Resource 2024 AFL Draft discussion thread

Remove this Banner Ad

A fantastic individual season from Harvey Langford finally came to an end as he wasn't able to lift his team to victory over the Sandy Dragons who've become the final boss of the Talent League in recent years. He's already taken home the Larke medal, and must be one of the hottest favourites for the Morrish medal which would cap off a glittering season of consistently elite play in which he stepped up at every level and met every challenge along the way.

Thanks. First time really looking at him

More an outside mid rather than in?

Nice leg nice hands

My only real concern is (early in the piece) a desire or motion to go back inside the congestion , He may find stronger quicker bodies will hold him down more. Again a minor teachable issue - is this common to his game?

Thanks for the highlights

Thanks. First time really looking at him

More an outside mid rather than in?

Nice leg nice hands

My only real concern is (early in the piece) a desire or motion to go back inside the congestion , He may find stronger quicker bodies will hold him down more. Again a minor teachable issue - is this common to his game?

Thanks for the highlights
I've done most of his games for the year if you wanted to dig deeper, a link to my channel is in my signature. I'll link a couple more below.

He's pretty balanced at this level with his inside/outside game, but the concern many of us have is that he tested really poorly in pre-season for agility and 20m sprint so there are questions around his suitability to play pure midfield at AFL level. Lots of eyes will be on his combine results. If he can't show improvement there it might relegate him to playing as a wing or flank at AFL level, which would diminish his draft value I would suggest.

It looks like Richmond will probably have 3 top 10 picks (getting two from Fremantle as part of the trades).
I'd love to be bold and trade a future 1st for one of them and extra.

Say:
Our F1 (could be pick 4-10)

For pick 10 (Richmond getting from Fremantle) + pick 21 (maybe some other pick swaps as well that favour Richmond to even out a bit).

That could net you Sam Lalor, Draper and Dodson.

Add Cummins and ANB and it's a very good off season.
Zero chance Richmond does that.

It's incredibly rare that a club gets a top ten pick for a F1.

There's too much chance the club you're trading with gets a good run and you end up with a pick 12+ on return.

Yeah, but they'd want a pick around 16 and a F1 for it, AND Baker wouldn't be what you would use pick 10 on. That would be Shai Bolton.
maybe / maybe not. If they think we will miss the 8 next year and be a bottom 6 club again..its a risk, but not out of the question, then a top 6 pick + their own next year may well land Warner who they really really want. They might be open to it with one of this years bottom placed sides...who knows?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If there was a chance to flip our f1 into the 1st round of this draft to target say Travaglia or use it to get Lukosius with maybe some change coming back, i know which way i would be going and i would be wishing Lukosius well at GC
you need to understand that these are desperate men to keep their jobs and immediate success. none of these draftees will make that much difference next year. thats all they care about now. tik tok the bomb is about to go off so they will sell the farm to get to the 8 next year I am sure

maybe / maybe not. If they think we will miss the 8 next year and be a bottom 6 club again..its a risk, but not out of the question, then a top 6 pick + their own next year may well land Warner who they really really want. They might be open to it with one of this years bottom placed sides...who knows?
I think we will be somewhere near where we ended up this year. I expect Melb, GC,SK to have better years. Essendon is a ?.. Freo and Collingwood will be better.
A F1 will be a high pick we must keep at this point.

I’ll do my top 25 this week
Please do your view on needs for u
I think we will be somewhere near where we ended up this year. I expect Melb, GC,SK to have better years. Essendon is a ?.. Freo and Collingwood will be better.
A F1 will be a high pick we must keep at this point.
Our F1 is like a big 🎁 under the xmas tree thats got somebody elses name on it

1. Jagga Smith
  2. Toby Travaglia ***
  3. Sam Lalor ***
  4. Finn O’Sullivan ***
  5. Leo Lombard Academy
  6. Sid Draper ***
  7. Harvey Langford **
  8. Levi Ashcroft FS
  9. Luke Trainor
  10. Josh Smillie *
  11. Jobe Shanahan
  12. Xavier Lindsay *
  13. Alix Tauru
  14. Harvey Armstrong
  15. Joe Berrry *
  16. Murphy Reid
  17. Izak Kako NGA
  18. Alex Dodson *
  19. Sam Marshall Academy
  20. Cooper Hynes *
  21. Bo Allan *
  22. Jack Whitlock
  23. Ollie Hannaford *
  24. Cody Angove *
  25. Jonty Faull

*** suit us with pick 4

**next best

*suit us with any later picks after 4

Prob missed one or two and haven’t considered Taj Hotton as haven’t seen him play

But basically the ones with * I like for us

Ie
1. Travaglia
2. Lalor
3. O’Sullivan
4. Draper
5. Langford
6. Smillie
7. Lindsay
8. Berry
9. Dodson
10. Hynes
11. Allan
12. Hannaford
13. Angove

Given 8-13 of my priority list for us have some chance of being there at pick 25 I’d hate to use that pick on ANB and would find some other way

Last edited:
My top 30:

1. Leonardo Lombard (GC)
  2. Sid Draper
  3. Jagga Smith
  4. Sam Lalor
  5. Finn O’Sullivan
  6. Levi Ashcroft (Bris)
  7. Luke Trainor
  8. Xavier Lindsay
  9. Tobie Travaglia
  10. Josh Smillie
  11. Bo Allan
  12. Jobe Shanahan
  13. Jonty Faull
  14. Alix Tauru
  15. Harvey Langford
  16. Joe Berry
  17. Taj Hotton
  18. Isaac Kako (Ess)
  19. Murphy Reid
  20. Cooper Hynes
  21. Harry O’Farrell
  22. Harry Armstrong
  23. Alex Dodson
  24. Jack Whitlock
  25. Matt Whitlock
  26. Sam Marshall (Bris)
  27. Ollie Hannaford
  28. Josh Murphy
  29. Lachie Jaques
  30. Tom Gross
Disclaimer - even though I have Lalor lower than Draper/Jagga, I’d have him #1 for our needs, as he provides the best complete package for what we need from a mid prospect

1. Jagga Smith
  2. Toby Travaglia ***
  3. Sam Lalor ***
  4. Finn O’Sullivan ***
  5. Leo Lombard Academy
  6. Sid Draper ***
  7. Harvey Langford **
  8. Levi Ashcroft FS
  9. Luke Trainor
  10. Josh Smillie *
  11. Jobe Shanahan
  12. Xavier Lindsay *
  13. Alix Tauru
  14. Harvey Armstrong
  15. Joe Berrry *
  16. Murphy Reid
  17. Izak Kako NGA
  18. Alex Dodson *
  19. Sam Marshall Academy
  20. Cooper Hynes *
  21. Bo Allan *
  22. Jack Whitlock
  23. Ollie Hannaford *
  24. Cody Angove *
  25. Jonty Faull

*** suit us with pick 4

**next best

*suit us with any later picks after 4

Prob missed one or two and haven’t considered Taj Hotton as haven’t seen him play

But basically the ones with * I like for us

Ie
1. Travaglia
2. Lalor
3. O’Sullivan
4. Draper
5. Langford
6. Smillie
7. Lindsay
8. Berry
9. Dodson
10. Hynes
11. Allan
12. Hannaford
13. Angove

Given 8-13 of my priority list for us have some chance of being there at pick 25 I’d hate to use that pick on ANB and would find some other way
why does travalia pip lalor for our needs?

Remove this Banner Ad

Resource 2024 AFL Draft discussion thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back