Resource 2024 AFL Draft discussion thread

Remove this Banner Ad

That’s a serious game in a final

Such a shame we will trade pick 25 for ANB when this is the draft to get a quality 10 yr small forward like this bloke

Hope we can engineer another pick somehow but I doubt it happens

Poor by us , wanting to get a little bit better short term at expense of alot better in long term
Tough ggressive little bugger hey!!
How about those 2nd, 3rd, 4th efforts there to go with a cuppla nice clearances when he had squirts on ball and 6 snags of course.

Poor by us - this thing that hasn't happened yet ...
Yet!
Too many of the media pundits seem to be pretty certain that is the case so it won't come as any surprise to anybody.

Like Jeffcrowe has said there are certainly several excellent small pressure goalkicking forward prospects that should be attainable around pick 25 possibly later in this draft.

I guess ANB will have 2 maybe 3 seasons where he will be a decent contributor but will we be a serious finals contender in that period? Ideally we get ANB and one of the small forwards for the future, no guesses what one I'm looking at.

Yet!
Too many of the media pundits seem to be pretty certain that is the case so it won't come as any surprise to anybody.

Like Jeffcrowe has said there are certainly several excellent small pressure goalkicking forward prospects that should be attainable around pick 25 possibly later in this draft.

I guess ANB will have 2 maybe 3 seasons where he will be a decent contributor but will we be a serious finals contender in that period? Ideally we get ANB and one of the small forwards for the future, no guesses what one I'm looking at.
If we trade 25 for ANB and say 38 coming back, any chance any of your small forwards may still be on the board around that pick? although getting ANB, I suspect we won't be drafting a small forward.

What about ruck prosects at the late 30's early 40's - anyone good that might still be there?

If we trade 25 for ANB and say 38 coming back, any chance any of your small forwards may still be on the board around that pick? although getting ANB, I suspect we won't be drafting a small forward.

What about ruck prosects at the late 30's early 40's - anyone good that might still be there?
It's possible but unlikely any of Joe Berry, Jasper Alger or Ollie Hannaford would still be there IMO.

Ruck Flynn Penry would definitely be worth a shot late/rookie though his late season form since resuming from injury could see him having suitors looking for a developing ruck to put time into.
I'd be certain he'd immediately be competitive at SANFL level if we were to move Strachan on, big lump of a lad already.

Poor by us - this thing that hasn't happened yet ...
Where there’s smoke there’s fire

Will be one of our worst moves ever if we miss out on Joe Berry or Ollie Hanna fire because we rushed to give melb pick 25 for ANB

I’m all for getting ANB in but it has to be measured against missing out on a 10 yr quality front half player like Berry Hannaford Angove Alger etc

Will be one of our worst moves ever if we miss out on Joe Berry or Ollie Hanna fire because we rushed to give melb pick 25 for ANB

I’m all for getting ANB in but it has to be measured against missing out on a 10 yr quality front half player like Berry Hannaford Angove Alger etc
Let's just keep our powder dry - I'm sure there will be plenty of opportunities to get upset about the things the club has done, once they've actually done them.

Looks unlikely we have the list spots anyway - may well be just pick 4 and Welsh from the draft

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

That’s a serious game in a final

Such a shame we will trade pick 25 for ANB when this is the draft to get a quality 10 yr small forward like this bloke

Hope we can engineer another pick somehow but I doubt it happens

Poor by us , wanting to get a little bit better short term at expense of alot better in long term

Draft picks - particularly after 20 - are all speculative and generally take time.
So yes we may miss a good player but we could just as easily be missing a McHenry or Jones etc.

Draft picks - particularly after 20 - are all speculative and generally take time.
So yes we may miss a good player but we could just as easily be missing a McHenry or Jones etc.

Well one things for sure if we use pick 25 in isolation and receive nothing back the likelihood is we get 2 maybe 3 years where ANB will be an assett hopefully though he doesn't come with an iron clad guarantee that will be the case. Small forwards like Joe Berry, Ollie Hannaford etc are more likely to be an assett when we're truly a finals contending team and for a far longer tenure.

Are you suggesting all the recruiters that have been interviewed publically are all mugs when they say this is a very deep draft and clubs are clamoring to trade next year's 1sts into this draft?

Well one things for sure if we use pick 25 in isolation and receive nothing back the likelihood is we get 2 maybe 3 years where ANB will be an assett hopefully though he doesn't come with an iron clad guarantee that will be the case. Small forwards like Joe Berry, Ollie Hannaford etc are more likely to be an assett when we're truly a finals contending team and for a far longer tenure.

Are you suggesting all the recruiters that have been interviewed publically are all mugs when they say this is a very deep draft and clubs are clamoring to trade next year's 1sts into this draft?

Not at all. Assuming we get a pick around 40 back we will pick a draftee that is going to be behind another 10-12 blokes to try and crack in to the 22 that’s all. We need our best 5-7 young guys to develop and get more experienced depth in. Yet again we have hamstrung ourselves by resigning 3-4 blokes that we will need to delist next year.
Everyone seems to consider this a super draft - we already locked in to a father son and I doubt we take another pick outside of 4 (upgrade someone) unless we have a complete failure of an off season and only bring ANB.

