Resource 2024 AFL Draft discussion thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Bicks - how big is this Lalor kid - he looks like a giant in the video but he might just be a man child and lose that advantage when playing men. Is he as tall as Patrick Cripps for example?
Nah he is about Billy Dowlings height of 187CM.

Big man. Cripps is 194CM and Bont is 192CM.

I was a little surprised he chose the kick option when he had the man outside to handball to

Not that it was a terrible decision to kick but wonder what he saw downfield
In the clip, it showed SA player #5 leading with a 5m gap on his opponent.
But Draper chose the dump 50m kick

From what I have seen of Lalor, he nearly always looks for a target and mostly hits his team mate.
That's why I prefer Lalor

A lot of this reminds me of taking Danger over Ebert and the uproar at the time. Both excellent players in their own right but one had the game breaking power that we needed at the time (and now need again). I love both of them but I have Lalor ranked 1 spot higher than Draper. I think Draper however will be more consistent and adapt quicker.
whilst Ebert was a blue collar pick Thunder Draper has some tricks we dont have in huge abundance - pace, acceleration and ability to change direction quickly. He would add greatly to our more blue collar type players.

Dont discount Edwards - his last month has been very good. He is still raw but he is now starting to use his weapons and becoming a good midfielder. His improved form is one of the reasons for the better performances of the SANFL side. He could be our Smilie or Lalor if we went for Draper.

So, you don't want a mid and you would be okay with more Rachele and Pedlar types - forwards with the potential to hopefully roll into the midfield as they develop?

That seems like a wasted opportunity for me. I want to know that we have a premium midfielder with this pick - which doesn't mean I'd be unhappy with Lalor by any means. It just means that I hope he can be the midfielder that we obviously lack.
WTF are you on about, Lalor is a midfielder than can also get forward and rattle the scoreboard, he can also play forward and be a real weapon. Can I suggest you go watch his 2 CTL games this year because clearly you've never watched the lad play.

The only reason Lalor played forward on resuming was because he had virtually no preseason managing a groin/hip issue and then a minor foot issue so once again he couldn't get the miles into his legs. He's still not near fully fit for extended midfield time, look out when he gets up to full rat power. A great prospect for Burgess to go to work on.

Last edited:
Wouldn't be so sure.
Draper has more break away from pack speed and agility. That to me is a sign of potential higher ceiling.
From what I've seen Lalor doesn't have top end pace.
Either does / did Cripps Martin DeGoey Bont

He’s got power , footy IQ , size , versatility re ability to mark it forward and contested ability

In the clip, it showed SA player #5 leading with a 5m gap on his opponent.
But Draper chose the dump 50m kick

From what I have seen of Lalor, he nearly always looks for a target and mostly hits his team mate.
That's why I prefer Lalor
Lalor definitely the better kick and it’s not close

I’m still a fan of Draper but kicking isn’t his thing

WTF are you on about, Lalor is a midfielder than can also get forward and rattle the scoreboard, he can also play forward and be a real weapon. Can I suggest you go watch his 2 CTL games this year because clearly you've never watched the lad play.

The only reason Lalor played forward on resuming was because he had virtually no preseason managing a groin/hip issue and then a minor foot issue so once again he couldn't get the miles into his legs. He's still not near fully fit for extended midfield time, look out when he gets up to full rat power. A great prospect for Burgess to go to work on.

Great - my reservation was just based on the number of minutes he spent up forward this year instead of in midfield rotations. He obviously did well when up forward for Geelong Grammer, GWV and Vic Country, and clearly he was coming back from an injury - I just don't want another combo mid who works well forward. I want a pure mid.

No need to be insulting, we can't all be you.

I really really really want to like Draper. There are so many elite traits in particular his attack on the contest and his burst of speed away from the contest. His decision making seems good enough but his disposal particularly a fair portion of loopy handballs and a larger portion of meh kicks really is a concern.

I really really really want to like Draper. There are so many elite traits in particular his attack on the contest and his burst of speed away from the contest. His decision making seems good enough but his disposal particularly a fair portion of loopy handballs and a larger portion of meh kicks really is a concern.
Spot on. I’m still waiting to see a highlights package where he consistently chooses the right options or doesn’t panic with his disposal. He’s a lot like butters…minus the class. Huge concern.

Great - my reservation was just based on the number of minutes he spent up forward this year instead of in midfield rotations. He obviously did well when up forward for Geelong Grammer, GWV and Vic Country, and clearly he was coming back from an injury - I just don't want another combo mid who works well forward. I want a pure mid.

