Resource 2024 AFL Draft discussion thread

Remove this Banner Ad

I mean Toumpas went WAY higher in his draft than Cook did in his.

Tom Doedee was probably another who went well above projections.

Yeah but both were bolters....

Doedee wasn't a bolter - he was a surprise and a reach.

*FYI - I am just asking a question. Genuinely interested if these bolters are generally successful or failures or 50/50 - which Jeff answered adequately.

Marcus Bontempelli sends his kindest regards.

Does he Captain? Does he really?

The issue here is that Bont wasn't a bolter. He went #4 in 2013. Sure it was a few spots early, but he was considered a top 10 pick in 2012 by a bunch of draft experts.

Here is a link to a draft expert having Bont top 10 in 2012.

Gee James Aish has carved himself a DMac kinda career hasnt he.

3 clubs, hasnt really been spectacular at any of them but is a pro and does all the team things to keep himself selected.

Anyone mentioned the U16 Medallist?

PlayerClubVotes
Kodah EdwardsSouth Adelaide25
Memphis WebbNorth Adelaide23
Archie Van DykSouth Adelaide22
Jacob McNicolGlenelg21
Jack GordonCentral District
Pretty sure Thunderstruck is all across Kodah and other U16's lads coming through as well.
Interesting to find Jermaine Miller is a ridgey didge Crows NGA according to Draft journalist Dan Batten, Eddie Betts and Graham Johncock's nephew.

Lively small forward Jermaine Miller, tied to Adelaide’s NGA, turned it on with four first-half goals for South Australia in their win over Vic Metro, one of those a great finish at speed from 40 metres on the run.

Jermaine Miller celebrates one of his four goals. Picture: Chris Hyde/AFL Photos/via Getty Images

Jermaine Miller celebrates one of his four goals. Picture: Chris Hyde/AFL Photos/via Getty Images
Miller has strong links to the Crows as the nephew of Adelaide and Carlton legend Eddie Betts and 227-game Crow Graham Johncock.

By ZAC MILBANK

A sensational seven-goal second term catapulted South Australia to a comfortable 32-point win against Victoria Metro in Game 2 of the Marsh AFL U16 National Championships on the Gold Coast.

Coming off a hard-fought 10-point win against Western Australia in Game 1 at Thebarton, the Croweaters displayed supreme efficiency with ball in hand as they handled the slippery conditions far better than their opponents.

Having kept the Big V to just five behinds in the opening term, Heath Younie’s charges started brightly to lead by 14 points at the opening change.

Crafty SA goalsneak Jermaine Miller was at the coalface of his team’s match-winning surge, booting the third goal of the first term before setting up teammate Memphis Webb for the opening major of the second stanza.

Miller, from Central District, then exploded to boot three of SA’s next five goals in succession, including a classy finish on the run after dodging around his opponent from 40m.

Hard-running Taj Garrett kicked the Croweaters’ only goal of the third term on the run from 25m as Victoria Metro looked to respond in the second half.

But some mature slow play to retain possession and take the sting out of the opposition’s charge in the fourth term ensured the margin would remain beyond five goals, as tall forward Ryan Davies nailed his set shot from 30m.

Miller finished with four majors while Kangaroo Island product Cain Florance hit the scoreboard with three.

SA joint vice-captain Dougie Cochrane was named by the coaching staff as the Croweaters’ best performer, with consistent midfielder Archie Van Dyk and captain Kodah Edwards also rated highly.

SA will now prepare for its final contest of the tournament as it looks to remain undefeated with three victories in succession to give itself a chance of claiming the championship.

Game 3 is on Friday, against Victoria Country at Southport’s Fankhauser Reserve, from 11.15am SA time.

