Resource 2024 AFL Draft discussion thread

Remove this Banner Ad

So if half the clubs had interviewed Dodson and putting a little pressure on him regarding his decision so they could
“finalise their draft plans” I’m fearing he is going to be the bolter and early teens might have us miss him barring a slice of luck.

So if half the clubs had interviewed Dodson and putting a little pressure on him regarding his decision so they could
“finalise their draft plans” I’m fearing he is going to be the bolter and early teens might have us miss him barring a slice of luck.
I have had him as a 1st round possibility ever since his 1st Nationals game, now I think it's almost a foregone conclusion he goes earlier than some have predicted quite possibly anywhere from mid - late 1st round. He's clearly the best long term ruck in the draft with GWS Academy ruck Logan Smith likely the next taken depending at what point the bid comes.
WA Forward/Ruck Kayle Gerreyn seems to be attracting plenty of attention as well.

I updated the draft order because Lore appears to have stopped doing it in the draft thread.

Things worth considering:
  • Pick 20 is considered a first round pick meaning 3 year contract. Good pick if you have an interstate kid in mind.
  • Extracting Pick 13 (GC), Pick 14 (Bris) and Pick 17 (Freo) should be our target for Dodson

1724034179916.png

Smillie has regressed this year (unrelated to injuries) which is NEVER a good indicator of a star AFL midfield career.
Not sure where this myth has come from. Smilie was the dominant player in the Coates league through the first half of the year - so much so that he became the only consensus #1 pick this draft has had. That cooled after he had an ok but not outstanding championships but he probably still leads the U18 comp B&F.

Wouldn't be my first choice - I'm not as obsessed with giant mids are some are - but having a pretty good year.

Is there any footage of him using his speed and power to get himself or the ball out of congestion? My concern on what I’ve seen so far is that he’s like a bee in a bottle - extremely high energy, but not very effective in tight spaces.
The games I have watched this year, I'm not a huge fan of Sid Draper at pick 4. He is more effective floating our the back of pack and bursting through space rather than a competitive bull. When there is no space to break through he has a tendency to hack kick it.

Definitely a top talent but I feel he more is in the mold of Sholl or Jones and be a HF or Wing type player

Not sure where this myth has come from. Smilie was the dominant player in the Coates league through the first half of the year - so much so that he became the only consensus #1 pick this draft has had. That cooled after he had an ok but not outstanding championships but he probably still leads the U18 comp B&F.

Wouldn't be my first choice - I'm not as obsessed with giant mids are some are - but having a pretty good year.
1. Jagga Smith - Oakleigh Chargers -35.6 (8 games)
2. Taj Stanley - NT Academy - 33.5 (2 games)
3. Levi Ashcroft -Sandringham Dragons - 32.0 (4 games)
4. Taj Hotton - Sandringham Dragons - 28.7 (3 games)
5. Sam Lalor - GWV Rebels - 28.0 (2 games)
6. Murphy Reid - Sandringham Dragons - 27.8 (4 games)
7. Ned Hawkins - Swans Academy - 27.7 (3 games)
7. Daniel Annable - Lions Academy - 27.7 (3 games)
9. Cooper Lord - Sandringham Dragons - 27.0 - (1 game)
10. Zak Johnson - Northern Knights 26.8 - (11 games)
11. Cooper Hynes - Dandenong Stingrays - 26.0 - (11 games)
11. Joe Harrison - Swans Academy - 26.0 (3 games)
13. Thomas McGuane - Western Jets - 25.6 - (9 games)
14. Xavier Ivisic - Geelong Falcons - 25.4 - (5 games)
15. Tobie Travaglia - Bendigo Pioneers - 25.2 - (10 games)
15. Christian Moraes - Eastern Ranges - 25.2 (10 games)
17. Josh Smillie - Eastern Ranges - 25.1 - (10 games)
18. Oliver Warburton - Murray Bushrangers - 25.0 - (5 games)
18. Tom Gross - Oakleigh Chargers - 25.0 - (4 games)
20. Luke Trainor - Sandringham Dragons - 24.7 (3 games)
20. Leo Lombard - Suns Academy - 24.7 - (3 games)
22. Harvey Langford - Dandenong Stingrays - 24.6 (11 games)
23. Xavier Lindsay - Gippsland Power - 24.5 (11 games)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Lalor has the edge in terms of size, brute strength and the versatility to go forward a la Petracca / Ricciuto / Dusty, in addition to being a clearance beast. Question marks over being injury-prone, but Lalor really is the one of these 3 who brings something to our list that we do not already possess. If Draper does go in the top 3, this is the name I want to hear the most.

It worries me when young kids are described as midfield brutes/bulls because I feel they hit the AFL system and every experienced mid is just as strong so their advantage is nullified somewhat ie. they are ready to go, but they aren't as dominant.

Mutineer's boy in action over the weekend

On a weekend where 40 possession games seemed to become the standard, Lalor's modest 22 touches could get overlooked. He was strong and muscular at the contest all game, standing up in tackles or breaking them with a swivel of his hips. He showed a dash of pace to burst clear of congestion, and laced out a number of passes onto the chest of a leading forward, although the kicking was a little bit of a mixed bag as he did miss a few. He's such a powerful and beautifully balanced athlete that he seems to only just be scratching the surface of his potential.

On a weekend where 40 possession games seemed to become the standard, Lalor's modest 22 touches could get overlooked. He was strong and muscular at the contest all game, standing up in tackles or breaking them with a swivel of his hips. He showed a dash of pace to burst clear of congestion, and laced out a number of passes onto the chest of a leading forward, although the kicking was a little bit of a mixed bag as he did miss a few. He's such a powerful and beautifully balanced athlete that he seems to only just be scratching the surface of his potential.

How good was that underage Chargers tall 198cm Louis Emmett in that game, if he grows another 3 or 4 cms he will be an absolute beast, at this point he'd be in my top 4 or 5 for next year.

Looks like a lumbering/slow mid with average disposal, who dominates because his peers are smaller than him. It’s a big, big no from me. Not a need either. We need burst/line breaking mids.

How good was that underage Chargers tall 198cm Louis Emmett in that game, if he grows another 3 or 4 cms he will be an absolute beast, at this point he'd be in my top 4 or 5 for next year.
Next year could end up being one for the talls at the top end... a few prospects are looking really exciting.

Has Sam Berry’s strength in the contest, but is better than him in every other aspect (kicking, cleanliness, accumulation)

Please select this bloke, Hamish.

Is there any way of looking at score involvements per possessions in u18s or champs? Feel like we really need a player that makes things happen. Something all our mids struggle with

It worries me when young kids are described as midfield brutes/bulls because I feel they hit the AFL system and every experienced mid is just as strong so their advantage is nullified somewhat ie. they are ready to go, but they aren't as dominant.
Bicks - how big is this Lalor kid - he looks like a giant in the video but he might just be a man child and lose that advantage when playing men. Is he as tall as Patrick Cripps for example?

Remove this Banner Ad

Resource 2024 AFL Draft discussion thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back