Resource 2024 AFL Draft discussion thread

Remove this Banner Ad

So you reckon Smillie has one of the highest ceilings? I watched some footage from one of his games - have seen very little of him - and it wasn’t that impressive

Glad to hear someone who pays more attention to this stuff rates him that highly.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
He's referring to Sam Lalor..

Lalor definitely the better kick and it’s not close

I’m still a fan of Draper but kicking isn’t his thing

Speed and strength are the most important attributes. Ala Danger. Decent kick but the ability to burst away from contest is a key gap we miss

Well you’re describing Draper there
Wouldn't have thought Draper was over endowed in the strength attributes of his game, Danger is a bull, and Draper's certainly not really like Danger who is generally more straight line whilst Draper more uses his agility and sidestep to exit stoppages. I'm not saying Draper isn't also a decent prospect he just really doesn't share a lot of Dangerfield type attributes or game style IMO/

Wouldn't have thought Draper was over endowed in the strength attributes of his game, Danger is a bull, and Draper's certainly not really like Danger who is generally more straight line whilst Draper more uses his agility and sidestep to exit stoppages. I'm not saying Draper isn't also a decent prospect he just really doesn't share a lot of Dangerfield type attributes or game style IMO/
The poster said burst away from a pack - which Draper does in spades. I love his intensity to get to and away from packs. But his disposal worries me.

So you reckon Smillie has one of the highest ceilings? I watched some footage from one of his games - have seen very little of him - and it wasn’t that impressive

Glad to hear someone who pays more attention to this stuff rates him that highly.

This is Lalor I’m talking about ^^

ModernArtillery Who do you prefer as you have a good handle on all things draft related if both Draper and Lalor are there at the crows pick
I could get behind both selections for us as I think both offer our midfield a different look that we need.

I think Draper's a safe bet to produce an Adam Treloar-like career. Consistently high production. Maybe the numbers don't always come with the hurt factor or value that you'd like, but an ultra reliable, top end ball winner.

Lalor I envision a bit the opposite. He probably won't put up the same numbers as Draper but he'll need less touches to break a game open. I think at full flight he'll be able influence the game in ways that most guys can't.

Both types have their place but I just think it's harder to get the Lalor types. I can't help but think if Lalor was healthy all year he'd be the consensus number 1 pick. That's probably the direction I'd go if I was making the pick.

Welsh produced an exciting display of attacking football to help the Crows dismantle Port in the SANFL mini showdown. He struggled early with the ball seeming to not quite bounce his way on a number of occasions, and his frustration led to him giving away some free kicks. A strong tackle and holding the ball free led to the first of his goals which appeared to get him back on track and from there he started to find space on the lead and maximise his opportunities with some dead eye set shot goal kicking.

Looks a ripper. Quick for a big guy, will put on a lot more fwd half pressure than Walker/Fog/Tt.

Given his long record of kicking bags at every level I don’t understand why he’s so low on the lists.

CLUB-TIED COMBINE INVITEES​

NATIONAL DRAFT COMBINE (11/65)

Father-Son (3):

Levi Ashcroft (Brisbane)
Ben Camporeale (Carlton)
Lucas Camporeale (Carlton)

Next Generation Academy (3):
Adrian Cole (St Kilda)
Malakai Champion (West Coast)
Isaac Kako (Essendon)

Northern Academy (5):
Cooper Bell (GWS)
Joel Cochran (Sydney)
Leonardo Lombard (Gold Coast)
Sam Marshall (Brisbane)
Logan Smith (GWS)

STATE DRAFT COMBINE (13/62)

Father-Son (5):

Rome Burgoyne (Port Adelaide)
Louie Montgomery (Port Adelaide)
Elwood Peckett (St Kilda)
River Stevens (North Melbourne)
Tyler Welsh (Adelaide)

Next Generation Academy (6):
Riak Andrew (Melbourne)
Benny Barrett (Port Adelaide)
Lennox Hofmann (St Kilda)
Ricky Mentha (Melbourne)
Jayden Nguyen (Essendon)
Luke Quaynor (Collingwood)

Northern Academy (2):
Josaia Delana (GWS)
Tom Gillett (Brisbane)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

whilst Ebert was a blue collar pick Thunder Draper has some tricks we dont have in huge abundance - pace, acceleration and ability to change direction quickly. He would add greatly to our more blue collar type players.

