFL Draft discussion thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back