Resource 2024 AFL Draft discussion thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Iā€™m very low on Langford for that reason (although I find it slightly difficult to rank players without a crows hat on so maybe the horrid list fit that Langford would be for us skews this). Iā€™d rather Joe Berry than Langford, and itā€™s not particularly close. And Berry isnā€™t a top 8 player in this draft.
Langfordā€™s not in my top 15, as it stands. Iā€™m not a fan of his kicking accuracy, and the lack of general athleticism is not ideal

That said, he still has some nice qualities. Genuine ball-winner and clearance winner, great overhead, booming kick so has zone-breaking potential. Just not a guy I can confidently put with the higher-tier midfield prospects

Langfordā€™s not in my top 15, as it stands. Iā€™m not a fan of his kicking accuracy, and the lack of general athleticism is not ideal

That said, he still has some nice qualities. Genuine ball-winner and clearance winner, great overhead, booming kick so has zone-breaking potential. Just not a guy I can confidently put with the higher-tier midfield prospects
Yeah Iā€™ve got Langford at 14. Twomey has him at 3 which just seems bonkers to me. I sense a gradual drift coming, and some club with enough speed on their list as it is pulling the trigger on Langford in the 7-11 range.

Mutineer's boy in action over the weekend

On a weekend where 40 possession games seemed to become the standard, Lalor's modest 22 touches could get overlooked. He was strong and muscular at the contest all game, standing up in tackles or breaking them with a swivel of his hips. He showed a dash of pace to burst clear of congestion, and laced out a number of passes onto the chest of a leading forward, although the kicking was a little bit of a mixed bag as he did miss a few. He's such a powerful and beautifully balanced athlete that he seems to only just be scratching the surface of his potential.

Gives me definite Patrick Cripps vibes .

I feel like we will go Draper,

After a shitshow of a season the club will want to take the highly rated local boy and pump him up over the offseason with multiple fluff piece article on AFC site to assuage the facebook/apricot slice brigade and ensure they get their memberships again for 2025.

It just feels like a very Silvers thing to do.

After a shitshow of a season the club will want to take the highly rated local boy and pump him up over the offseason with multiple fluff piece article on AFC site to assuage the facebook/apricot slice brigade and ensure they get their memberships again for 2025.

But following on from that, no one should think getting draper is a bad move, the kid can seriously play and get him in the AFL system and increase his fitness base and he will be a super player

That and heā€™s also a decent player

Do like the way he will be able to break free forward of stoppage

Hopefully Dawson and Rankine can get some handball receives as heā€™s not the most pure kick

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm not moving from Draper, just worried he's gone before our pick. WC may want to avoid Vic kids given they are at the start of a rebuild and Vic clubs will be unsettling them as soon as they are drafted - it's what they do

Everything I read about this draft has it looking like the most jumbled ever, throw a blanket over nearly 10 players, what could possibly go wrong LOL.

My only Lalor concern is that I'd love us to take a pure mid.
Yep no place for Jordan DeGoey/Dusty type players on the Adelaide list I guess because Lalor has that type potential if everything goes well.

A lot of this reminds me of taking Danger over Ebert and the uproar at the time. Both excellent players in their own right but one had the game breaking power that we needed at the time (and now need again). I love both of them but I have Lalor ranked 1 spot higher than Draper. I think Draper however will be more consistent and adapt quicker.

A lot of this reminds me of taking Danger over Ebert and the uproar at the time. Both excellent players in their own right but one had the game breaking power that we needed at the time (and now need again). I love both of them but I have Lalor ranked 1 spot higher than Draper. I think Draper however will be more consistent and adapt quicker.
Yep - if Lalor reaches his ceiling i think he will be clearly better

But Draper is more the sure thing to be a good player , lower risk in many ways re homegrown and genuine midfielder . Higher floor lower ceiling

Yep - if Lalor reaches his ceiling i think he will be clearly better

But Draper is more the sure thing to be a good player , lower risk in many ways re homegrown and genuine midfielder . Higher floor lower ceiling
Wouldn't be so sure.
Draper has more break away from pack speed and agility. That to me is a sign of potential higher ceiling.
From what I've seen Lalor doesn't have top end pace.

Yep no place for Jordan DeGoey/Dusty type players on the Adelaide list I guess because Lalor has that type potential if everything goes well.
So, you don't want a mid and you would be okay with more Rachele and Pedlar types - forwards with the potential to hopefully roll into the midfield as they develop?

That seems like a wasted opportunity for me. I want to know that we have a premium midfielder with this pick - which doesn't mean I'd be unhappy with Lalor by any means. It just means that I hope he can be the midfielder that we obviously lack.

Last edited:
ā€œSlams it on the bootā€ sounds perfect for us!
I was a little surprised he chose the kick option when he had the man outside to handball to

Not that it was a terrible decision to kick but wonder what he saw downfield

I don't know enough about the players but if its close you go local. You avoid ten years of media speculation under mining the club and over the course of the careers I think you pay less. The manager have less scope to play you off against other clubs.

Welsh produced an exciting display of attacking football to help the Crows dismantle Port in the SANFL mini showdown. He struggled early with the ball seeming to not quite bounce his way on a number of occasions, and his frustration led to him giving away some free kicks. A strong tackle and holding the ball free led to the first of his goals which appeared to get him back on track and from there he started to find space on the lead and maximise his opportunities with some dead eye set shot goal kicking.

Remove this Banner Ad

Resource 2024 AFL Draft discussion thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back