Resource 2024 AFL Draft discussion thread

Remove this Banner Ad

How does that tell you that?
Did Connor Mcleod play for the magpies?
Does it not go on your zone?
Well given Jackson, Luke and Brodie Edwards were tied to Glenelg through the zones might be an indicator...Plus the fact he only has 3 sons.

Agree with that also, but I'm talking about the time he'll take to move into the midfield

I think he'll be a slower burn in that regard, but with greater payoff than Draper/Jagga (you look at a A++ guy like Trac for instance, who took until his 6th year to properly break out - well, 5th if you don't count the ACL rookie year)
You think Draper and Smith will play starting midfield from round 1 2025?

Not every one knows the full family history of each of our ex players.
I'm not interested in getting in a shit fight with you, given all 3 Edwards played for Glenelg it was obvious.

Ollie Hannaford played midfield today in the CTL Grand Final and was best on for the Rebels in their 6 goal loss to the talent laden Dragons.

24 Disposals, 17 kicks, 7 handballs, 7 clearances, 9 tackles, 7 i50's and a goal.

Has to be pushing into a 1st round chance I think.

Lalor has the presence and the look of the modern gun. Raynor, Dusty, Petracca, Dangerfield - they keep popping up in big games.

He'd fit in nicely to our mix of Dawson, Soligo, Rankine and Rachele. Curtin seems to me potentially more an Embley type - a tall powerful running flanker or wing.

I am still comforted by the calls that we can't go wrong with our pick 4 and will be excited if that is the South Australian, but if Lalor is there, I really hope we pick him.

Lalor has the presence and the look of the modern gun. Raynor, Dusty, Petracca, Dangerfield - they keep popping up in big games.

He'd fit in nicely to our mix of Dawson, Soligo, Rankine and Rachele. Curtin seems to me potentially more an Embley type - a tall powerful running flanker or wing.

I am still comforted by the calls that we can't go wrong with our pick 4 and will be excited if that is the South Australian, but if Lalor is there, I really hope we pick him.
I totally agree about Lalor. He just looks like a match winner doesn’t he? My only query is that everytime I see him, he impacts the game much more as a forward than as a midfielder. While that isn’t necessarily a bad thing, for us with our current midfield whoes, would Langford or Draper, who are pure midfielders, suit our needs more?

Alternatively, as much as I love the thought of Lukoscius playing for us, if we can turn our F1 into another top 10 pick this year, then getting Langford/Draper and Lalor could set this team up for the next decade.

I totally agree about Lalor. He just looks like a match winner doesn’t he? My only query is that everytime I see him, he impacts the game much more as a forward than as a midfielder. While that isn’t necessarily a bad thing, for us with our current midfield whoes, would Langford or Draper, who are pure midfielders, suit our needs more?

Alternatively, as much as I love the thought of Lukoscius playing for us, if we can turn our F1 into another top 10 pick this year, then getting Langford/Draper and Lalor could set this team up for the next decade.
He's absolutely impacted in the middle in the CTL games he's played

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There's been quite a few with more serious injuries like an ACL and that didn't stop them getting drafted most quite high too. Jale Lever, Elijah Hollands, Brodie Kemp and Brayden George in more recent times.

Jye Caldwell hardly played at all after his U16 year with numerous hamstring issues yet still went relatively high considering his history. This is Sam Lalor's 1st hamstring and I've previously detailed what led to it.

Ollie Hotton did an ACL at the start of the CTL season but likely still goes 1st round.

It's not 1960 it's 2024 where medicine, surgery, medical appliances, physio equipment and general knowledge in elite sport are cutting edge.

Then there's Milera, Doedee, McPherson, Brad Crouch, Troy Menzel too.

It's obviously not a big reason why you'd give them a miss, but at that stage of the draft where there are a lot of good players still there....
Did Milera, Doedee, Crouch have injury issues leading up to when they were drafted? IIRC they became more recurring in the years after

Did Milera, Doedee, Crouch have injury issues leading up to when they were drafted? IIRC they became more recurring in the years after
Brad had had some hamstring issues but it's groins at the Crows and a knee that's finally got him.

They did yes.

Wayne's knees have always been a bit suspect
Only issue Wayne had was a heart rhythm thingy which was operated on prior to his draft, from memory it was picked up in a pre draft medical.

Only issue Wayne had was a heart rhythm thingy which was operated on prior to his draft, from memory it was picked up in a pre draft medical.
I know for a fact he had bad knees too, family has all had them.

Correct on the heart issue.

The point I was making though, with Lalor if we or any club are concerned then there's plenty of other kids around you can pick at that stage of the draft.

Could slide further than his talent should.

He's absolutely impacted in the middle in the CTL games he's played

Thanks for that, he certainly has power doesn’t he? Look I’m sold, I think he complements Dawson, Curtin and Rankine really well, who all are very different midfielders but who can all cause damage forward as well. Add Soligo and Maybe Rachelle and it becomes a midfield with huge potential. I have really high hopes for Dowling as well.

I know for a fact he had bad knees too, family has all had them.

Correct on the heart issue.

The point I was making though, with Lalor if we or any club are concerned then there's plenty of other kids around you can pick at that stage of the draft.

Could slide further than his talent should.
There's really not anyone else that offers close to his unique set of weapons. He's a game breaker in the style of Jordan DeGoey, Dusty, Christian Petracca with his strength, explosiveness and penetration and like those guys highly effective when he gets forward and rattling the scoreboard. No doubt there's others with special attributes in and around our pick but for mine perhaps the only other one that has similar penetration is Harvey Langford and Lalor has him by plenty athletically.

There's really not anyone else that offers close to his unique set of weapons. He's a game breaker in the style of Jordan DeGoey, Dusty, Christian Petracca with his strength, explosiveness and penetration and like those guys highly effective when he gets forward and rattling the scoreboard. No doubt there's others with special attributes in and around our pick but for mine perhaps the only other one that has similar penetration is Harvey Langford and Lalor has him by plenty athletically.
We havent really been put off by injuries before, but I think it'll be hard to ignore Draper if he's there.

We havent really been put off by injuries before, but I think it'll be hard to ignore Draper if he's there.
Would be very surprised if WCE doesn't take him

The only way I can see him not being taken there is if Richmond has the pick, after trading 9 and Baker for 3 (and I highly doubt WCE agrees to that)

Even Sid had some pretty severe shin splints (medial tibial stress syndrome) this season that saw him miss half the season, work/training loads will ramp up at AFL level so who's to say he won't have recurring issues? That's why we pay Burgo the big bucks.

I've had a look at all the potential Draftee's at our #4 pick

The question in my mind, is which player suits the way the game is heading .....and our current Midfield mix

Do we need the power & Dusty like qualities of Lalor .....or that in close & breakaway speed of Draper

Lalor has the positional flexibility, which Draper doesn't .....has he the speed & aerobic capacity to two-way run at AFL level, against midfield's that are getting quicker each year ?

Mutineer, Jeffcrowe might be able to throw some light on the above

I'd be happy with either Lalor, or Draper

Remove this Banner Ad

Resource 2024 AFL Draft discussion thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back