Resource 2024 AFL Draft discussion thread

Remove this Banner Ad

React Darren GIF by Celebrity Apprentice Australia

Didn’t we miss out on Keeler of our own choice, as he went after pick 40? Unless I’m forgetting someone
Yes but they changed the rules when he was much more highly rated

If Essendon or Collingwood had a highly rated NGA junior that year like us I just don't think the changes go through

Unsure on much of the draft this year. How big of a difference is us getting pick 4 vs pick 5? Im confident saints won't get a compo pick 5 for Battle. Heard it's even and lots of mids. If we end with pick 5 are we likely to split our pick to get two good mids or is there an elite mid there at 5?

Even if they did get 5, think they will take Trainor with one of the two picks. A KPD is a massive need for them if they lose Battle.

I think the proposed NGA changes are great news for us. The guy Cal Twomey currently rates as the #1 pick for 2026 (Jermaine Miller) is from our NGA.

ETA: this is wrong, he rates Cochrane as the #1 pick. But Miller is also tracking well so far.

Two years away, plenty of time to change again if they think it will benefit a couple of the big Melbourne clubs, or Geelong.

Jon Ralph reckons Battle is leaning strongly toward Hawthorn, which could have implications for us if it results in a Band 1 compo pick.

Jon Ralph reckons Battle is leaning strongly toward Hawthorn, which could have implications for us if it results in a Band 1 compo pick.
One thing you can take solace in is that Hawthorn currently have the pick (6) after yours and the Saints before you. Using the ladder predictor I don’t actually expect that will change.

Hawthorn will be very aware that a band 1 contract will knock their pick back too so I’d expect them to offer the biggest contract they can but keeping the offer under the band 1 threshold. Given Battle is an UFA the Saints can’t match to force it higher into band 1 so most likely outcome is they offer a Band 2 contract and they get an end of 1R pick.

Last edited:
He also said the band 1 compensation is $950K and the Hawks are offering him $5M for 6 years so will be a band 2 compensation (similar to what we are reportedly offering Perryman) but if it's band 1 then the Saints will draft one of the highly KPD.

One thing you can take solace in is that Hawthorn currently have the pick (6) after yours and the Saints before you. Using the ladder predictor I don’t actually expect that will change.

Hawthorn will be very aware that a band 1 contract will knock their pick back too so I’d expect them to offer the biggest contract they can but keeping the offer under the band 1 threshold. Given Battle is an UFA that Saints can’t match to force it higher into band 1R so most likely outcome is they offer a Band 2 contract and they get an end of 1R pick.

I like this thinking

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That has been my biggest worry....

We finish just above St Kilda in 14th and they get Pick 4 AND 5 after the VFL gives them the 'secret herbs and spices' FA compensation for Battle. Yes it slightly screws Hawthorn too but they get their ready made KPD and just slide one pick.

I don't want to risk any VFL shenanigans, it really is best we finish below St Kilda from here.

That has been my biggest worry....

We finish just above St Kilda in 14th and they get Pick 4 AND 5 after the VFL gives them the 'secret herbs and spices' FA compensation for Battle. Yes it slightly screws Hawthorn too but they get their ready made KPD and just slide one pick.

I don't want to risk any VFL shenanigans, it really is best we finish below St Kilda from here.
People are kidding themselves if they think St Kilda take a tall with one of their picks if battle gets them band 1 compo. They will take 2 top end mids and cut our lunch...you can take that to the bank as they say. Have a read of their board to see what the supporter base is thinking.

People are kidding themselves if they think St Kilda take a tall with one of their picks if battle gets them band 1 compo. They will take 2 top end mids and cut our lunch...you can take that to the bank as they say. Have a read of their board to see what the supporter base is thinking.
Supporter base views are irrelevant.

They'll take the two best players.

Hopefully there's close to zero chance of Battle getting band one.

Neither Twomey nor Rookie Me have Welsh listed.

He has to be a big chance to not go top 30.
Thats good news. Not being hamstrung by an early bid gives us way more freedom.

EDIT: Although I would still be a bit wary of the Bulldogs given his dads connection. Also, they were very sour about the Jamarra bid, I wouldn't put it past them to have a dip at him just as a return serve.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Resource 2024 AFL Draft discussion thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back