Given your comment I assume you would agree we should have at least 7 list vacancies to bring in 3-4 recruits plus 3-4 draftees?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Squad named for the U17's Futures game on Grand Final Day.
Couple of GWV Rebels lads stiff to not be in the mix, Archie Taylor who has an athletic profile most draftees could only dream about and especially Harley Hicks who has as much X factor as any of next year's draftees. :huh:

Over a third of the squad club-tied through Northern Academies or NGA Academies. :mad:

The overall squad will shortly be split into two teams, named after retiring champions Dyson Heppell and Rory Sloane. The game will be broadcast live and free via the AFL app and website, with profiles and scouting notes on every player afield to come on Rookie Me Central – stay tuned.

2024 AFL NATIONAL FUTURES SQUAD​

NAME STATE STATE LEAGUE CLUB COMMUNITY CLUB
Beau AddinsallQLDGold Coast Suns AcademyBurleigh
Tairon Ah-MuVIC CDandenong StingraysBerwick
Daniel AnnableQLDBrisbane Lions AcademyRedland-Victoria Point
Xavier BamertVIC MSandringham DragonsCollegians
Charlie BanfieldWAClaremontSwanbourne
Harley BarkerSASturtMt Barker
Thomas BurtonVIC MWestern JetsPoint Cook
Luke CandySAGlenelgBrighton
Lachlan CarmichaelNSW/ACTSydney Swans AcademyMosman
Noah ChamberlainNSW/ACTSydney Swans AcademyEast Sydney
Samuel CummingSANorth AdelaideWentworth
Cody CurtinWAClaremontWest Coast
Jack DaltonVIC MSandringham DragonsCamberwell
Cooper Duff-TytlerVIC MCalder CannonsWoodend-Hesket
Willem DuursmaVIC CGippsland PowerFoster
Louis EmmettVIC MOakleigh ChargersGlen Iris
Koby EvansWAPerthKenwick
Oliver GreevesVIC MEastern RangesVermont
Samuel GrljVIC MOakleigh ChargersOld Camberwell
Jasper HayTASTasmania DevilsClarence
Liam HethertonNSW/ACTMurray BushrangersNorth Albury
Noah
Hibbins-Hargreaves
VIC CDandenong StingraysMornington
Jack IsonVIC MOakleigh ChargersParkside
Blake KellyWASwan DistrictsCaversham
Max KingNSW/ACTSydney Swans AcademyCardiff Hawks
Bailey-Dean LatanisNSW/ACTGWS Giants AcademyIngleburn
Matthew LeRaySACentral DistrictGolden Grove
Josh LindsayVIC CGeelong FalconsNewtown & Chilwell
Archie LudowykeVIC MSandringham DragonsEast Sandringham
Thomas McGuaneVIC MWestern JetsKeilor
Taj MurrayNTNorthern Territory Academy
North Adelaide
Nightcliff
Jai MurrayQLDGold Coast Suns AcademyBroadbeach
Riley OnleyVIC CMurray BushrangersShepparton United
Dylan PattersonQLDGold Coast Suns AcademyPalm Beach Currumbin
Joshua ReicheltSACentral DistrictNuriootpa
Fred RodriguezWASouth FremantleFremantle City
Ben RongditVIC CGeelong FalconsColac
Kalen RussellNTNorthern Territory Academy
Sturt
Darwin Buffaloes
Aidan SchubertSACentral DistrictGawler Central
Dyson SharpSACentral DistrictBarossa District
Zeke UwlandQLDGold Coast Suns AcademyBurleigh
Wes WalleyWASubiacoWarwick Greenwood
Toby WhanWASouth FremantleRoleystone
Kalani WhiteQLDGold Coast Suns AcademyBroadbeach
Harrison WilsonNSW/ACTMurray BushrangersLavington Panthers
Lucas WoottonTASTasmania DevilsLaunceston
Samuel Cumming - Wentworth - any relation?

I agree speed and power is what we need. Just hearing that Smillie is our target. Hopefully a ruse!

would make no sense at all. still thats our lot

all the linking im hearing is actually lalor. most think draper will be gone pick 1 or 2. with jagga the alternative 1 or 2 not including ashcroft

Does Smillie play like Tom Green?

Had a few niggling injuries but when on he’s shown why he’s rated highly
Look I wouldn’t be upset if we went with Smillie but there’s better choices
My preference is

FOS
Lalor
Draper
Langford
Smillie
Smith
Is there a go home factor to consider as well? We’ve never had much luck with Vic metro players. Lalor and FOS seem a safer bet from western vic if we can’t get/ don’t want Draper.

Is there a go home factor to consider as well? We’ve never had much luck with Vic metro players. Lalor and FOS seem a safer bet from western vic if we can’t get/ don’t want Draper.
dont worry we wont pick smillie. that was the last draft. he is our bont/cripps. they will want something different. more i think the more i suspect its lalor. just completely different to everything else we have, country vic which they like. anyway draper will be gone purely because WC see draper as a lower go home risk than victorians.

Remove this Banner Ad

Resource 2024 AFL Draft discussion thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back