Resource 2024 AFL Draft discussion thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Didn't you get the memo. Our season is shot and there is no pressure on now so watch us win a bunch of games and finish in that 9 - 12 bracket and miss all the top end mids
We're 3 games behind the team/s above us. Hard to see us making that up with 8 rounds left

We're pretty much locked in finishing now at 14 or 15

Tyler West not showing the form we expected. Good and bad. We may not have to pay the high draft premium we thought. Is his progress being stymied in the SANFL side. Looked a better player at WWT.
His actual game was pretty good yesterday with the exception of his goalkicking which was horrendous. Took a couple of really strong contested marks and got some poor delivery when he had his man beaten on the lead. Could have easily ended up with 4-5 goals on a different day, not sure why his set shot has gone astray.

One thing to come out of the Nationals IMO is that the media pundits having Josh Smillie as a lock for pick 1 for quite a while now isn't looking as set in concrete as they would have had us believe. Has had his moments but I'd think there's now at least 4 or 5 in that discussion in what looks to be a particularly laden top end talented midfielders draft.

One thing to come out of the Nationals IMO is that the media pundits having Josh Smillie as a lock for pick 1 for quite a while now isn't looking as set in concrete as they would have had us believe. Has had his moments but I'd think there's now at least 4 or 5 in that discussion in what looks to be a particularly laden top end talented midfielders draft.
4 or 5 in contention is really good for us. Just need to hope the Saints don't get gifted an extra pick before us.

Didn't you get the memo. Our season is shot and there is no pressure on now so watch us win a bunch of games and finish in that 9 - 12 bracket and miss all the top end mids
We are 3 games behind 13th spot with only 8 games to go. So very unlikely we move up any higher even if we do win a couple more games than expected.

Pick 4 or 5 is basically locked in.

His actual game was pretty good yesterday with the exception of his goalkicking which was horrendous. Took a couple of really strong contested marks and got some poor delivery when he had his man beaten on the lead. Could have easily ended up with 4-5 goals on a different day, not sure why his set shot has gone astray.
He's definitely got the yips.

Not Sid's highest possession game, but he was as explosive and exciting as we've seen him since his return from injury. There were a few passages of play here that not many in this draft class would be capable of, showcasing his balance, acceleration, agility and change of direction. His application to the defensive side of the game was much improved as well this week, with pressure acts and interceptions a feature.

Not Sid's highest possession game, but he was as explosive and exciting as we've seen him since his return from injury. There were a few passages of play here that not many in this draft class would be capable of, showcasing his balance, acceleration, agility and change of direction. His application to the defensive side of the game was much improved as well this week, with pressure acts and interceptions a feature.

Geez some really questionable handballs putting teammates under pressure, and an absolute hospital kick to a teammate.

Will fit like a glove in our midfield 😝

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Thanks for this

He is a hunter. He hunts the ball until it is clear of his area. Thats a great asset to have

StonesThrow suggests his handballs are random ( paraphrase) and there is some truth to this but it looks to be designed with those outside to gather. There were some in this package that were ambitious but I would prefer someone trying something to holding onto the ball because they freeze

I still thinks he offers something . His pace and turn out of a pack is high level.

Will be interesting to see how he goes as time goes on

This is the year to be all in in the draft. I hope we dont give up draft picks for B or even worse c grade players
Agreed bigman.. I would be bringing in 2025 picks to load up this year. I would be having a good look at moving quite a few of our fringe players on for future second or 3rd round picks with the hope of bundling them up for better value next year. I think a good core list needs to be consolidated before Tasmania comes in, the last thing we want is to be finding puzzle pieces.

Agreed bigman.. I would be bringing in 2025 picks to load up this year. I would be having a good look at moving quite a few of our fringe players on for future second or 3rd round picks with the hope of bundling them up for better value next year. I think a good core list needs to be consolidated before Tasmania comes in, the last thing we want is to be finding puzzle pieces.
Problem is all the other clubs also know this is a strong draft and likely want to do the same thing. Also, fringe players in bottom 4 sides don't really attract 2nd or 3rd rd picks. Berry might get 3rd rounder if we're very, very lucky due to his tackling prowess but also maybe not as pure inside mids with poor disposal don't really have a place in the modern game. No one told our recruiting team unfortunately. I thought Port might have a crack at Borlase last year with the family connection and their lack of KPDs. May do that this time around but also unlikely to be higher than a 3/4 round pick.

Do you think he’s a reach at pick 4 or 5?

Can’t imagine North West Coast Richmond Saints or Hawks entering a trade for their firsts

Maybe a Bulldogs or GC perhaps swapping and taking and first next year plus something else?

I reckon it will be near impossible for us to add an early pick and given we don’t have our second you would imagine the Melbourne second will cover Welsh - so a pick around 42 will be our next pick

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Remove this Banner Ad

Back