Resource 2024 AFL Draft discussion thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Flown under the radar a bit but a player type that the Crows could do with IMO.

Has a Vic State Draft combine invite so has AFL club interest, a solidly built 180cm Utility quick, agile, tough and skilled adept both as a smallish pressure forward that kicks bags and as a hard nosed smallish running defender, also looked capable when he's had squirts through the midfield. None tougher and harder at the contest in this draft.

Ollie has been consistently very good all year for the GWV Rebels (played 12 games. 10 times in the best players) whether playing back or forward and also for St.Pats in the school system along with 3 games for his local seniors team Sandhurst in the strong Bendigo Football Netball League.

where in the draft do you think he goes? Felt a bit uncomfortable as he looks to my eyes to have a lot of McHenry about him

where in the draft do you think he goes? Felt a bit uncomfortable as he looks to my eyes to have a lot of McHenry about him
Say what?

He's nothing like McHenry, very solidly built and quicker for starters, actually played a lot as a running defender for the Rebels until switchinf forward later this season, also played in defence for Vic Country. Can play back, forward or nidfield but I'd think AFL clubs will see him as a pressure forward....and he's as hard as a cat's head and plays that way.

Say what?

He's nothing like McHenry, very solidly built and quicker for starters, actually played a lot as a running defender for the Rebels until switchinf forward later this season, also played in defence for Vic Country. Can play back, forward or nidfield but I'd think AFL clubs will see him as a pressure forward....and he's as hard as a cat's head and plays that way.
and roughly where about in the draft do you reckon?

and roughly where about in the draft do you reckon?
Later given the hype has only started lately after he's played more defence than forward until recently, hence the call up to the State Combine has the AFL recruiters even more focused. It's a pretty strong draft for small/medium forwards so the fact he he's also effective in other areas probably helps his prospects. I'll guarantee you one thig none of them will attack the contest harder than Ollie.

Flown under the radar a bit but a player type that the Crows could do with IMO.

Has a Vic State Draft combine invite so has AFL club interest, a solidly built 180cm Utility quick, agile, tough and skilled adept both as a smallish pressure forward that kicks bags and as a hard nosed smallish running defender, also looked capable when he's had squirts through the midfield. None tougher and harder at the contest in this draft.

Ollie has been consistently very good all year for the GWV Rebels (played 12 games. 10 times in the best players) whether playing back or forward and also for St.Pats in the school system along with 3 games for his local seniors team Sandhurst in the strong Bendigo Football Netball League.

Shhhh I pray he keeps flying under the radar. Is a real beauty

From ESPN's Jasper Chellappah: "Draper isn't made in the image of Scott Pendlebury, where time seems to slow and the path forward open up. He's more in tune with Patrick Dangerfield, a bundle of energy eager to explode forward at all times. Whether there's space to escape does not matter to the 18-year-old; he takes on opponents with reckless abandon and has no qualms in fighting tackles through pace or brawn."

Draper and Danger are very, very different in style. Draper reminds me of Cousins in congestion where as Danger is and always has been a bull with rockets.

Some big games in Coates league

Shanahan another 6 goals - one of form players of the draft

Smilie BOG for eastern , back to form

Jagga smith dominant again - looks the pick 1

Langford 4 goals for dandy , outstanding season

FOS pretty good form for Sandy and showing his talent

Travaglia 2 goals but a bit quiet after copping a knock and spending time off ground

Draper quiet , south whacked

Anyone else ? Dodson ? WA boys ?

Travaglia 2 goals but a bit quiet after copping a knock and spending time off ground

Atta boy Draper, obviously trying to keep his stock low enough for us

A tough game for the Panthers and a tough game for Sid Draper, the first SANFL game this year in which he's struggled to have an impact. He appeared to be put off his game at center bounce early by the bigger and more experienced Glenelg mids that pushed him off his run at the ball. As a result he never really got going, and was eventually moved out of the middle to play off a forward flank in the second half, which starved him of opportunities with Glenelg dominating territory. He still managed one sequence where he burst clear and broke the lines with elite pace and agility before dishing off to create a goal for his teammate.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Super excited with our options this year with Lalor or Draper top of the list. I think Draper's disposal will get better when he gets used to the pace of the next level.

He seems a bit rushed in the SANFL but this was his Champs disposal...I know it's highlights but you can see he has the abilitu to be more composed with his kicks.

Sam Lalor leading possession getter on the ground in the Rebels vs the Falcons CTL games 25 D, 14K, 11 Hb, 5M, 3T, 6 i50's and a goal.

a1.PNG

No SANFL U18's this weekend.

Cody Curtin another 6 goals looking likely to join brother Dan in the AFL next year.

Last edited:
Sam Lalor leading possession getter on the ground in the Rebels vs the Falcons CTL games 25 D, 14K, 11 Hb, 5M, 3T, 6 i50's and a goal.

View attachment 2090754

Cody Curtin another 6 goals looking likely to join brother Dan in the AFL next year.
Getting Cody would have to help with retention.

View attachment 2090754

What pick range for Cody Curtin?

Big weekend for lots of the big names outside of Draper , but Draper has done more than enough already

Timely performances by Smillie FOS and Lalor

Lalor would have to be in alot of clubs top 5s by now I think

Jagga Smith likely goes pick 1

Jobe Shanahan might be 50/50 to go top 10 now too

Trainor prob has the biggest range , could go pick 2 to north or even miss top 10

Good numbers by a couple of unheralded but worthy draft prospects in the Cannons vs Jets game this arvo.

Western Jets Captain Lucca Grego (mid/defender/utility) 29D's 10K's 19Hb's 5Mks 1T 4 i50's 1 goal, played well all year in an ordinary Jets team always leading from the front. Gone alright in his 2 VFL games for Williamstown playing managed minutes.

Calder Cannons Nash King (midfielder) 34D's 10K's 24Hb's 4Mk's 6T's

Really like Lucca Grego with a later pick.

a1.PNG

Last edited:
Looks a ripper.

If I'm honest, my hope probably goes:

Draper,
Smith or Lalor (I really like watching Jagga)
O'Sullivan.

He looks fantastic - I'm just nervous about the club's ability to draft mids with flexibility, and then they just become flankers in our system.

Lalor is hopefully too good (and our needs too obvious) for that to happen.

Remove this Banner Ad

Resource 2024 AFL Draft discussion thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back