Resource 2024 AFL Draft discussion thread

Remove this Banner Ad

We use it to open up list spots on the main list.

It's still adding kids, but it's getting higher potential kids earlier in the draft.

There's no real difference between the rookie and main list anymore, other than when the players were selected.
By doing that we open up one list spot, when we could open two.

Hilarious. Langford's way ahead of where Dawson was at the same point. Dawson was a medium forward who wasn't even invited to the combine, drafted in the 50s and barely played until his 4th season. Even when he was traded to us, he was a good not elite half back/wingman. Didn't become an elite player until 8 years into his career.

Might want to give those tea leaves a stir.
Disagee, Dawson had superior foot skills to Langford as an 18 year old and I seriously doubt Langford's kicking ever reaches Dawson's level....that was my point....and hey it was you that brought Dawson's name into the discussion not me.

Nowhere did I say Langford wasn't a decent option for clubs picking in the top 10 I just don't rate him as high as you obviously.

We seem to have gone away from the old days of using the rookie list on players with potential, to now using it for players who have already been on the list, but we can't quite delist yet.
Isnt the current method an improvement though?

Rather than retaining players on the senior list and taking rookie picks, we are shifting players to the rookie list and entering the draft earlier...

In an ideal situation perhaps you would prefer we delist players like Hamill all together but if we are going to retain a player like him as we did at the end of last year, this is the most effective way to access talent as soon as possible. It also provide the incoming player with an initial 2 year contract to show something.

I already did, Langford at 18yo is absolutely ahead of Dawson at 18yo

But it’s about the ceiling, and although I think Langford is a top 15 guy, I think it’s limited compared to many I have above him
I feel Langford might be the most polarising player at top end

His performances at all levels this year can’t be denied however

Isnt the current method an improvement though?

Rather than retaining players on the senior list and taking rookie picks, we are shifting players to the rookie list and entering the draft earlier...

In an ideal situation perhaps you would prefer we delist players like Hamill all together but if we are going to retain a player like him as we did at the end of last year, this is the most effective way to access talent as soon as possible. It also provide the incoming player with an initial 2 year contract to show something.
We were the best at using the rookie list to find players

And if Draper had Langford's marking and kicking ability he'd be top 5? Odd argument. All players can't be all things.

I'd be stunned if Langford doesn't go top 10, he probably goes top 5. He's not lightning but he's also not slow. Plays a bit like Dawson (who also isn't quick), strong overhead for a mid, kicks well. You wouldn't stack your midfield with all that type but Dawson will be near the end when Langford's career gets into gear.

I like Draper too but don't discount Langford, would be a great get. Hasn't played a bad game all season and when the quality steps up, he steps up too. Always a good sign.
Langford is going top 10 , if not top 5 . Top 10 an absolute lock though

We were the best at using the rookie list to find players
Most clubs are now using it for depth due to how many injuries these days

But maybe the bigger thing is they’re using it to make sure their state league sides are competitive as it’s hard to develop recent 18-20 yo draftees if they are playing in state league sides that are non competive

I feel Langford might be the most polarising player at top end

His performances at all levels this year can’t be denied however
Yeah the production is certainly there. I get where you’re coming from, I reckon the clubs rate him given he’s high in Twomey’s rankings, plus the fact he’s trialling with Richmond

(Log in to remove this ad.)

All of Lalor, O'Sullivan, Smith and Draper look good to my eye and would suit us. Would be happy with whichever one is still available at our pick.
smith..... not a need for us
we need someone then break the lines (speed) and have elite foot skills.

Draper, O'Sullivan and Reid would fit the bill.... closely followed by Lalor

smith..... not a need for us
we need someone then break the lines (speed) and have elite foot skills.

Draper, O'Sullivan and Reid would fit the bill.... closely followed by Lalor
Murphy Reid ain't quick, highly skilled and great footy I.Q. but he ain't quick.

If I'm picking for us with our 1st pick..in order
1. Sam Lalor provided his medical assessment is OK
2. Sid Draper acceleration and agility
3. Finn O'Sullivan close to the best field kick in this draft if not the best.
Jeffcrowe , Thunderstruck and Bicks - who is most like Danger/JHF? The burst inside/outside contested beast? Worth trying for a second top 10-14 pick if possible? (would almost certainly involve giving up next years first rounder)

Jeffcrowe , Thunderstruck and Bicks - who is most like Danger/JHF? The burst inside/outside contested beast? Worth trying for a second top 10-14 pick if possible? (would almost certainly involve giving up next years first rounder)
Lalor..think Jordan DeGoey

Unless clubs have doubts with his medical Lalor goes before that.

Last edited:
Draper is actually the burst inside / outside guy . Smaller and not as good as those 2

Bo Allen a little bit too , question marks by recruiters on whether he’s a mid or half back at next level

Lalor I have a bit similar to Dustin Martin ( or DeGoey )

I think it will be very tough to land a 10-14 pick as those picks are going to be highly valuable in this draft

If we did I like Joe Berry and Travaglia and have them in my top 10

Looking at photos/highlights of Lalor in the carnival, he kinda reminds me of Danger in probably year 2 or 3 at the Crows. More athletic/lean than he is now, but still super powerful across the chest and shoulders for his age. The combination of bulk/athleticism that would be exceptionally hard to stop if it hit you at full speed.

He certainly doesn't seem afraid to use it from the small amount of footage i've seen.

Looking at photos/highlights of Lalor in the carnival, he kinda reminds me of Danger in probably year 2 or 3 at the Crows. More athletic/lean than he is now, but still super powerful across the chest and shoulders for his age. The combination of bulk/athleticism that would be exceptionally hard to stop if it hit you at full speed.

He certainly doesn't seem afraid to use it from the small amount of footage i've seen.
Definitely similar body shape , doesn’t have that burst speed to that level but not many do in history of the game

Remove this Banner Ad

Resource 2024 AFL Draft discussion thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back