SA U18 Awards​

State Youth Match – 18th May at Thebarton Oval
SA U18 15.4 (94) d SA U20 9.13 (67)
Most Valuable Player
Charlie Nicholls (Central District)

CARNIVAL AWARDS
Championship Game 1 – 26th May at Thebarton Oval

South Australia 13.9 (87) d Allies 11.9 (75)
Most Valuable Player
Dyson Sharp (Central District)

Championship Game 2 – 9th June at IKON Park
Victoria Country 13.9 (87) d South Australia 11.13 (79)
Most Valuable Player
Alex Dodson (Sturt)

Championship Game 3 – 16th June Alberton Oval
Western Australia 17.7 (109) d South Australia 6.12 (48)
Most Valuable Player
Lucas Camporeale (Glenelg)

Chanpionship Game 4 – 30th June at Alberton Oval
Victoria Metro 15.11 (101) South Australia 7.7 (49)
Most Valuable Player
Phoenix Hargrave (South Adelaide)

SANFL AWARDS
Ron Coleman Award – Best Team Man

Jacob Newton (Norwood)

Player’s Player Award – Team First
Kade Herbert (Woodville-West Torrens)

John Halbert Medal – Most Valuable Player Award

Ben Camporeale (Glenelg)

ALL-AUSTRALIANS

Alex Dodson (Sturt)
Ben Camporeale (Glenelg)
Sid Draper (South Adelaide)

SA U16 Awards​

Dougie-Cochrane-Norm-Grimm-Medal-2024-Argent.png

2024 Norm Grimm Medal winner Dougie Cochrane (middle) with SA Football Commission Deputy Chair Nicole Haack (left) and SA U16 coach Heath Younie. Picture – Peter Argent
CARNIVAL AWARDS
Game 1 – 22nd June at Thebarton Oval

South Australia 10.8 (68) d Western Australia 8.10 (58)
Most Valuable Player
Archie Van Dyk (South Adelaide)

Game 2 – 9th July at People First Stadium
South Australia 12.8 (80) d Victoria Metro 6.12 (48)
Most Valuable Player
Dougie Cochrane (Central District)

Game 3 – 12th July at Fankhauser Reserve
Victoria Country 9.11 (65) d South Australia 9.10 (64)
Most Valuable Player
Cain Florance (South Adelaide)

INDIVIDUAL AWARDS
Ron Coleman Award – Best Team Man

Kodah Edwards (South Adelaide)

Dr Henry Kneebone – Achievement Award

Ethan Herbert (North Adelaide)

Norm Grimm Medal – Most Valuable Player

Kevin Sheehan Medal – Most outstanding player for the Championships

ALL-AUSTRALIANS

Jack Gordon (Central District)
Ethan Herbert (North Adelaide)
Archie Van Dyk (South Adelaide)
Angus White (South Adelaide)

Yeah but both were bolters....

Doedee wasn't a bolter - he was a surprise and a reach.

*FYI - I am just asking a question. Genuinely interested if these bolters are generally successful or failures or 50/50 - which Jeff answered adequately.
I don't know the answer to this, but just a suggestion: was Clayton Oliver a bolter?

Yeah the funny thing about the Kings was max was always better but thru injuries form kicking etc Ben is having better career

I got Jack about 5% better than Matt but may mean nothing
Fake news Jeff 😉
Max the better player despit GC going inside 50 seven more times a game than Saints and the gap will widen next year.

IMG_1955.jpeg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

As long as he doesn’t take 7 years to hit his peak (I don’t think Lalor would take that long FWIW, but definitely longer than Draper/Jagga, for instance)
I disagree.

Lalor is built for AFL, with Burgess's expertise he will gun it up from day 1.

I disagree.

Lalor is built for AFL, with Burgess's expertise he will gun it up from day 1.
No doubt re: his physique, but his proneness to injury this year gives me slight concern re: whether he'll take time to adjust to AFL-level training regimes. Could just be a lack of luck, though

I feel like you've posted them before, but do you have his previous endurance/time trial numbers on hand?

No doubt re: his physique, but his proneness to injury this year gives me slight concern re: whether he'll take time to adjust to AFL-level training regimes. Could just be a lack of luck, though

I feel like you've posted them before, but do you have his previous endurance/time trial numbers on hand?
Unlike the other 2 he's much more than a midfielder, he'll no doubt play his early footy more forward than midfield...he's a weapon and has far more penetration with his kick as well.

Unlike the other 2 he's much more than a midfielder, he'll no doubt play his early footy more forward than midfield...he's a weapon and has far more penetration with his kick as well.
Agree with that also, but I'm talking about the time he'll take to move into the midfield

I think he'll be a slower burn in that regard, but with greater payoff than Draper/Jagga (you look at a A++ guy like Trac for instance, who took until his 6th year to properly break out - well, 5th if you don't count the ACL rookie year)

Remove this Banner Ad

Resource 2024 AFL Draft discussion thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back