Resource 2024 AFL Draft discussion thread

Remove this Banner Ad

This draft is fascinating for multiple reasons.

1. Anyone in the top 15 could end up being the best pick this year
2. North at 2 really don’t need a midfielder and apparently love Tauru.
3. GC have 3 firsts they have to move because an academy bid could come before 6.
4. Essendon at 9 might have a bid on Kako before that.
5. Brisbanes pick is up for grabs because of F/S bids.
6. Three clubs have double picks.
7. One of those is Freo who want future picks for a go at Warner next year.
8. There’s an SA midfielder who looks potential A grader available around our pick.

It’s a brave man who tries to do a mock draft at this stage.

So what would be the dream outcome at pick 4?
What's the most likely?
Will we take Draper, even though he seems to be mostly listed around pick 8-10?
Will we avoid Vic Metro again even though the best prospects at pick 4 look like being metro boys?
Draper is a GUN. more than held his own against men in the SANFL. If we get him, we will be very happy.

Screenshot_20241005_084322_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20241005_084343_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20241005_084400_Chrome.jpg

Only just onto this board since April but as our draft hand is now clearer, it's time.

I'm sorry if this has been asked previously.

What would this board think about a pick swap with GC. Our F1 for their 13 this year?

I understand the risks for both parties but also the rewards. Pick 4 &13 in a strong draft should compliment our trades and really set us up for the future. Pick 4 plus Dodson maybe?

Thoughts??..
I'll let others talk about list spots, but ...

I don't think it's quite enough.

I think 13 and F2 for our F1, 28 and 45 would be the offer, but with picks blowing out that doesn't seem like it gets it done, and then it's unclear what we'd use for ANB and Peatling.

I've been firing up the old PlayStation to see if there was a way to trade back into the first round, but the only version that I can see MAYBE working is Peatling and 16 for our F1.

So what would be the dream outcome at pick 4?
What's the most likely?
Will we take Draper, even though he seems to be mostly listed around pick 8-10?
Will we avoid Vic Metro again even though the best prospects at pick 4 look like being metro boys?
Draper is tipped by many to go before our pick - WCE seems likely.

Honestly, it's a bit of a relief there's three picks before us, because there's about five or six excellent players and it's really hard to choose.

3. GC have 3 firsts they have to move because an academy bid could come before 6.
8. There’s an SA midfielder who looks potential A grader available around our pick.

Yep , it’s already changing from consensus

It depends on who was available at that pick. I don't think a future 1st on Dodson is worth it. But if there is a draft slider, yes
Agree but have further thoughts.

As a stand alone transaction, it's expensive for us. I however think this is the premium we pay for using a future pick.

I mention Dodson as after pick 4 and our trade season and our overall list balance, our ruck stocks are a stand out next priority. As I said earlier, it's expensive... but it fixes our greatest priority with an excellent candidate... right now. I understand rucks take time but our maturing list can afford that for the right candidate.

Rucks are widely debated about how useful they are, suitable price etc. But after attending the Geelong preliminary final recently, I'm convinced that big Joe was a significant part of the win for Brisbane. Once Oscar left the game, Joe was rucking and important around the ball. Significantly so.

My belief is that average rucks aren't worth much, but a good ruck adds much more than a few taps. Almost an extra player around the scrimmage. Is Dodson this player?

Fascinating draft this year BTW. 😁

The only mock draft you can trust is Cal Twomey's the day before the draft. Mainly because it's leaks.

Phantoms and draft rankings will vary wildly between people.

I’m still unsure which young mid will best complement our midfield rotations in 2026 and beyond.

The power and explosiveness of Lalor?
The clean hands and agility of Smith?
The all round qualities of O’Sullivan?
The pace and skills of Draper?

It’s going to be a bloody tough call. Glad I’m not making it.

I’m still unsure which young mid will best complement our midfield rotations in 2026 and beyond.

The power and explosiveness of Lalor?
The clean hands and agility of Smith?
The all round qualities of O’Sullivan?
The pace and skills of Draper?