Dont discount Edwards - his last month has been very good. He is still raw but he is now starting to use his weapons and becoming a good midfielder. His improved form is one of the reasons for the better performances of the SANFL side. He could be our Smilie or Lalor if we went for Draper.

Oh no not at all. Draper is the best phone box player in the draft bar none. Elite sidestep, agility, speed of mind in congestion. Not the cleanest but in terms of brain to muscle, he's before everyone else. He's almost psycho in there with his ability in congestion and that would be very handy.

Lalor, the classic mid/fwd would overall present a harder matchup and a more powerful edge for our side. Different players, both weapons in their own right and it's why I've only got them 1 spot apart.

Edwards has improved, I don't think he will be the heavy type of player Smilie is, he's got almost a lumber about him (he could end up like RCD though that might be bottom end). Edwards has some good zing and will grow nicely into his body but I think he always keeps his lighter feet. Skills still need work but he's made good ground this year in an AFL system.

Danger was a skinny kid when he arrived - albeit as a 17 year old. Draper looks pretty solid to me for a kid and plays tough, with his speed burst out of the contest and attack on the ground ball, think it's a pretty decent comparison.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-08-22 at 2.11.55 PM.png
    Screenshot 2024-08-22 at 2.11.55 PM.png
    110.8 KB · Views: 27
  • Screenshot 2024-08-22 at 2.12.35 PM.png
    Screenshot 2024-08-22 at 2.12.35 PM.png
    358.1 KB · Views: 27
Danger was relatively skinny but still powerfully built and could stand up in tackles in the Sanfl in his under age year. Draper is handling contested footy will as a small guy, but very different in terms of strength and power.

From ESPN's Jasper Chellappah: "Draper isn't made in the image of Scott Pendlebury, where time seems to slow and the path forward open up. He's more in tune with Patrick Dangerfield, a bundle of energy eager to explode forward at all times. Whether there's space to escape does not matter to the 18-year-old; he takes on opponents with reckless abandon and has no qualms in fighting tackles through pace or brawn."

From ESPN's Jasper Chellappah: "Draper isn't made in the image of Scott Pendlebury, where time seems to slow and the path forward open up. He's more in tune with Patrick Dangerfield, a bundle of energy eager to explode forward at all times. Whether there's space to escape does not matter to the 18-year-old; he takes on opponents with reckless abandon and has no qualms in fighting tackles through pace or brawn."
Sorry I don't see it at all..

Jasper is Knightmare's (Chris Doerre) successor at ESPN after that former YouTube draft "guru" moved on to being a Youtube finance "guru". 😉

Last edited:
Mutineer Panther Blood

So your junior coach has overseen some great kids of late.
Roberts, JHF, and by the looks Sid Draper.

His pedigree looks pretty good but don’t know if he has completed the necessary degree of coaching for AFL.
Should we be looking at him in a coaching role ?

IMG_1913.jpeg

Mutineer Panther Blood

His pedigree looks pretty good but don’t know if he has completed the necessary degree of coaching for AFL.

View attachment 2088313

I've often mentioned Clayton's input into the Panthers junior pathway if you checkout my posting. He'd be an ideal replacement for Marco Bello in our development gig, another that would be a good get would be David Loader the current GWV Rebels coach formerly worked in the development area with the Kangaroos.

Andy Collins is the guy if we want to chase one of the most experienced coaches to add to our current AFL coaching panel. Has spent time coaching in SA in the past at West Adelaide, currently Sam Mitchell's lieutenant at the Hawks.

Last edited:
Mutineer Panther Blood

View attachment 2088313
I think South's Phoenix Hargrave and Benny Barrett will both be on an AFL list next year as well. Tall Jacob Sheean also has a state combine invite and though left field could be a smokey.

Flown under the radar a bit but a player type that the Crows could do with IMO.

Has a Vic State Draft combine invite so has AFL club interest, a solidly built 180cm Utility quick, agile, tough and skilled adept both as a smallish pressure forward that kicks bags and as a hard nosed smallish running defender, also looked capable when he's had squirts through the midfield. None tougher and harder at the contest in this draft.

Ollie has been consistently very good all year for the GWV Rebels (played 12 games. 10 times in the best players) whether playing back or forward and also for St.Pats in the school system along with 3 games for his local seniors team Sandhurst in the strong Bendigo Football Netball League.

Remove this Banner Ad

Resource 2024 AFL Draft discussion thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back