I think his first or second game for year for rebels ( he was back from injury ) he played full time mid and had 34 disposals

Mutineer would definitely know

Come on man, you can’t say ‘no need to be insulting’, then go on to be insulting in the same sentence 😂

Mutineer would most likely know probably better than anyone else here re: Lalor’s capabilities, the two CTL games are absolutely an indicator of his midfield ability

Come on man, you can’t say ‘no need to be insulting’, then go on to be insulting in the same sentence 😂

Mutineer would most likely know probably better than anyone else here re: Lalor’s capabilities, the two CTL games are absolutely an indicator of his midfield ability
Yeah nobody wants the Christian Petracca, Dustin Martin, Jordan DeGoey, Marcus Bontompelli, Isaac Heeney, Jason Horne-Francis types mids that are handy forward on their list just "pure" mids I guess or mid/defenders like Nick Daicos, Jack Sinclair and Hayden Young either?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I pretty much feel like this too

I still like him but I’m not all in

It’s not like how I felt about gulden , Mckercher , JHF etc

Yeah nobody wants the Christian Petracca, Dustin Martin, Jordan DeGoey, Marcus Bontompelli, Isaac Heeney, Jason Horne-Francis types mids that are handy forward on their list just "pure" mids I guess or mid/defenders like Nick Daicos, Jack Sinclair and Hayden Young either?
Yeah, I must be an idiot for saying that I want a genuine mid.

This club has drafted a bunch of mids, where we've been excited by their "versatility".

I don't want a Rachele or Pedlar, and I don't want a Jones.

I don't want players where we get away with playing them in a flank or a pocket. I want a player who has excelled playing right in the guts, and we give them that opportunity from day one.

If we draft Lalor, I hope that's who he becomes.

Welsh produced an exciting display of attacking football to help the Crows dismantle Port in the SANFL mini showdown. He struggled early with the ball seeming to not quite bounce his way on a number of occasions, and his frustration led to him giving away some free kicks. A strong tackle and holding the ball free led to the first of his goals which appeared to get him back on track and from there he started to find space on the lead and maximise his opportunities with some dead eye set shot goal kicking.

Love that gather then handball to Edwards who kicks long for goal.

Yeah, I must be an idiot for saying that I want a genuine mid.

This club has drafted a bunch of mids, where we've been excited by their "versatility".

I don't want a Rachele or Pedlar, and I don't want a Jones.

I don't want players where we get away with playing them in a flank or a pocket. I want a player who has excelled playing right in the guts, and we give them that opportunity from day one.

If we draft Lalor, I hope that's who he becomes.
Depends on where they end up, rather than where they start.

Rankine was a hell of a lot more forward than mid, until he wasn't.

Wow ..interesting analysis

I reckon he has one of highest ceilings in draft , lots of dusty martin in his game

He’s powerful and he is able to go forward and has beautiful timing with his marking , a lovely kick normally too . Couple of errors there in that game doesn’t change that

So you reckon Smillie has one of the highest ceilings? I watched some footage from one of his games - have seen very little of him - and it wasn’t that impressive

Glad to hear someone who pays more attention to this stuff rates him that highly.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

‘Universally rated top 2 pick’. Ok mate. Show me some evidence of that. He was in the group of players to watch. Still in Cal Twomey’s top 5 despite a drop off in form after illness.

Jeez people are rough on these kids.

And in Espns top 5, and Rookie me number 2 (older listing from June)
Certainly right in the pick one mix

You said yourself he was the consensus number 1 pick a few months ago. All I’m saying is that he’s not now, which is the definition of regression. Did you watch any of his carnival games? I did, and honestly he wasn’t even a top 5 player on his own team, and you’ll struggle to find anyone who thinks that he was. There was no known illness or injury that impacted him at the carnival (unlike Draper and O’Sullivan who were hampered at that time, with O’Sullivan still struggling to shake injuries now). It was surprising. He’s had an illness since. Maybe Smillie finishes the season really strongly and vaults back up to that top 4 mix? Not sure.

Is Smillie still a really good AFL prospect? Absolutely. I still think he deserves to go top 10.

Is the history of players who have gone from “consensus number 1 pick” in May-June of their draft year to “pick 5-10 when the draft rolls around” very pretty? No, it’s not. Doesn’t mean he can’t break that trend, but it’s a trend.

If we had pick 8-10, I’d be perfectly happy to pull the trigger and see if he could become a Tom Green type.

At pick 4, it’s a no from me in favour of any of Draper, Smith or Lalor, especially on a playing list that already contains Dawson and Curtin.

That’s the worry. We have Dawson and Curtin already for the big body role
We need a line breaking burst midfielder.

Who suits that best?

Remove this Banner Ad

Resource 2024 AFL Draft discussion thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back