It’s going to be a bloody tough call. Glad I’m not making it.
Thankfully, I guess, we won't have to make the decision.....we just take whoever is left.

Apart from speculation from within this board, is there anything (media reports?) to suggest that the crows are eyeing off an additional first rounder this year to nab Dodson?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Apart from speculation from within this board, is there anything (media reports?) to suggest that the crows are eyeing off an additional first rounder this year to nab Dodson?
A couple of AFL.com articles about a number of clubs including us eyeing the Suns P12.

But nothing with any sort of confidence.

LDU has plenty of power and burst from stoppage.

The end product his issue.

North are an interesting watch this draft.
Is a RFA end of next year, I would like to throw the war chest at him.
Draft Draper this year if available, gives us excellent speed with Peatling.
Add in Cumming, a bit of organic growth and I’m happy .

Todays 'Tiser.

CROWS SKIPPER’S MESSAGE OFSUPPORT FOR DRAFT HOPE

Top South Australian draft prospect Sid Draper says he has “no reservations”about joining the Crows in November’s AFL national draft and is confident achronic back injury won’t affect his football future.A potential top-five pick, Draper revealed on Friday that he had received atext message of support from Adelaide captain Jordan Dawson after a storylast week suggested that the 18-year-old had concerns about joiningAdelaide – the club he grew up supporting.The story stated that the concerns centred on how Adelaide had managedsome of its younger players, but Draper has since shot it down.“I don’t know how that came about,” Draper said. “My family and mymanager have never ever said anything of the sort. What Adelaide do withtheir players is completely up to them and that does not hold me back in anyway at the club.“I’d be more than happy to go to the Crows. There’s no reservations at all.“(Dawson) sent me a lovely message of support just saying I handled it welland that made me feel really good.”Draper is not testing at this weekend’s draft combine in Melbourne, with themidfielder managing a back issue called chronic pars defect, which is a stressfracture of bones in the lower spine.“I’ve had it for years and it’s become symptomatic now,” Draper said.“The doctors and physio reassured me it won’t hamper my football at all. Iam starting to get back into running and going to the gym now. By November20th, I’ll be fit and ready to go.”A dynamic onballer, Draper played six senior games for South Adelaide in theSANFL this season, averaging 22.2 disposals and 4.7 clearances.10/5/24, 11:37 AM The Advertiserhttps://todayspaper.adelaidenow.com.au/html5/reader/production/default.aspx?pubname=&edid=b5c9d757-1050-4944-a101-9f067edd1766 1/2He also captained South Australia at the under-18 national championships,after missing the start of the season with a shin stress fracture.

Mutineer , which key position forward would you draft at the back end of the draft , say 50+
Jobe Shanahan or Jonty Faull for mine aren't inferior to the draftee getting talked up the nost by Twomey and other nedia draft guys Harry Armstrong as future KPF prospects but all should be gone before that.

WWT's Charlie West should be available late/rookie and IMO he has plenty of attributes that suggest AFL, contested marking his big assett.

Agree but have further thoughts.

As a stand alone transaction, it's expensive for us. I however think this is the premium we pay for using a future pick.

I mention Dodson as after pick 4 and our trade season and our overall list balance, our ruck stocks are a stand out next priority. As I said earlier, it's expensive... but it fixes our greatest priority with an excellent candidate... right now. I understand rucks take time but our maturing list can afford that for the right candidate.

Rucks are widely debated about how useful they are, suitable price etc. But after attending the Geelong preliminary final recently, I'm convinced that big Joe was a significant part of the win for Brisbane. Once Oscar left the game, Joe was rucking and important around the ball. Significantly so.

My belief is that average rucks aren't worth much, but a good ruck adds much more than a few taps. Almost an extra player around the scrimmage. Is Dodson this player?

Fascinating draft this year BTW. 😁
Dodson is more of a get involved around the ground type ruck than a pure ruck contest ruck , he’s pure ruck work needs work

He’s maybe like a taller Grundy

Remove this Banner Ad

Resource 2024 AFL Draft discussion thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back